Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Creative: Starting Pitching Edition

Getting Creative: Starting Pitching Edition

The news out of Miami is that the Marlins are willing to deal one of their young starters. I assume they'd be willing to deal for an outfielder only, as they've already addressed their infield needs by signing Jean Segura (to obstensively play 3B).

Would Jake Fraley be enough to get Pablo Lopez? Would you be in favor of a deal like that?
    How about TJ Friedl and Michael Siani for Taylor Rogers?

If the Reds were willing to give up, say Noelvi Marte, what would you want from the Marlins?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Getting Creative: Starting Pitching Edition

I don’t think Lopez’s service time lines up with our window. Also, the OF we have are not much better than what the Marlins have currently.

I would trade Marte for Edward Cabrera and change.

I don’t see Reds trading important position prospects for pitching right now.

They are counting on Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Diaz. They’ll need more, but the position group is in flux, pending the promotion of prospects.

If anything, I see them trading infield prospects for outfield prospects, since their position prospect group is largely at shortstop/infield.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-08-2023),Revering4Blue (01-08-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t see Reds trading important position prospects for pitching right now.

They are counting on Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Diaz. They’ll need more, but the position group is in flux, pending the promotion of prospects.

If anything, I see them trading infield prospects for outfield prospects, since their position prospect group is largely at shortstop/infield.
    I could see them making a play for Trent Grisham before any of the Marlins starters.

Trading for Pablo Lopez is a move that would get me right back on board with the direction of the Reds. Of course any trade for him has to include a contract extension already agreed to though. Hes the perfect age for the Reds to lock up, and give you a legitimate #2 type starter that ads stability to a high potential but extremely raw rotation.

With that said are the Reds open to giving out a Homer Bailey type extension to a starter? My guess is that isnt even an option at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Would Jake Fraley be enough to get Pablo Lopez?
    Lol, no.

9. Likes:

Mitri (01-09-2023),Rojo Rijo (01-09-2023),Wayne Krivsky (01-09-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Lol, no.
    Yeah I have to imagine a Pablo Lopez trade starts with a name like Collier or Marte.

Marlins want immediate OF help. I'd be thrilled to do a deal around Collier, but that isn't what they'd be looking for. Not sure if Collier/Fraley plus an arm or two would get it done.

Collier/Fraley/Stoudt/Sims for Lopez maybe.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Marlins want immediate OF help. I'd be thrilled to do a deal around Collier, but that isn't what they'd be looking for. Not sure if Collier/Fraley plus an arm or two would get it done.

Collier/Fraley/Stoudt/Sims for Lopez maybe.
    I’d pass. Without Fraley, the Reds have no long term OFs. Collier has a chance to be a stud. Stoudt is likely on the staff this year. Sims could be good if he was healthy. If that’s what they want then that’s a big dose of nope from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’d pass. Without Fraley, the Reds have no long term OFs. Collier has a chance to be a stud. Stoudt is likely on the staff this year. Sims could be good if he was healthy. If that’s what they want then that’s a big dose of nope from me.
    I'm not convinced Fraley is a long term OF either. Lopez would give them a potential championship rotation. If your pitching is good every day, you always have a chance to win. Collier is a teenager 3 or 4 years away with a lot of stops to make and potentially stall out. Stoudt and Sims are just bodies.

I think the Reds long term OF is a couple of the IF who get moved out there and some one from lower levels who steps forward (maybe Hendrick).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    That's the direction the Reds seem to be going and why I think there is zero chance something gets done here. Plus the Reds almost have to extend Lopez to a mega contract to justify giving up that much minor league talent.

I may be intrigued by a package based around Fraley/McClain, but I'm not sure the Reds would be wise to bring up the big 3 (EDLC/Marte/Collier) in trade talks....at least yet. Once Collier or even an Arroyo get closer to the big leagues it could make sense to look at them as trade pieces to get a big arm to add to the rotation. high end prospects in the lower levels seem to be dealt at significantly discounted prices than in years prior.

I guess the real question in all of this seems to be am I significantly undervaluing Jake Fraley? Former big hype prospect seems to feel on his face. Goes to a new team as what seems to be a throw-in as part of a trade. 1st half was terrible, 2nd half looked to be a legitimate major league OF in a platoon situation. Is Fraley truly a valuable piece that other teams would give up actual assets for, or is this a case of an average player getting lifted up by the fan base for being on a terrible team?

Are we talking about the same Jake Fraley? The one that plays for the Cincinnati Reds?

The 27 year old OF with a career .224/.330/.393 slash line? As a center piece for Pablo Lopez?

Oof.

16. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post
    Are we talking about the same Jake Fraley? The one that plays for the Cincinnati Reds?

The 27 year old OF with a career .224/.330/.393 slash line? As a center piece for Pablo Lopez?

Oof.
    The guy with the 118 OPS+ and 800+ OPS from last season who went .295/ .377/ .526/ .903 in 200 second half PAs when given a full-time job?

Yeah, that Jake Fraley.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-09-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Ostensibly*

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The guy with the 118 OPS+ and 800+ OPS from last season who went .295/ .377/ .526/ .903 in 200 second half PAs when given a full-time job?

Yeah, that Jake Fraley.
    While I'm with you on Fraley I also don't see other teams valuing him that high. A post hype prospect with a second half break out playing a platoon role at GABP. I'm not giving up multiple years of control of a mid to top of the rotation type pitcher for that.

I'm on the Fraley bandwagon, but I think he might be more valuable to the Reds than via trade. The interesting piece with Fraley will be what the Reds do if he continues to put up a 800OPS+ into June. On one hand he is under team control for through 2026, but on the other arbitration starts after this year and the Reds may opt to move him for a haul at the deadline instead of giving him a raise.

Turn Off Ads?