Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768
Results 1,006 to 1,013 of 1013

Thread: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Re: NBA 2022-23 Part 2: Everyone Scores 50

Ok, I'm going to talk about four players I despise, and how NBA officiating is at the point of failing to control hostility on the basketball court.

By now, I'm sure everyone has seen the video of the Dillon Brooks/Draymond Green confrontation. For those who haven't, here you go:

Brooks has beef with Green due to comments Draymond made during a podcast, in response to Brooks characterization of the Grizzlies as a "Dynasty". Probably a mis-use of the word. Brooks is clearly not a Rhodes Scholar. It doesn't really matter. So Brooks now has beef with Green, and clearly demonstrates his hostility when the gets in Draymond's face at @12 seconds into the video. I hate Draymond Green. Yet, he does nothing while Brooks commits an intentional, hostile, non-basketball act. But instead of laying a tech on Brooks, who was clearly attempting to bait Green into responding in kind, the officials eat their whistles. That is not ok.

Fast-forward to tonight's Celtics/Hawks contest. I do not like Marcus Smart and have the same burning distain for Trae Young. No video yet, but there was a play late in the game where Young was driving the basket, was fouled by Smart. Off-balance, Young hoisted up a shot and Smart's nether region was clipped by the heel of Young's sneaker. Inadvertent. Period. Taking umbrage, Smart walks up on Young, grabs him. At this point, that's supposed to be a tech on Marcus Smart- intentional, hostile, non-basketball act. But it doesn't stop there. Young attempts to back away. He doesn't shove Smart; only tries to break out of Smart's grasp. In response, Marcus Smart throws Trae Young to the court. By my count, Smart has now earned an immediate ejection. Young has done nothing at this point, and does nothing after the scuffle is broken up.

The officials go to the replay monitor while Smart stays on-court. Okay, because he does get tossed. But if Scott Foster can kick a player off the court for muttering something under his breath, there's no really no reason for Marcus Smart to be lingering about. The striped shirts then spend ten minutes at the monitor turning a seemingly easy call into a Flagrant 2 ejection for Smart- something everyone in the world knew needed to happen- and then called a technical on Trae Young for having the audacity to do nothing but be Smart's most recent victim.

I get that scuffles are going to happen. It's a contact sport. Chirping, mean mugging, etc. Get in their heads. Ok. It's not a no-fun league. I'm fine with that. But the officiating is creating an environment where instigators not only have a chance to get off scot-free, but they also have a shot at having their targets penalized, even if the latter does nothing. That's clearly an unfair advantage from where I sit, and it's going to inevitably lead to someone getting seriously hurt.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ok, I'm going to talk about four players I despise, and how NBA officiating is at the point of failing to control hostility on the basketball court.

By now, I'm sure everyone has seen the video of the Dillon Brooks/Draymond Green confrontation. For those who haven't, here you go:

Brooks has beef with Green due to comments Draymond made during a podcast, in response to Brooks characterization of the Grizzlies as a "Dynasty". Probably a mis-use of the word. Brooks is clearly not a Rhodes Scholar. It doesn't really matter. So Brooks now has beef with Green, and clearly demonstrates his hostility when the gets in Draymond's face at @12 seconds into the video. I hate Draymond Green. Yet, he does nothing while Brooks commits an intentional, hostile, non-basketball act. But instead of laying a tech on Brooks, who was clearly attempting to bait Green into responding in kind, the officials eat their whistles. That is not ok.

Fast-forward to tonight's Celtics/Hawks contest. I do not like Marcus Smart and have the same burning distain for Trae Young. No video yet, but there was a play late in the game where Young was driving the basket, was fouled by Smart. Off-balance, Young hoisted up a shot and Smart's nether region was clipped by the heel of Young's sneaker. Inadvertent. Period. Taking umbrage, Smart walks up on Young, grabs him. At this point, that's supposed to be a tech on Marcus Smart- intentional, hostile, non-basketball act. But it doesn't stop there. Young attempts to back away. He doesn't shove Smart; only tries to break out of Smart's grasp. In response, Marcus Smart throws Trae Young to the court. By my count, Smart has now earned an immediate ejection. Young has done nothing at this point, and does nothing after the scuffle is broken up.

The officials go to the replay monitor while Smart stays on-court. Okay, because he does get tossed. But if Scott Foster can kick a player off the court for muttering something under his breath, there's no really no reason for Marcus Smart to be lingering about. The striped shirts then spend ten minutes at the monitor turning a seemingly easy call into a Flagrant 2 ejection for Smart- something everyone in the world knew needed to happen- and then called a technical on Trae Young for having the audacity to do nothing but be Smart's most recent victim.

I get that scuffles are going to happen. It's a contact sport. Chirping, mean mugging, etc. Get in their heads. Ok. It's not a no-fun league. I'm fine with that. But the officiating is creating an environment where instigators not only have a chance to get off scot-free, but they also have a shot at having their targets penalized, even if the latter does nothing. That's clearly an unfair advantage from where I sit, and it's going to inevitably lead to someone getting seriously hurt.
    Green does 10 things every game that deserves technicals, so not calling Brooks for one involving Green, who took the rare high-road in this incident, is not a knock on the officials. Brooks' next technical gets an automatic one-game suspension, so the refs being aware of that, were trying to avoid giving him one if they could.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Green does 10 things every game that deserves technicals, so not calling Brooks for one involving Green, who took the rare high-road in this incident, is not a knock on the officials. Brooks' next technical gets an automatic one-game suspension, so the refs being aware of that, were trying to avoid giving him one if they could.
    Yeah, but here's the thing. And I'm not sure the officials know (or care if they do know) that Brooks is one tech away from a suspension at that time, but even if they do, Brooks knows that too. And if he does, he's clearly ok with serving that suspension or he wouldn't be acting in a way that's likely to draw another tech. When that's the case, protecting Brooks from a suspension turns the environment more dangerous. But there is cause to protect others from guys like Brooks and Smart. Both are becoming more belligerent and violent as their careers progress, mainly because they're often rewarded for their behavior and certainly haven't received the kind of penalties that should make them reluctant to target opposing players.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-12-2023)

If the claim is that the NBA needs to cut down on the behavior of a few bad apples, I'm not sure I can agree. The effects of that would be felt in Philadelphia, for example, as much as it might be in Golden State or Boston. Embiid is known to play (very) physically, jaw with opponents, and try to get in their heads. Harden does it less often, but has in the past instigated stuff too. I don't want either of those guys out of a game I'm watching-- especially as the playoffs come around. I want them in the game, playing. Ditto Giannis, KAT, Luka, Trae Young, Ant, De'Aaron Fox-- even PatBev, whose whole shtick is to be an irritant-- should be on the floor. That means we have to have some leeway and airtight evidence before kicking guys out of the game.

And the use of video evidence is a great addition. Sure, it's a PITA to wait for 10 minutes while they go to the monitor, but it should ensure, more often than not, culpability. We disagree about Young's tech, btw. At the 17-second mark in the video, after the referee has pushed him away (and the takedown), Young comes right back to Smart, pointing his finger and jawing. Can't do that. It's a tech every time. He deserved it. (I'd have gotten the same tech, fwiw. You too, I suspect.)

Where officials have become circumspect, IMO, is those rabbit ears. Foster is among the worst, for sure. IMO, players should have to say something directly to the ref to get a technical. Like, eye-to-eye "F*#& you!" type of response to a bad call. (Including the you makes it personal. If that's not used, it should almost assuredly be ignored) No harm, no foul.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah, but here's the thing. And I'm not sure the officials know (or care if they do know) that Brooks is one tech away from a suspension at that time, but even if they do, Brooks knows that too. And if he does, he's clearly ok with serving that suspension or he wouldn't be acting in a way that's likely to draw another tech. When that's the case, protecting Brooks from a suspension turns the environment more dangerous. But there is cause to protect others from guys like Brooks and Smart. Both are becoming more belligerent and violent as their careers progress, mainly because they're often rewarded for their behavior and certainly haven't received the kind of penalties that should make them reluctant to target opposing players.
    I've actually seen refs say that they give a little more room if the next technical involves a suspension.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    SAC continues to get no respect around the league. When you look at the DARKO stats, they're clearly one of the seven best teams in the NBA, but nobody talks about them. They don't even get a blip on the national radar. They can put all of that to bed by winning their first round series and advancing to the final eight in the playoffs, and then going from there into the rest of the playoffs this season and into the regular season and playoffs next year.
    I'm guessing they will get the fuzzy end of the lollipop during the playoffs as far as scheduled game times and officials go. I don't think the NBA wants to see a deep SAC run in the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm guessing they will get the fuzzy end of the lollipop during the playoffs as far as scheduled game times and officials go. I don't think the NBA wants to see a deep SAC run in the playoffs.
    Sadly, that's probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I love the phrase "the fuzzy end of the lollipop". That is new to me. I don't agree though. Sacramento will get the same scheduled game times and officials as their opponents.

12. Likes:

Chip R (03-15-2023),Revering4Blue (03-15-2023)

Turn Off Ads?