Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

1-game suspension for Dillon was not enough, but it does send a message. He just lost 1/82nd of his salary and that's a lot.

Mitchell was fined. I don't know if teams are allowed to pay fines for players, but if so, they should. If I was Mitchell's teammates, I'd pay it for him.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-04-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

For a team to win a Kyrie Irving trade, they have to be a team that doesn't trade for him.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

5. Likes:

Chip R (02-06-2023),M2 (02-03-2023),Rojo Rijo (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    For a team to win a Kyrie Irving trade, they have to be a team that doesn't trade for him.
    This is a very important metric.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Chip R (02-06-2023)

Haliburton returns and all he does is have a game-high +18 +/- in a 3-pt win.

Mathurin started tonight with all five starters playing about 33-37 minutes. Was this Mathurin's first start of the season?

It looks like Carlisle is going to ride this starting five for the rest of the season and let them gel together so they have something concrete to look at going into the Summer. They should also make the playoffs. They still have a move to make. They have said they want to take advantage of the $10+M they are still under the cap for this season. Obviously a rotational player that fits into their long-term plans.

(didn't notice Haliburton played last night...makes this win even more impressive as the 2nd on a back-to-back)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-03-2023 at 10:34 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Great win for Orlando tonight.

With the trade deadline next week it got me thinking what this team needs to take the next step. Are we better off landing two (hopefully top 10) lottery picks or do we need to move pieces and go get a veteran star? It doesn’t have to be at the deadline, it could be this summer but I just can’t help but think unless we land one of the top 2 picks we need to put together a package for a player like Beal or Derozan.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-04-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post

With the trade deadline next week it got me thinking what this team needs to take the next step. Are we better off landing two (hopefully top 10) lottery picks or do we need to move pieces and go get a veteran star? It doesn’t have to be at the deadline, it could be this summer but I just can’t help but think unless we land one of the top 2 picks we need to put together a package for a player like Beal or Derozan.
    They are on a role. Beal looked great tonight, but everyone does when Simons and Dame have to guard them. I shouldn't be so hard on Dame. He's probably not bottom-10 Defensively in the NBA anymore per DARKO stats. I would think, based on what I've seen, that he may even be out of the bottom-20. But, as far as Simons goes, the only one who could possibly be worse is Trae Young (who seems to have gotten Nate fired at the end of the season for his refusal to be accountable for his horrible Defense). Simons had a terrible first half tonight, Defensively, but was much better in the 2nd Half.

Things are starting to get chippy as the they always do as the days count down before the All-Star break. Players definitely need a break. The NBA season is a long grind. They need to reduce the number of regular season games, while having an earlier All-Star break, in addition to a break between the end of the season to the start of the playoffs. They have a small one now with the play-in tournament, but it's not enough time. It benefits everyone if rosters were a little healthier before the playoffs begin and players a little rested. The game is such one of attrition (like the NFL) now.

In case you missed it...

February 3rd, 2023 at 9:31pm CST by Rory Maher

Orlando’s Mohamed Bamba and Jalen Suggs, as well as Minnesota’s Austin Rivers, Taurean Prince and Jaden McDaniels, were ejected from Friday’s Magic–Timberwolves game after a scuffle broke out, reports Khobi Price of The Orlando Sentinel (subscriber link), It appears as though Bamba may have initiated the incident by saying something to Rivers after he missed a three-pointer, as Markelle Fultz looked absolutely shocked by whatever was said (Twitter video link via Rob Perez). Clearly Rivers didn’t appreciate the comment, as he returned to Orlando’s bench (Bamba wasn’t in the game at the time), and then a fight broke out between Bamba and Rivers, with punches thrown, though none appeared to connect (Twitter video link via Bally Sports North). Suggs then ran into the fray and tackled Rivers, with chaos ensuing. Prince and McDaniels were both shoving and trying to get involved, so apparently they were ejected for escalating the altercation.

According to Pierre Noujaim of Fox 9 Minneapolis (Twitter link), Bamba and Rivers tried to continue the fight in the arena hallway after being ejected, and had to be restrained, presumably by security. All five players are likely to face suspensions and/or fines, with Bamba and Rivers almost certain to receive the most significant penalties. Bamba is typically a backup center, but he started the game for the Magic, with Suggs a reserve guard. Losing them to suspensions would affect the team’s rotation, but not as substantially as it would the Wolves, as McDaniels is a starter and Prince and Rivers are two of Minnesota’s primary reserves.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/02/...r-scuffle.html

13. Likes:

Mutaman (02-04-2023)

To take the next step, you need five new starters. Your bench won the game. Your starters were awful. First time I got to see Banchero play. He was awful. Slow and shot 3-16. 3-16 is what middle school star players shoot. It must have been a bad game for him cause his stats are not that bad.

NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    To take the next step, you need five new starters. Your bench won the game. Your starters were awful. First time I got to see Banchero play. He was awful. Slow and shot 3-16. 3-16 is what middle school star players shoot. It must have been a bad game for him cause his stats are not that bad.
    LOL you just caught us on a night where Paolo couldn’t hit a shot, Franz was off, and Carter didn’t play. Both Harris and Bamba are on the block. Isaac will be back in the starting lineup next season and Suggs is showing signs of life.

If it weren’t for the strength of our bench we don’t win. A 5 of Cole, Suggs, Isaac, Bol, and MWag is serious depth.

Some notable results from the early games tonight. Brandon Ingram stopped the Pels' 10-game slide, scoring 35 (while hitting 0 3's) in a win over the Lakers.

Meanwhile, Brooklyn did not play Kyrie and got 44 from Cam Thomas (29 from Edmond Sumner) in a win over the Wiz.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

This fellow Middleton was a nice pickup. Turns the ball over too much but the rest of his game isn't bad. Also has quickly developed nice chemistry with Giannis.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 02-04-2023 at 10:34 PM.

LOL you just caught us on a night where Paolo couldn’t hit a shot, Franz was off, and Carter didn’t play. Both Harris and Bamba are on the block. Isaac will be back in the starting lineup next season and Suggs is showing signs of life.

If it weren’t for the strength of our bench we don’t win. A 5 of Cole, Suggs, Isaac, Bol, and MWag is serious depth.
    Franz needs to shoot more. He seems to defer a lot and, just an observation, it seems to happen more often when he's paired with his brother on the floor. Again, limited minutes watching the Magic, but I like F-Wag's game when he's aggressive.

If I were the Magic, and wanted to attempt to cash in on some chips right now, I'd try to put together an offer for Siakam. Not exactly sure what the would look like from a picks standpoint, but I'd float Suggs before his draft slot luster wears off. The kid hasn't shown many signs that he can shoot, but seems very talented defensively. Toronto's method seems to be "defense first, then teach shooting", so Suggs might have more value to them than just about any other team.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

So I'm hearing names like Jarred Vanderbilt and Naz Reid tossed about as being players of interest for the Sixers. Nothing solid- just your usual pre-deadline stirring. I like both. High-energy guys and lord knows Philly could use more of that. But the Sixers don't have much of value outside of Thybulle that they really should be willing to deal. Then I though of what might be an interesting move...

Philly Receives:

Dario Saric (PHO)
    Jae Crowder (PHO)

Phoenix Receives:

PJ Tucker (PHI)
    Furkan Korkmaz (PHI)
    Jaden Springer (PHI) OR Paul Reed (PHI)

The money works out. Crowder isn't playing because Phoenix won't extend him. But Philly has already slotted Tucker's contract at almost the same money for the next two seasons. Ink Crowder to an extension for the same money and get him on the court. Saric, whose contract runs out at the end of the season, isn't a center and doesn't rim protect, true. But he is 6'10", can bang inside, has an infectious kid of hustle, and can floor space. Philly needs to acknowledge that Tucker isn't a real answer for much of anything, his good work on Jokic aside. Rivers won't play Korkmaz, nor will they give Springer (he's young, yes) any minutes to develop.

If Phoenix wants Reed instead of Springer, I guess I'd be fine with that because Rivers doesn't really want to play him, despite the fact that his per-100 possion stats slot him in fifth place in the NBA in offensive rebounds (7.0/100 poss), and 11th best in total rebounds (17.0/100 poss). Per 100 possessions, he also ranks out as the 10th best shot blocker in the game. All that earns him 9.4 minutes per game, all because he's young and his game looks weird.

Speaking of strange, the reason I started thinking about bringing back Saric is that Philly just traded for the G-League rights to Jajlil Okafor. Yeah, that guy again.

https://twitter.com/blue_coats/statu...zUgBNLfEUvrkKQ
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Philly Receives:

Dario Saric (PHO)
    Jae Crowder (PHO)

Phoenix Receives:

PJ Tucker (PHI)
    Furkan Korkmaz (PHI)
    Jaden Springer (PHI) OR Paul Reed (PHI)
    That's a poor deal for Phoenix. Tucker's totally washed and has two more years on his contract beyond this one. Korkmaz is a redundant piece for the Suns-- they've already got two of him in Shamet and Damion Lee.

If Philly wants to unload Tucker, I'm guessing they're going to have to attach real talent to him-- perhaps their 2025 first rounder. Or, alternatively, how about this one?

Philly Receives:
    Harrison Barnes

Sacramento Receives:
    Matisse Thybulle
    PJ Tucker
    Jaden Springer

Barnes and Harris are undersized, but both have shown some talent at shooting and playing up as small ball PF. They can tag-team that spot and, I suspect, do it well. (Barnes as a corner shooter? Yes, please.)

The Kings receive the guy they want-- Thybulle-- but have to pay with Tucker. That said, Tucker's experience and veteran presence might pay dividends for such a young squad. Springer's... okay. It feels a little light for Sacramento, but Barnes would be a fantastic get.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 02-05-2023 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That's a poor deal for Phoenix. Tucker's totally washed and has two more years on his contract beyond this one. Korkmaz is a redundant piece for the Suns-- they've already got two of him in Shamet and Damion Lee.

If Philly wants to unload Tucker, I'm guessing they're going to have to attach real talent to him-- perhaps their 2025 first rounder.
    The Sixers don't have a 2025 draft pick unless they, for some reason, trade everyone for nothing and tank for the next couple of seasons. It's a top-6 protected pick owned by OKC if it falls later than that. Tucker's contract isn't large enough that the Sixers would have to attach a first rounder to move it. For most teams, it's actually an attractive salary- easy to use to match money in a larger deal.

The Suns are in a rough position with Crowder and Crowder himself is in a tough spot. I highly doubt that Phoenix is going to get back a starting caliber player for Crowder at the tail end of his career, much less add a first rounder for him. And to get Crowder to play, an acquiring team is going to have to give him an extension, so he'll be an incoming cap hit to anyone trading for him. That limits the field, and it's possible that teams might just sit back and wait to see if Crowder hits the buyout market.

Tucker hasn't shown much of anything, but his playoff rep being potentially appealing to a team who signed Crowder (who is also giving the Suns nothing right now) for pretty much the same reason. Korkmaz is salary filler, albeit with some upside. I don't care what Phoenix does with him. Saric is on an expiring deal and bounces in and out of the rotation. Springer (young, solid defensively, learning offense) or Reed, who is good at three pretty important things (not for Rivers, but for most teams), provide some youth and athleticism to a team needing both.

There are other permutations that can likely work, but I think you may be overestimating what those Phoenix players are worth right now.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?