Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd have Sharpe starting on the wing (either as a 3 or a 2). He's got the potential to be special, so I'd have him in the starting 5 next year. Got to cultivate that talent. Could be wrong, but I don't think they can move Simons or Dame until the summer (because of contract extension signings last summer). So that would give Sharpe a full summer of training before he gets thrust into a starting role.
    They've been forcing Sharpe's minutes since Day 1, basically gauranteeing him 15 minutes per night. That should have him end up at about 1500 minutes on the year as he exceeds that 15 number often (because of blowouts one way or another and some occasional good play where he earns more time). Next season, he's certain to at least match that, even if they make a trade for a SF/PF that gets 35 minutes per night. I'm just hoping they don't include Sharpe in any trade.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They've been forcing Sharpe's minutes since Day 1, basically gauranteeing him 15 minutes per night. That should have him end up at about 1500 minutes on the year as he exceeds that 15 number often (because of blowouts one way or another and some occasional good play where he earns more time). Next season, he's certain to at least match that, even if they make a trade for a SF/PF that gets 35 minutes per night. I'm just hoping they don't include Sharpe in any trade.
    I assume Sharpe is untouchable. I would think 30+ minutes a night next season would be in order.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    In his defense, J.B Carroll played for bad to mediocre teams during his career where he had to post high numbers in order for his teams to be somewhat competitive.

A more apt comparison to Ayton and the Suns' situation, IMO, would have been Carroll's Warriors with Carroll. Bernard King (had they resigned him as the should have), Larry Smith with Purvis Short and Sleepy Floyd in the backcourt. That could have actually comprised a contending core.

Having said that, both Carroll and Ayton, as former first overall picks, both have/had the vibe of not close to being bad picks/busts at all, but haven't/didn't exactly exhibit(ed) the all around games/skillsets that their size and wingspans suggest they should have. Ayton doesn't protect the rim as his wingspan suggests he should, while Carroll, even though he was playing next to Larry Smith for most of his career - who rebounded like the ball had money taped to it - often failed to establish himself on the boards. Carroll would in the space of a week score 30 points, grab 10 rebounds and block 4 shots against Kareem and the Lakers. Then, he would get thoroughly outplayed in Cleveland against Mel Turpin.
    Those were some run and gun Warriors in the 80's never could get a team together that actually was good

5. Likes:

Chip R (01-12-2023),Revering4Blue (02-17-2023)

Got a hot take on the Wolves - they aren't better because Ant's not taking games over. KAT's out and they need Ant to be more of a transcendent talent. Ja's doing it in Memphis. Luka's doing it in Dallas. Zion's kind of doing it in New Orleans. It's a high bar, but if you're asking for a max contract it's a fair bar.

Got a hot take on the Wolves - they aren't better because Ant's not taking games over. KAT's out and they need Ant to be more of a transcendent talent. Ja's doing it in Memphis. Luka's doing it in Dallas. Zion's kind of doing it in New Orleans. It's a high bar, but if you're asking for a max contract it's a fair bar.
    They're not any better because, IMO, they traded for and paid a near-max contract to a guy who doesn't deserve it. D'Angelo Russell has been a millstone around the neck of that franchise since they dealt for him. He has yet to put up an offensive rating better than his defensive rating is poor. This season, he's at 116. He's never progressed beyond his Laker days.

The Wolves desperately need a defense-first PG who can also knock down shots. He can then get out of the way of Ant, KAT, and a developing Jaden McDaniels. (And maybe Naz Reid.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They're not any better because, IMO, they traded for and paid a near-max contract to a guy who doesn't deserve it. D'Angelo Russell has been a millstone around the neck of that franchise since they dealt for him. He has yet to put up an offensive rating better than his defensive rating is poor. This season, he's at 116. He's never progressed beyond his Laker days.

The Wolves desperately need a defense-first PG who can also knock down shots. He can then get out of the way of Ant, KAT, and a developing Jaden McDaniels. (And maybe Naz Reid.)
    They've made other mistakes, but Dallas has made plenty of mistakes too and they're still humming along thanks to Luka. Ja plays in a starting 5 that features Dillon Brooks, who is not good. New Orleans is succeeding with Brandon Ingram out. Last year Nikola Jokic had to carry a MASH unit. I think this season we're getting a real-time look at how much Devin Booker means to the Suns (who rarely win without him).

One of the defining characteristics of star players is they win games even in bad circumstances. I think Ant has the potential to do that, but it's not happening so far this season. They're playing fine margin basketball and they need Ant to be the guy who swings the margins their way. The Gobert trade has been brutal in terms of him being the wrong fit. Russell's actually been all right. The issue with him is he gives the team a low ceiling, not that he's incapable (and that they pay him a large sum of money). There's enough on that team, even without KAT, for a transcendent player to lead them to the playoffs. What they need is for Ant to transcend.

They've made other mistakes, but Dallas has made plenty of mistakes too and they're still humming along thanks to Luka. Ja plays in a starting 5 that features Dillon Brooks, who is not good. New Orleans is succeeding with Brandon Ingram out. Last year Nikola Jokic had to carry a MASH unit. I think this season we're getting a real-time look at how much Devin Booker means to the Suns (who rarely win without him).

One of the defining characteristics of star players is they win games even in bad circumstances. I think Ant has the potential to do that, but it's not happening so far this season. They're playing fine margin basketball and they need Ant to be the guy who swings the margins their way. The Gobert trade has been brutal in terms of him being the wrong fit. Russell's actually been all right. The issue with him is he gives the team a low ceiling, not that he's incapable (and that they pay him a large sum of money). There's enough on that team, even without KAT, for a transcendent player to lead them to the playoffs. What they need is for Ant to transcend.
    Fair. Totally makes sense.

I think Ant is on a good trajectory. He’s still only 21 and was 1-B (if you want to call KAT 1-A) on a 46-win team in the West last year as a 20-yr old. Of the guys you mentioned, Ja was fairly comparable as a 21-yr old (Grizz were a 43 win equivalent his 21 yr old season).

Luka is another beast altogether. Super polished and playing high level basketball as a teenager. Ant was on a bad UGA squad for one year after high school. I think Ant will slowly take control in Minny, I expect they’ll move KAT and Russell eventually and turn the team over to him. Not concerned about him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    I think Ant is on a good trajectory. He’s still only 21 and was 1-B (if you want to call KAT 1-A) on a 46-win team in the West last year as a 20-yr old. Of the guys you mentioned, Ja was fairly comparable as a 21-yr old (Grizz were a 43 win equivalent his 21 yr old season).

Luka is another beast altogether. Super polished and playing high level basketball as a teenager. Ant was on a bad UGA squad for one year after high school. I think Ant will slowly take control in Minny, I expect they’ll move KAT and Russell eventually and turn the team over to him. Not concerned about him yet.
    Ant's obviously a good player and, hopefully for everyone who likes watching supremely talented players, he continues on his trajectory to great. Where I'm coming from is the opportunity to be THE guy is upon him. I don't think he deserves condemnation if he doesn't seize it or that the Wolves should move him in that circumstance. He's going to get a max extension. My question is when will he become a guy who can put a franchise on his back? Because that's the thing I want to see happen with the Wolves.

12. Likes:

Fil3232 (01-12-2023),Rojo Rijo (01-13-2023)

How does Thybulle get a -27 in 11 minutes?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

This is what I see with Dlo. There is talk of moving him for Lowry (heat are going to have a fire sale soon) or Terry Rozier or Cole Anthony and other parts. Dlo’s mindless defense and careless turn overs are just so glaring.

Ant is currently dinged up (hip) and probably needs a week off.

Naz Reid is going to make more money soon, and I’m happy for him because he has worked hard on his weight, and his footwork. But I still have questions about him as a 30 minute player. He can be very inconsistent, particularly on Defense. I like him a lot more as a a 15 minute a game second unit skilled big man.

Ant's obviously a good player and, hopefully for everyone who likes watching supremely talented players, he continues on his trajectory to great. Where I'm coming from is the opportunity to be THE guy is upon him. I don't think he deserves condemnation if he doesn't seize it or that the Wolves should move him in that circumstance. He's going to get a max extension. My question is when will he become a guy who can put a franchise on his back? Because that's the thing I want to see happen with the Wolves.
    That’s all very fair, and good questions. Personally, I think it’ll begin to happen as soon as next year. Look at Morant and Tatum—they both hit next levels in that age 22 season. I think Minnesota needs to make it Edwards’ team this offseason, unequivocally, and I believe we’ll start to see him performing as such shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How does Thybulle get a -27 in 11 minutes?
    Because he plays defense and the officials wouldn't let anyone on the Sixers do that last night. That caused wonky rotation adjustments and, after the Sixers took the lead in the third quarter, poor player mixes offensively, finishing the quarter in disastrous fashion. Any contact initiated by OKC was instantly called as a foul against Philly. Tyrese Maxey was called for a foul for, literally, nothing more than having his body between SGA and the lane. This happened constantly, regardless of the player. Embiid was able to play only 28 minutes, the Thunder put their Idiots Chucking Threes (TM) into action early, and when they cooled off, they could just drive to the rim with abandon, knowing that if they didn't hit a shot, they'd be given a free pass to the line.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-14-2023)

The offense of Memphis and Dallas runs through Ja and Luka though, Luka has the highest rate in the NBA and Ja is 4th. Edwards is around 20. Could be Edwards just doesn’t feel confident in his handles yet…he did have a nice run around the end of Dec and into January in regards to scoring.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Since Jalen Brunson returned on 1/2/2022 the Knicks have gone 5-1.

In their 1 loss to Milwaukee he took over late and scored 18 pts in the 4Q to keep the Knicks in it until the very end. He scored 15 of the Knicks last 16 points.

His stats over the last 6 games:

33.3 PPG / 6 APG / 5.6 RPG / FG 52% / 3P 50% / FT 80%

He's also a perfect 26/26 from the stripe over his last 3.

This is why I picked him as my choice for MIP.

20. Likes:

Mitri (01-13-2023),Puffy (01-14-2023)

Turn Off Ads?