Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So who would you deal? Dame's better, but Simons is younger and maybe he fits in long-term with Sharpe.
    You have to get rid of one or the other. Dame is like Votto. Dame decides if he wants to stay or go. The subject will not be brought up. Billups almost went last year because of his rape allegations from the past. He survived the witch-burners and he looks like he's here to stay for the rest of Dame's time here (this year plus three more). Hart could start at the 2, Grant move over to the 3, trade Ant for a 4, and that's a squad that even Chauncey could look like he knows what he's doing. If Payton decides he wants to play, Payton could start at the 2 and Hart come off the bench. That would probably be even better. Chauncey doesn't have to coach a Starting four of Dame/Nurk/Payton/Grant and whoever they could get for Ant and whatever they have to package to get a starting Wing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Phoenix's win last night at Golden State deserves some mention.

First off, Mikal Bridges was the only regular starter available for the Suns. He was out there with Dario Saric, Torrey Craig, Bismack Biyombo and Duane Washington Jr. Bridges threw down a 26-9-5. Damion Lee also came off the bench to score 22 and make the Warriors regret that they ever let him go. I'm just going to drop an "Are they better without Ayton?" into the mix.

On the Golden State side, they just got Steph and Wiggins back and it seems like it's going to take a little bit for them to get their game legs. Yet they should have won against the Suns' B team. This is their 3rd straight home loss, and it's been against Detroit, Orlando and a way underpowered Suns lineup. That's three should-have-been wins squandered. Title contenders generally don't do that.
    Last edited by M2; 01-11-2023 at 11:41 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Chip R (01-12-2023)

First off, Mikal Bridges was the only regular starter available for the Suns. He was out there with Dario Saric, Torrey Craig, Bismack Biyombo and Duane Washington Jr. Bridges threw down a 26-9-5. Damion Lee also came off the bench to score 22 and make the Warriors regret that they ever let him go. I'm just going to drop an "Are they better without Ayton?" into the mix.

On the Golden State side, they just got Steph and Wiggins back and it seems like it's going to take a little bit for them to get their game legs. Yet they should have won against the Suns' B team. This is their 3rd straight home loss, and it's been against Detroit, Orlando and a way underpowered Suns lineup. That's three should-have-been wins squandered. Title contenders generally don't do that.
    PHO asked themselves that question all off-season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    PHO asked themselves that question all off-season.
    Bill Simmons made an interesting point about Ayton in a recent podcast. He said Ayton reminded him of some '80s centers, like Joe Barry Carroll, who posted numbers but if you watched the game they pretty clearly were better at collecting stats than wins. Hassan Whiteside would a more modern example of that archetype.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-11-2023),SteelSD (01-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You have to get rid of one or the other. Dame is like Votto. Dame decides if he wants to stay or go. The subject will not be brought up. Billups almost went last year because of his rape allegations from the past. He survived the witch-burners and he looks like he's here to stay for the rest of Dame's time here (this year plus three more). Hart could start at the 2, Grant move over to the 3, trade Ant for a 4, and that's a squad that even Chauncey could look like he knows what he's doing. If Payton decides he wants to play, Payton could start at the 2 and Hart come off the bench. That would probably be even better. Chauncey doesn't have to coach a Starting four of Dame/Nurk/Payton/Grant and whoever they could get for Ant and whatever they have to package to get a starting Wing.
    I'd have Sharpe starting on the wing (either as a 3 or a 2). He's got the potential to be special, so I'd have him in the starting 5 next year. Got to cultivate that talent. Could be wrong, but I don't think they can move Simons or Dame until the summer (because of contract extension signings last summer). So that would give Sharpe a full summer of training before he gets thrust into a starting role.

Heat and Cavs are both sniffing around Hardaway Jr...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Heat and Cavs are both sniffing around Hardaway Jr...
    Would you do...

Hardaway to the Heat for Duncan Robinson and Nikola Jovic?

Hardaway and Bertans to the Cavs for Kevin Love and Isaac Okoro? Frees $26M in cap space for next season ($35M if Okoro doesn't stick).

I saw large parts of this game. It was a truly pathetic effort from GS. I wouldn’t read a lot into it though. It just looked like GS could not care less about the game. One play stood out for me: Saric drove past Steph on the baseline and drew two more GS defenders before dishing to a wide open Biyimbo for a dunk. Saric absolutely destroyed Steph’s defense, and Steph didn’t care. Saric didn’t trash talk Steph or do anything demonstrative, but if the tables were turned you know Steph would have danced, mocked and bragged all the way to the GS bench. And Steph is only representative of the majority of the league.
    This is something I don’t get about NBA trashtalking. So many players get energized by disrespecting other players, but that energy doesn’t apply to playing consistent defense so what is the point?

Would you do...

Hardaway to the Heat for Duncan Robinson and Nikola Jovic?

Hardaway and Bertans to the Cavs for Kevin Love and Isaac Okoro? Frees $26M in cap space for next season ($35M if Okoro doesn't stick).
    Just don’t know what that trade does for the Cavs. Don’t see either guy as a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Just don’t know what that trade does for the Cavs. Don’t see either guy as a fit.
    Supposedly they're interested in Hardaway (per KoryMac5). For the record, he'd way down my list of wings to acquire. I guess Cleveland could move LeVert for him or Okoro + Osman and scraps. I was sort of approaching it from the Dallas perspective. Like, what could the Mavs get from those teams? For Cleveland I came up with potential cap space because they don't seem like a great trade fit.

Supposedly they're interested in Hardaway (per KoryMac5). For the record, he'd way down my list of wings to acquire. I guess Cleveland could move LeVert for him or Okoro + Osman and scraps. I was sort of approaching it from the Dallas perspective. Like, what could the Mavs get from those teams? For Cleveland I came up with potential cap space because they don't seem like a great trade fit.
    Apparently the tire kicking has been around a Lavert swap. But again…what does that do for the Cavs?

15. Likes:

M2 (01-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Apparently the tire kicking has been around a Lavert swap. But again…what does that do for the Cavs?
    I doubt Cleveland would do it just because you end up saddled with THJ for 2 years at 34 million for a floor spacer...if both contracts were expiring than maybe...Lavert doesn't shoot as well but his handles are better so Dallas could combine him with Dinwiddie...Stein was the one who first reported on it.

Fedor also reported it was down to Bogdanovic and THJ...
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 01-11-2023 at 07:24 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I doubt Cleveland would do it just because you end up saddled with THJ for 2 years at 34 million for a floor spacer...if both contracts were expiring than maybe...Lavert doesn't shoot as well but his handles are better so Dallas could combine him with Dinwiddie...Stein was the one who first reported on it.

Fedor also reported it was down to Bogdanovic and THJ...
    Bogdanovic is perfect, but I think he will be tough to get.
    Oubre is an upgrade too.
    OG is ideal, but Cavs don’t have the picks to get him.
    I just don’t see the point in Hardaway.

I don’t think they want to do Love dirty, but they have to at least consider it for a big money wing.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-11-2023)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Bill Simmons made an interesting point about Ayton in a recent podcast. He said Ayton reminded him of some '80s centers, like Joe Barry Carroll, who posted numbers but if you watched the game they pretty clearly were better at collecting stats than wins. Hassan Whiteside would a more modern example of that archetype.
    In his defense, J.B Carroll played for bad to mediocre teams during his career where he had to post high numbers in order for his teams to be somewhat competitive.

A more apt comparison to Ayton and the Suns' situation, IMO, would have been Carroll's Warriors with Carroll. Bernard King (had they resigned him as the should have), Larry Smith with Purvis Short and Sleepy Floyd in the backcourt. That could have actually comprised a contending core.

Having said that, both Carroll and Ayton, as former first overall picks, both have/had the vibe of not close to being bad picks/busts at all, but haven't/didn't exactly exhibit(ed) the all around games/skillsets that their size and wingspans suggest they should have. Ayton doesn't protect the rim as his wingspan suggests he should, while Carroll, even though he was playing next to Larry Smith for most of his career - who rebounded like the ball had money taped to it - often failed to establish himself on the boards. Carroll would in the space of a week score 30 points, grab 10 rebounds and block 4 shots against Kareem and the Lakers. Then, he would get thoroughly outplayed in Cleveland against Mel Turpin.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    In his defense, J.B Carroll played for bad to mediocre teams during his career where he had to post high numbers in order for his teams to be somewhat competitive.

A more apt comparison to Ayton and the Suns' situation, IMO, would have been Carroll's Warriors with Carroll. Bernard King (had they resigned him as the should have), Larry Smith with Purvis Short and Sleepy Floyd in the backcourt. That could have actually comprised a contending core.

Having said that, both Carroll and Ayton, as former first overall picks, both have/had the vibe of not close to being bad picks/busts at all, but haven't/didn't exactly exhibit(ed) the all around games/skillsets that their size and wingspans suggest they should have. Ayton doesn't protect the rim as his wingspan suggests he should, while Carroll, even though he was playing next to Larry Smith for most of his career - who rebounded like the ball had money taped to it - often failed to establish himself on the boards. Carroll would in the space of a week score 30 points, grab 10 rebounds and block 4 shots against Kareem and the Lakers. Then, he would get thoroughly outplayed in Cleveland against Mel Turpin.
    JBC was iconic for the Boston sports press back in the day. The Celtics getting McHale two picks after him was a big part of it, but the argument against him was no matter how many good players you assembled around him you still wouldn't have a good team. Probably wasn't an accident that pretty much the first thing Don Nelson did when he took over Golden State was trade JBC.

22. Likes:

Chip R (01-12-2023)

Turn Off Ads?