Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NFL Draft Thread

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Figured we could use a thread to discuss the upcoming draft with the order set except for playoff teams.

Jalen Carter or Will Anderson look like they will be the first pick unless the Bears trade down (they should). Whoever doesn’t will probably end up at Arizona at 3.

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud will likely be in Houston or Indianapolis at 2 and 4. The question is which goes where.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Might Seattle package their 1st rd picks and move up to snag a QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Might Seattle package their 1st rd picks and move up to snag a QB?
    Could argue that for Detroit as well but I think they are sold on Jared Goff.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-11-2023),Kingspoint (01-11-2023)

Can Las Vegas use our first rounder to draft a new owner?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Chicago needs the following:

QB needy teams - check
    A few QB prospects with real NFL potential - check
    Those QB prospects to look fantastic at pro-day/combine - TBD
    To not be complete morons and botch the decision - TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Chicago needs the following:

QB needy teams - check
    A few QB prospects with real NFL potential - check
    Those QB prospects to look fantastic at pro-day/combine - TBD
    To not be complete morons and botch the decision - TBD
    I think they could trade with Seattle as Sea Ray suggested for Bryce Young. Chicago could move down to 5 and likely get one of Anderson/Carter and net a second and first round pick in 2024 and replenish the draft pick they traded for Chase Claypool.

If the Seahawks trade up and the Colts and Texans stand pat three QBs could go in the first four picks with Arizona taking a defensive player. Chicago would get who they want.

Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think they could trade with Seattle as Sea Ray suggested for Bryce Young. Chicago could move down to 5 and likely get one of Anderson/Carter and net a second and first round pick in 2024 and replenish the draft pick they traded for Chase Claypool.

If the Seahawks trade up and the Colts and Texans stand pat three QBs could go in the first four picks with Arizona taking a defensive player. Chicago would get who they want.

Makes sense to me.
    I agree with that. I think it puts them in excellent position. The only thing I wonder about Seattle is if they could decide they want to sign Geno instead.

Geno is 32. Bryce Young and Stroud are 21. Seattle should think long term.

But if I'm Chicago I REALLY think about resetting at QB. If Fields was coming out this year he would be behind Young and Stroud IMO. You can gain 2 additional cost-controlled years by resetting, and there's still doubts about Fields passing... You can probably get a first for Fields.

Here's Rich Eisen talking about #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UDwqJ2W3xc
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-10-2023 at 10:31 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

The crop of young, elite, potential HOF-QB's starring in the NFL right now is going to make the rest of the league envious and reaching for QB's for the next several years, creating disparity in the league as teams repeatedly find themselves picking in the Top-10.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Bengals need a LT more than anything else.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Bengals need a LT more than anything else.
    Defense as well. Pratt is a FA at the end of the year and Logan Wilson the year after.

Vonn Bell and Jessie Bates are FAs and Dax Hill and Tycen Anderson are the only safeties on the roster after this year.

Pass rush could always be upgraded as well.

They can sign a LT in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

But if I'm Chicago I REALLY think about resetting at QB. If Fields was coming out this year he would be behind Young and Stroud IMO. You can gain 2 additional cost-controlled years by resetting, and there's still doubts about Fields passing... You can probably get a first for Fields.

It would just come down to whether Seattle thinks they've got a team in place to win right now and whether they feel one of the rookie QBs has the ability to step in and lead a winning NFL team from day 1. Or Seattle could always sign Geno to a 1 year deal and have the new QB sit and learn for a year.

If Chicago goes that route i'd be on the phone to the Jets, Panthers, and Falcons. I feel like all 3 of those teams still have to be kicking themselves over passing on Fields in the draft and he's such a dynamic player right now that he's miles better than any FA QB they'd have a real shot at. Ultimately I think Chicago likes Fields enough and I can't imagine how bad it would be if they dealt Fields, he went on to be great somewhere else, and the Bears new QB pick didnt pan out. That's a potential legendary mistake. Personally I think Fields is better than he gets credit for and I wouldve grabbed him before Zack Wilson or Trey Lance without any hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Could argue that for Detroit as well but I think they are sold on Jared Goff.
    Detroit is in a bad spot. A QB good enough to win some games, but not good enough to win bigger ones. Perpetual 9-10 win seasons and 1st round playoff exits. I would try and trade up to get a good QB if they can. If not, then fine but Goff ain't leading them to much glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Detroit is in a bad spot. A QB good enough to win some games, but not good enough to win bigger ones. Perpetual 9-10 win seasons and 1st round playoff exits. I would try and trade up to get a good QB if they can. If not, then fine but Goff ain't leading them to much glory.
    Detroit gets the #6 and #18 picks in what is a draft with a solid amount of 1st round talent. On top of that they add Jameson Williams, last years #12 overall pick. If I had to guess i'd say they are sold enough of Goffs ability and the fact that they finished the season on an 8-2 run to go and get surrounding pieces as opposed to buying a top pick to draft a QB.

If I were Detroit i'd use the #6 on the best defensive player available, unless there is still a QB on the board at that point and I could trade out for a nice pick package. I'd then use the #18 to trade out of the 1st and add more day 2 picks, possibly a future 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

No one in Chicago is going to be successful without better skill position players.

I don't know if Justin Fields is a legit starter in the league or a fantastic fantasy player. But regardless of that, his skill position players are terrible. If I were Chicago (and I am biased because I am a Fields fan) I would move that #1 overall pick for draft capital to revamp the offense. IMO Stroud won't be successful in a system where the skill position players are garbage. And Bryce Young reminds me of a smaller Justin Fields without the elite running ability.

Seattle is interesting because they have the draft capital and a team that is ready to be a SB contender with a solid QB.

Turn Off Ads?