Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Creative: Starting Pitching Edition

Re: Getting Creative: Starting Pitching Edition

Trevor Rogers could be an interesting buy low SP for the Reds. He had a down season in 2022 after finishing second to India for ROTY in 2021. I would deal Fraley plus a decent prospect(fringe top 10 or lower in the system) for Rogers.

2. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Fraley had a 121 wRC+ last year for Reds. 100 is league average. The Reds are fairly desperate for outfielders, it’s a thin position for them.

He’s certainly not untradeable, but I’m sure the Reds are counting on Fraley to be a main player against RHP next season.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Fraley had a 121 wRC+ last year for Reds. 100 is league average. The Reds are fairly desperate for outfielders, it’s a thin position for them.

He’s certainly not untradeable, but I’m sure the Reds are counting on Fraley to be a main player against RHP next season.
    If it took moving Fraley to land our 4th young SP to pair with the 2022 rookies then I'm trading him. Yes the Reds are thin at OF, but they are also thin at SP and they have more than a few good IF prospects who could play the OF as well as Fraley with a little practice. If Stephenson and Votto DH a lot then you can't hide Fraley there.

7. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    If it took moving Fraley to land our 4th young SP to pair with the 2022 rookies then I'm trading him. Yes the Reds are thin at OF, but they are also thin at SP and they have more than a few good IF prospects who could play the OF as well as Fraley with a little practice. If Stephenson and Votto DH a lot then you can't hide Fraley there.
    Plus there’s just a massive value disparity here. Fraley’s peak is as the adequate platoon player he was last year. He’s bad defensively and hits LHP at a .436 OPS clip. I mean… he’s fine, but he’s just a dude.

Lopez is 26 and over the last 3 seasons has a 119 ERA+ and a 3.48 FIP. He’s an established #2 or #3 SP with room to improve and 2 full years of team control. The Marlins aren’t trading him for a guy who was pretty good against RHP for almost half a season. Obviously I would do the trade. I would trade my lawnmower for a BMW too.

9. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Plus there’s just a massive value disparity here. Fraley’s peak is as the adequate platoon player he was last year. He’s bad defensively and hits LHP at a .436 OPS clip. I mean… he’s fine, but he’s just a dude.

Lopez is 26 and over the last 3 seasons has a 119 ERA+ and a 3.48 FIP. He’s an established #2 or #3 SP with room to improve and 2 full years of team control. The Marlins aren’t trading him for a guy who was pretty good against RHP for almost half a season. Obviously I would do the trade. I would trade my lawnmower for a BMW too.
    That’s nice but the proposal was Trevor Rogers for Fraley and a prospect. Post #16 above.

11. Likes:

redsfan9988 (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That’s nice but the proposal was Trevor Rogers for Fraley and a prospect. Post #16 above.
    Ah.

Rogers was a top-100 prospect who had a dominant age-23 season. He battled some injury troubles last year and a very high BABip. If the prospect is someone in our top-10 maybe…

I don’t think we’ll be getting any good, young, controllable pitching for Jake Fraley.

He’s not better than Brayan de la Cruz or Avisail Garcia and JJ Bleday was a huge prospect. I see no reason for them to give us assets for non-assets.

Fraley isn't going to be the main piece for any of those pitchers lol. Maybe as a secondary guy.

I was thinking India would be the guy a team like the Marlins would be interested in.

India for Rogers would be something to consider.

14. Likes:

757690 (01-09-2023),Old school 1983 (01-09-2023),redsfan9988 (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Fraley isn't going to be the main piece for any of those pitchers lol. Maybe as a secondary guy.

I was thinking India would be the guy a team like the Marlins would be interested in.

India for Rogers would be something to consider.
    The Marlins are specifically looking for OF help. If the Reds are going to make a deal for one of those pitchers (anf they should consider it IMO) its going to be Fraley plus other stuff. Rogers or Lazurdo will probably cost the least, but I think you're lookimg at Fraley plus a couple top 15 guys. One of the starting candidates and somebody else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

One way to "get creative" would be to offer to take on most of Avisall Garcia's contract along with one of the SP for a lesser player return. In that scenario I would go after Edward Cabrera if the Marlins were motivated to shed some $.

17. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2023)

If the Marlins are set on getting OF help in return for any of these pitchers, then there isn’t a match for the Reds. Fraley is the best the Reds have to offer, and he ain’t nearly enough. Honestly, the Reds need OF help at least as much as the Marlins.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2023),Old school 1983 (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Marlins are specifically looking for OF help. If the Reds are going to make a deal for one of those pitchers (anf they should consider it IMO) its going to be Fraley plus other stuff. Rogers or Lazurdo will probably cost the least, but I think you're lookimg at Fraley plus a couple top 15 guys. One of the starting candidates and somebody else.
    I figure India will be in LF in a couple of years. He could be good out there, too.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense for the Reds to trade away a good young bat like India. They need to add bats, not trade them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I figure India will be in LF in a couple of years. He could be good out there, too.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense for the Reds to trade away a good young bat like India. They need to add bats, not trade them away.
    If they can get a pitcher who is part of the core for shorter term assets, that's the deal. I'm not seeing fraley as a long-term core player. If he could be part of a deal for a more core guy, I'd take the short term hit to the OF. 2023 means nothing other than putting pieces in place. Trading Fraley might hurt 2023, but if it results in putting a piece in place, then he's gotta go.

India, I lean more toward keeping him, but I'm thinking 3B is his long-term home. If the reds are intent on Marte at 3B, then India might be a guy to deal.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-09-2023 at 08:51 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If they can get a pitcher who is part of the core for shorter term assets, that's the deal. I'm not seeing fraley as a long-term core player. If he could be part of a deal for a more core guy, I'd take the short term hit to the OF. 2023 means nothing other than putting pieces in place. Trading Fraley might hurt 2023, but if it results in putting a piece in place, then he's gotta go.

India, I lean more toward keeping him, but I'm thinking 3B is his long-term home. If the reds are intent on Marte at 3B, then India might be a guy to deal.
    India needs to move to 3rd sooner rather than later with the new infield rules. He is not very good at 2B and will be worse without the shift.

23. Likes:

mth123 (01-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Armo21 View Post
    India needs to move to 3rd sooner rather than later with the new infield rules. He is not very good at 2B and will be worse without the shift.
    Couldn't agree more. He should be at 3B this year. Steer can play 2B until others arrive.

25. Likes:

Armo21 (01-09-2023)

Couldn't agree more. He should be at 3B this year. Steer can play 2B until others arrive.

So does his bat project to another position? I like India but he is not good at 2nd, does his bat play at 3rd or as others have said LF?

Turn Off Ads?