Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

On C. J. McCollum's podcast (didn't know he had one) Sunday, he mentioned that among players' conversations that Toronto is the team most likely to trade a player before the deadline. He mentioned, while saying specifically that he can't mention a name because of tampering restrictions, that there are some players in Toronto who are complaining/whining, whatever, and that they are the one(s) most likely to be moved over any other player in the league before the trade deadline.

I do believe that with any of the players that McCollum could be referring to, that it will take three teams involved in the deal to get it done because of the difficulty of Toronto's situations with all of their contracts of the players likely to be moved.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    No. Randle is a starter for most teams. But if he wants to win a championship, it won’t be as a #1 or #2, jacking up 20-25 shots a game. KAT is a better shooter, but otherwise a similiar profile. Tell me what former UK player is known for good defense, effective shooing and low turnovers?
    But I do think there are A LOT of starters in the NBA that don’t play winning basketball and should give up 5-10 minutes a game to bench guys who could be A LOT more effective and help their teams win.
    The reason it doesn’t happen? NBA and NBA refs believe the NBA is a “superstar” league. “Superstars” get privileges (free travels, clumsiness gets rewarded with free throws) other players don’t. If the refereeing were better, the depth of talent in the league would be revealed.
    I'll agree Randle is probably never going to be a lead dog on a championship team. His ceiling looks like it's best player on a mid-level playoff team. However, there is no version of the current Knicks that would be better if Randle was ceding 10 minutes to their bench players. More Cam Reddish isn't helping anyone.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I do believe that with any of the players that McCollum could be referring to, that it will take three teams involved in the deal to get it done because of the difficulty of Toronto's situations with all of their contracts of the players likely to be moved.
    To get what deal done with who? Toronto can make a pile of different deals if Siakam, VanVleet, Anunoby and Trent Jr. are up for sale. A lot of teams will want those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'll agree Randle is probably never going to be a lead dog on a championship team. His ceiling looks like it's best player on a mid-level playoff team. However, there is no version of the current Knicks that would be better if Randle was ceding 10 minutes to their bench players. More Cam Reddish isn't helping anyone.
    Who would be a good complement to Brunson on the floor while Randle sits? Obviously, a 3-and-D, but with their current roster, I'd give all 10 minutes to Toppin.

- - - Updated - - -

To get what deal done with who? Toronto can make a pile of different deals if Siakam, VanVleet, Anunoby and Trent Jr. are up for sale. A lot of teams will want those guys.
    He couldn't get into specifics. He just mentioned that he believes, from what he's heard from players, is that Toronto is the most likely team to move at least one player and blow up their team, and he mentioned as specifically as he could that those players who have been griping for Toronto are the most likely ones to be moved.

Everybody in the world wants Anunoby, but TOR's asking price on him was astronomical to the point that nobody would be stupid enough to make such an offer. TOR has to get realistic when it comes to moving any of their players. While they have good players, they also have contracts that are too high for the ones to be moved, making those players difficult to obtain unless, Toronto gets realistic.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-17-2023 at 09:45 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Who would be a good complement to Brunson on the floor while Randle sits? Obviously, a 3-and-D, but with their current roster, I'd give all 10 minutes to Toppin.
    And you'd lose extra games if you did. Randle keeps the ball moving on that team. Obi is a stopper. The argument for Obi getting more minutes, IMO, is as a 5 in a smaller lineup alongside Randle, who could find Obi around the rim.

He couldn't get into specifics. He just mentioned that he believes, from what he's heard from players, is that Toronto is the most likely team to move at least one player and blow up their team, and he mentioned as specifically as he could that those players who have been griping for Toronto are the most likely ones to be moved.

Everybody in the world wants Anunoby, but TOR's asking price on him was astronomical to the point that nobody would be stupid enough to make such an offer. TOR has to get realistic when it comes to moving any of their players. While they have good players, they also have contracts that are too high for the ones to be moved, making those players difficult to obtain unless, Toronto gets realistic.
    Toronto's guys definitely would be at the top of everybody's wish lists. I actually don't think the contracts are that much of an issue. No one's got cap space, but that means everyone has ways to assemble matching contracts. The bigger question is who's got draft picks?

Really good point. Knicks don’t have many big man options. Jericho Sims - maybe? He is a totallly different player, he’s not going to give volume scoring. It seems to be like both Barrett and Randle are volume scoring guys, and that’s one too many to be a top team. Randle is way better than Barrett, incidentally. I would feel kind of bad for Brunson, who is a different level from those two, but his dad pimped him out, when he should have stayed with Dallas where he and Luka were turning that team into something promising.

Really good point. Knicks don’t have many big man options. Jericho Sims - maybe? He is a totallly different player, he’s not going to give volume scoring. It seems to be like both Barrett and Randle are volume scoring guys, and that’s one too many to be a top team. Randle is way better than Barrett, incidentally. I would feel kind of bad for Brunson, who is a different level from those two, but his dad pimped him out, when he should have stayed with Dallas where he and Luka were turning that team into something promising.
    Sims would be my second choice after Toppin as Sims could get a lot of dunks via Brunson, while offering rim protection for the Knicks. Doubt if he could play alongside Robinson, though.

Another good night for Kyle Anderson. Anderson is one of those players who can help you win a playoff series.

When is KAT due back? Can he get back before Gobert gets over re-aggravating his injury?
    Minnesota loves slomo. No news on KAT return, which means weeks away at least.

Just because we've been talking about the Knicks and the Raptors, seems like RJ Barrett (plus loose change) for Anunoby is a deal waiting to be made.

Just because we've been talking about the Knicks and the Raptors, seems like RJ Barrett (plus loose change) for Anunoby is a deal waiting to be made.
    That's an interesting deal...RJ might benefit from a change of scenery but not sure if going home would add more or less pressure for him. I do think the Knicks would love to get from out of his contract...they have been really good about moving guys with bad money deals lately which helped to net Brunson.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Toronto needs creative players and Barrett is (if you squint hard) kind of creative, but Anunoby is more valuable than that. I think Toronto should try to go for Jordan Poole or Cole Anthony. I think Cole Anthony will be highly sought after in this trade deadline. Fultz is playing (kind of) well and Orlando is stupidly trying to force minutes to Suggs rather than Cole.

Toronto needs creative players and Barrett is (if you squint hard) kind of creative, but Anunoby is more valuable than that. I think Toronto should try to go for Jordan Poole or Cole Anthony. I think Cole Anthony will be highly sought after in this trade deadline. Fultz is playing (kind of) well and Orlando is stupidly trying to force minutes to Suggs rather than Cole.
    For the record, I don't care for Barrett's game, but he has a lot of upside. Theoretically he can score, pass and defend. He's also a hometown kid who's locked up for the next four years. So Toronto could retrench around a young wing who should be popular in their market. If they got Obi with him, that strikes me as a solid haul for Toronto. Rainmaker trade for Siakam, good return for VanVleet, extra assets for Trent Jr. and maybe they're onto something by 2025.

Poole, Wiseman, Moody also would be a solid haul.

I don't like Cole Anthony's game (bad shooter, no length). Also, I think VanVleet is the Raptor who best fits the Magic (Paolo and Franz have got the forward slots manned). Suggs, Harris and a draft pick for VanVleet?
    Last edited by M2; 01-17-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Late game....

LeBron James delivered once again with 48 points (16-for-26 FGs), eight rebounds, nine assists, five 3-pointers and no turnovers in a 140-132 win over Houston on Monday.

Tell me what former UK player is known for good defense, effective shooing and low turnovers?
    What players in the league own all three of those attributes? If it takes all three of those attributes to be a superstar, how many superstars are there in the league? One? Two?

If you believe that's what it takes to be a true superstar, Luka doesn't make the grade. (Can't shoot well from outside, plays no defense, and has as many turnovers as anyone in the league.)
    LeBron isn't. (Shooting and TOs, if not defense.)
    Giannis isn't. (Shooting and TO.)
    Neither Embiid nor Harden are. (Shooting and TO for Embiid, TO and defense for Harden.)
    Jokic, arguably, isn't either, as he has too many TOs.

Think about what it is you're arguing, man.

As far as UK players who are superstars, there are at least two in the top dozen or so in the game (Booker and AD). Beyond that, quite a few All-Star level guys (KAT, Randle, Maxey, Fox, Adebayo, SGA) are UK alumni, as are a few in that are just below that All-Star level (Herro, Keldon Johnson, Jamal Murray). There are also a bunch of role players too (Jared Vanderbilt, Malik Monk, Wenyen Gabriel, Nick Richards), and a few others about as well. While it's true that none of them are dominant defensively, elite shooters, and keep care of the basketball, you can count on one hand the number of guys who can do that. Maybe.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 01-17-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Late game....

LeBron James delivered once again with 48 points (16-for-26 FGs), eight rebounds, nine assists, five 3-pointers and no turnovers in a 140-132 win over Houston on Monday.
    I think he might be good at basketball. I didn't see the game, but I got the impression the Rockets might have employed the strategy of turning the game into a track meet to see if they could wear out the Lakers. Unfortunately the guy who couldn't really keep up was Jalen Green.

Turn Off Ads?