Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The Hawks and OKC are tied at 77. At the half. Atlanta scored 39 then 38 points. OKC went for 43 in the first quarter, then 34 in the 2nd.

There's an outside chance both teams break 150.

That'd be epic.
    Philly Brooklyn ended up being a higher scoring game by 1 point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Memphis is at Golden State tonight. If the Dubs truly still have the "on" switch, I suggest they start reaching for it now. They're in the middle of a playoff scrum that's got slots 4-13 in the West within 4 games of each other. Yet Memphis is legit good, and that's the sort of team Golden State has to start demonstrating that it can beat. Tonight would be a good time to start. Also, if they keep spinning their wheels, then maybe they're just a team that's going to spin its wheels.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Well I picked a great game to go to tonight.

Dame not only scored 60 points for the 4th time in his career tying Michael Jordan for 3rd place on the All-time list of 60+ pt games (Kobe with 6 and Wilt with many), but Dame's effort was the most efficient display of shooting in all of NBA history for anyone who ever put up 29 or more attempts in a game. His eFG% of 87.9 set a new record for that many attempts. His 87.9 eFG% tonight was also the highest percentage of anyone in the NBA this season in a game where at least 10 shots were attempted.

His ISO effort tonight was also the best in the NBA, creating 22 ISO shots for himself tonight with a 2.0 pts per ISO result.

His Off-the-Dribble eFG% of 82.0 tonight was also the best in the NBA this season.

He was great Defensively, too, with 3 steals, contested shots....he pulled down 7 Rebounds and dished out 8 Assists.

With three minutes to go and a chance for a career high with one more basket, he didn't...wasn't interested, as he shrugged off his teammates waiving them to go run something else, content with the 60. Chauncey pulled him over with a minute to go while Simons was at the free throw line and said, "Dame, what are you doing? I'm leaving you in so you can get your career high. Get another bucket." So, he took one more, missed it, and Drew slammed it back through for another exclamation bucket. Dame is very humble and truly didn't care. Very interesting on a night where they had shown Melo's only 60-pt effort of his career on NBATV earlier.

Lillard is incredible so often that it comes as another day at the office when he plays like this. He was totally exhausted by the time the 3rd Quarter was over and he had 50 at that point. His best basket of the night, they didn't count,...a flying one-handed slam, where he was fouled and went to the line and sank free throws instead.

Simons tried to give the game away with 8 bad plays in a row over the stretch of 3 minutes of the 4th, but UTA couldn't take advantage of Simons' mistakes.

Hart, the Blazers' #1 Trade Chip, hurt his hamstring and didn't play the 2nd Half. Little started in his place, and this opens up a great opportunity for the team to get bigger at the Wings if Little is given the Start over Sharpe when we face Toronto. Sharpe is from Toronto, so Chauncey may choose to go that route, but with Anunoby as the Wing he'll have to go against, Little would be the much better choice, and deserves to get that opportunity as Naz has been playing very well since his return a few games ago.

I was at Petrie's 51 vs HOU back in 1973, 50 years ago. But, I saw Petrie hotter than that hitting 19 in a 1st Quarter (he ended up with 44 in that one, I believe, and that was also in '73, maybe early '74). That 51 was 19 buckets, if I remember, but I don't remember the attempts. Dame was 21-29 tonight, 9-15 from Deep with several 28-34 feet that went in. He took a 40-footer heat check after sinking a couple from 32+, but it didn't go in.

Heck of a game. Went with the Step-Daughter, Father-in-Law and a friend of his. They also went Monday to the franchise-record 119 points after 3 quarters against San Antonio. I stayed home for that one and didn't use the ticket, but I wanted to see what they could do against a team that will at least try to play some type of Defense. UTA's not playing great Defense right now, but it's much better than San Antonio, a team that doesn't play any at all...even less than Portland.

One game at a time. Try to play 4 Quarters well against TOR on Saturday. TOR did a number against the Kings in Sacramento tonight dominating points in the paint 58-42, so TOR seems to have gotten themselves straightened out. With all of that talent of TOR around the paint, Little's size over Hart's is going to be a huge asset to give POR a chance to hold off the Raptors Saturday Night. Big games will be needed from Grant, Nurk and Eubanks, along with Little. The team really needs Winslow to get back and join the front court for games like this.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-26-2023 at 02:30 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Betterread (01-26-2023),goreds2 (01-26-2023),klw (01-26-2023),M2 (01-26-2023),Revering4Blue (01-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Well I picked a great game to go to tonight.

Dame not only scored 60 points for the 4th time in his career tying Michael Jordan for 3rd place on the All-time list of 60+ pt games (Kobe with 6 and Wilt with many), but Dame's effort was the most efficient display of shooting in all of NBA history for anyone who ever put up 29 or more attempts in a game. His eFG% of 87.9 set a new record for that many attempts. His 87.9 eFG% tonight was also the highest percentage of anyone in the NBA this season in a game where at least 10 shots were attempted.

His ISO effort tonight was also the best in the NBA, creating 22 ISO shots for himself tonight with a 2.0 pts per ISO result.

His Off-the-Dribble eFG% of 82.0 tonight was also the best in the NBA this season.

He was great Defensively, too, with 3 steals, contested shots....he pulled down 7 Rebounds and dished out 8 Assists.

With three minutes to go and a chance for a career high with one more basket, he didn't...wasn't interested, as he shrugged off his teammates waiving them to go run something else, content with the 60. Chauncey pulled him over with a minute to go while Simons was at the free throw line and said, "Dame, what are you doing? I'm leaving you in so you can get your career high. Get another bucket." So, he took one more, missed it, and Drew slammed it back through for another exclamation bucket. Dame is very humble and truly didn't care. Very interesting on a night where they had shown Melo's only 60-pt effort of his career on NBATV earlier.

Lillard is incredible so often that it comes as another day at the office when he plays like this. He was totally exhausted by the time the 3rd Quarter was over and he had 50 at that point. His best basket of the night, they didn't count,...a flying one-handed slam, where he was fouled and went to the line and sank free throws instead.

Simons tried to give the game away with 8 bad plays in a row over the stretch of 3 minutes of the 4th, but UTA couldn't take advantage of Simons' mistakes.

Hart, the Blazers' #1 Trade Chip, hurt his hamstring and didn't play the 2nd Half. Little started in his place, and this opens up a great opportunity for the team to get bigger at the Wings if Little is given the Start over Sharpe when we face Toronto. Sharpe is from Toronto, so Chauncey may choose to go that route, but with Anunoby as the Wing he'll have to go against, Little would be the much better choice, and deserves to get that opportunity as Naz has been playing very well since his return a few games ago.

I was at Petrie's 51 vs HOU back in 1973, 50 years ago. But, I saw Petrie hotter than that hitting 19 in a 1st Quarter (he ended up with 44 in that one, I believe, and that was also in '73, maybe early '74). That 51 was 19 buckets, if I remember, but I don't remember the attempts. Dame was 21-29 tonight, 9-15 from Deep with several 28-34 feet that went in. He took a 40-footer heat check after sinking a couple from 32+, but it didn't go in.

Heck of a game. Went with the Step-Daughter, Father-in-Law and a friend of his. They also went Monday to the franchise-record 119 points after 3 quarters against San Antonio. I stayed home for that one and didn't use the ticket, but I wanted to see what they could do against a team that will at least try to play some type of Defense. UTA's not playing great Defense right now, but it's much better than San Antonio, a team that doesn't play any at all...even less than Portland.

One game at a time. Try to play 4 Quarters well against TOR on Saturday. TOR did a number against the Kings in Sacramento tonight dominating points in the paint 58-42, so TOR seems to have gotten themselves straightened out. With all of that talent of TOR around the paint, Little's size over Hart's is going to be a huge asset to give POR a chance to hold off the Raptors Saturday Night. Big games will be needed from Grant, Nurk and Eubanks, along with Little. The team really needs Winslow to get back and join the front court for games like this.
    Glad you got to see this. It must have been fun to have been in the building for it. One to remember for you.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-26-2023)

The Bucks just dropped 85 on the Pacers in the 1st half of their game.

9. Likes:

Chip R (01-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Bucks just dropped 85 on the Pacers in the 1st half of their game.
    Khris Middleton will be far and away the most important addition of the trading deadline (if he can stay healthy).

11. Likes:

adkindo (01-28-2023),M2 (01-28-2023),Revering4Blue (01-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Khris Middleton will be far and away the most important addition of the trading deadline (if he can stay healthy).
    Bold take.

Booker might object to that, but your take is defensible, for sure.

What other stars might tilt the balance of power?

I've completely had it with NBA officiating. Nicola Jokic has fouled Joel Embiid at least four times in the first quarter, and the officals won't make the calls.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I've completely had it with NBA officiating. Nicola Jokic has fouled Joel Embiid at least four times in the first quarter, and the officals won't make the calls.
    Always amazes me that bigs just don’t seem to get foul calls…Shaq would get hammered underneath and never get the whistle.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Always amazes me that bigs just don’t seem to get foul calls…Shaq would get hammered underneath and never get the whistle.
    Not going to matter if Denver keeps hitting two thirds of their shots, but that game changes big time had Jokic rightly had to sit for much of the first half. I dunno' if it's just the Jokic narrative (sort of like the undeserved credit he gets for "hand-off" assists when screening) in play or just the "doofus" factor, where big immobile guys don't seem to rack up fouls on more athletic players, but it's maddening.

Speaking of maddening...P.J. Tucker and Montrezl Harrell on the floor at the same time. What the holy hell is that???
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    always thought that was a "business decision" by the NBA....because they literally would have had to call fouls on 90% of the possessions during the early and prime part of his career. It would have damaged the aesthetic game they were marketing that focused on the athletic guards/wings like Penny, Kobe, TMac, Wade, etc....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Well, I have to hand it to P.J. Tucker. Hit an important tip shot for his one bucket and, inexplicably, shut down Jokic in the fourth quarter.

Joel Embiid- 47 points, 18 boards, 5 assists. Credited his team with the win in the post-game interview. Everyone just saw that best Center in the NBA, and he wasn't playing for the Denver Nuggets.

--Ted Williams

18. Likes:

goreds2 (01-28-2023)

I adjust for NBA officiating by paying zero attention to NBA officiating. They call what they call. Sometimes I disagree, but then I forget it instantly. Soccer taught me that. There's any number of things that could or could not be called. I'm whatever when it comes to refs. Much easier said than done, though, when it's your favorite team.

Anyway, looks like Embiid persevered given his 47-18 line. Big win for the Sixers.
    Last edited by M2; 01-28-2023 at 07:59 PM.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-28-2023),SteelSD (01-28-2023)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    always thought that was a "business decision" by the NBA....because they literally would have had to call fouls on 90% of the possessions during the early and prime part of his career. It would have damaged the aesthetic game they were marketing that focused on the athletic guards/wings like Penny, Kobe, TMac, Wade, etc....
    Interesting take. And I agree with it. Anyway, it didn’t seem to work as scoring per team fell below 100 points beginning with the ‘95-‘96 season until the ‘15 season, save for, oddly enough, the final two years of the aughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I adjust for NBA officiating by paying zero attention to NBA officiating. They call what they call. Sometimes I disagree, but then I forget it instantly. Soccer taught me that. There's any number of things that could or could not be called. I'm whatever when it comes to refs. Much easier than done, though, when it's your favorite team.
    Y'know, when it comes to perimeter players, I really don't pay that much attention. Maxey gets mugged on half his drives to the hoop with no calls, for example. All I ask is that it be called evenly, which is pretty much all the players and coaches want. But when it comes to post players, flagrant "reputation" non-calls and slanted officiating both ruin that aspect of the game for me, while also funneling the game out to more play from distance (yawn), which frankly, I think the NBA has already over-rewarded.

And being that it was Jokic, I probably had/have a bit of a chip on my own shoulder as a fan, given that the ABC announcers were gushing over Jokic the entire first half without acknowledging that Embiid had legitimately nearly fouled him out in the first quarter. I was thoroughly amazed when Hubie Brown actually stated- after Embiid went over 40 points and 15-odd boards- that he had clearly outplayed Jokic. Nearly spit out my soda that a member of that broadcast crew (including the Jokic halftime love-fest) would acknowlege something that was crystal clear much, much earlier in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Jokic, but some of his results are dramatically augmented by the system (plethora of screen-and-turn hand-offs, constant back-cuts). And as we saw today, his defense stinks.

That's sub-Mason Plumlee garbage.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?