Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I did a mock draft this morning. Usually I just toss them, but I ran one this morning that I think exemplifies what will happen between now and draft day.

Trades:
    NYJ gets:
    OT Jonah Williams

CIN gets:
    #74 pick
    -----------------------
    LVR gets:
    #28 pick

CIN gets:
    #38 pick
    #70 pick

===============

2.038 TE Luke Musgrave
    2.060 SA Sydney Brown
    2.070 CB Eli Ricks
    2.074 RB Devon Achane
    2.092 OT Tyler Steen
    2.131 DT Kobie Turner
    2.164 TE Davis Allen
    2.205 WR Ronnie Bell
    2.247 CB Darrell Luter Jr
    Am I getting this right? We trade Jonah Williams and our #1 pick and we get back a 2nd rd pick and a couple thirds...in a 3 way deal? What did the Raiders give up to get a first rd pick? Yeah, that'll really happen...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Am I getting this right? We trade Jonah Williams and our #1 pick and we get back a 2nd rd pick and a couple thirds...in a 3 way deal? What did the Raiders give up to get a first rd pick? Yeah, that'll really happen...
    Two separate trades using the PFF trade utility, which accepted the trades.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Kentucky's Will Levis posted pics of himself yesterday about his "muscling up". That would scare me off if I was a team. He looked more like a body builder than a QB. I'd be a little concerned about steroids also.

Name:  Fsabud0XgAENCc0.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  145.5 KB
    Last edited by JaxRed; 03-30-2023 at 10:02 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Kentucky's Will Levis posted pics of himself yesterday about his "muscling up". That would scare me off if I was a team. He looked more like a body builder than a QB. I'd be a little concerned about steroids also.
    I'm more terrified by what appears to be a conjoined twin's head beginning to protrude from his upper right shoulder area. He oughta' get that looked at...just sayin'.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

6. Likes:

Chip R (03-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'm more terrified by what appears to be a conjoined twin's head beginning to protrude from his upper right shoulder area. He oughta' get that looked at...just sayin'.
    I think he had shoulder surgery if I remember which can be pretty invasive.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    A pump and lighting can do wonders for your physique lol. Left side looks like he just woke up, hence the flatter look.

Also, no surprise, but PED use is rampant in the NFL, as well as the College & HS levels.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

9. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (04-03-2023)

March 31st, 2023 at 7:47pm CST by Sam Robinson

The Steelers traded Chase Claypool for a second-round pick last year, and given their reputation for selecting Day 2 wideouts, it should not surprise the team is being connected to such a move once again. The team will seek an upgrade in the slot, GM Omar Khan said (via The Athletic’s Mark Kaboly). Hopeful slot weapon Calvin Austin III missed his entire rookie year due to injury. The team should be considered likely to address this need by Round 3, Kaboly adds in a separate piece. From 2013-22, the Steelers chose eight wideouts on Day 2. Both their current top two receivers — Diontae Johnson and George Pickens — were Friday-night draftees.

- - - Updated - - -

The Browns no longer have a second-round pick thanks to the Elijah Moore pick-swap trade. The Browns eyed Moore since his trade request emerged last year, GM Andrew Berry said (via Cabot). After a dispute with then-Jets OC Mike LaFleur, Moore requested a trade. The Jets were adamant they did not want to trade Moore at the time, but after they signed Allen Lazard and Mecole Hardman, the Ole Miss alum became expendable. Still, Cabot adds Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh vouched for Moore’s character to the Browns ahead of the trade.

- - - Updated - - -

It does not sound like the Ravens will use a notable resource to replace Ben Powers. John Harbaugh alluded to another competition — one featuring former third-round pick Ben Cleveland, ex-Raiders draftee John Simpson, swingman Patrick Mekari and 2022 fourth-round tackle Daniel Faalele (who is 6-foot-9) as options — being how the team will replace Powers, who won a left guard battle last year. Powers, who scored a four-year Broncos deal worth $52MM, beat out Cleveland in training camp. A draft choice could be added here, but The Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec does not anticipate a high pick going to this spot.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Multiple Teams Are Removing Jalen Carter

Updated April 3, 2023
    By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

Reports came out recentlyy that Las Vegas Raiders had ruled out Georgia defensive tackle Jalen Carter. Carter is one of the most talented players for the 2023 NFL Draft and is an elite athlete. However, there are a lot of character and work-ethic concerns with Carter around the league. Those were established before his street-racing incident, and then he gained nine pounds between the combine and pro day, with Carter being so out of shape that he could not complete his pro-day workout. Those issues led to Carter being ruled out by the Raiders, according to media reports. WalterFootball.com spoke with sources from two other teams picking in the top 10 that need help at defensive tackle, and they said that Carter is getting pulled off their draft boards as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Yet Carter is only visiting teams in the top 10 per his agent.

Could be a messy draft night for him. Kinda surprised he hasn't fallen in any of the mock drafts.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A team I really think should trade up for Will Levis and it would work: the Minnesota Vikings.

Kirk Cousins is a FA after this year. Levis could sit behind Cousins and Kevin OConnell coached with Liam Coen who got the best out of Levis.

Imagine Levis throwing to Justin Jefferson. It would probably be the best situation for Levis outside of Vegas.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    A team I really think should trade up for Will Levis and it would work: the Minnesota Vikings.

Kirk Cousins is a FA after this year. Levis could sit behind Cousins and Kevin OConnell coached with Liam Coen who got the best out of Levis.

Imagine Levis throwing to Justin Jefferson. It would probably be the best situation for Levis outside of Vegas.

The Coach and Cousins have a great relationship that's not going to be changed until Cousins proves he can't do it anymore or the Coach can't win Division Titles. It's a great idea, but they are probably going to resign Cousins. MIN's biggest problem the last three seasons has been their cap numbers. A lot of that was Cousins' contract, but just as much of that was free agent signings on the Offensive Line that didn't work out, retaining highly successful Defenders that Zimmer set up to be successful, and, well, that's it. They lost a lot of assets trying to clear salary, not being able to resign some quality players. They now need to replace Thielen as Jefferson will be shown a Cover-2 probably every play, forcing someone else to beat them. Their Defense is not very good anymore.

They have a lot of problems and I agree with you that they need to go a different direction from Cousins. I don't know how they could obtain a high draft pick though as they don't have the assets to trade away to take a risk on a Rookie QB. They are in win-now mode and they need a quantity of young talent to give them better financial flexibility. They'd lose that trying to trade up for a pick that moves them up 10 spots in the 1st Rd. I'm guessing that That franchise-tag is going to be huge after Hurts, Burrow and Herbert sign their new contracts over the next 12 months. Vikings can't afford that. They might try to get Cousins to sign an extension before that happens for two extra years at about the current franchise-tag value of $32M. That gives them a window of three years before blowing it up.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-03-2023 at 07:21 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Coach and Cousins have a great relationship that's not going to be changed until Cousins proves he can't do it anymore or the Coach can't win Division Titles.
    Cousins isn't getting any younger and if you have the chance to add what is essentially the same QB but with higher upside go for it.

It worked for the Chiefs replacing Alex Smith with Patrick Mahomes.

I think, inadvertantly, that it's just been revealed that the Colts are going to trade up for a QB.

Because if your Owner comes out and basically states that you need to win or you're gone, then the only move you can possibly make to save your job this season is to draft the right QB for the Colts. Using retreads has not been working. And, by the "right" QB, that means getting the best that your scouts say that is in this draft. You have to try to move up to do it, and Carolina seems like a team that might be willing to move down. If anything, you can't let someone leapfrog you and trade with Arizona and take the QB that you want.

I don't think you can talk your owner into paying the price that it would cost to obtain Lamar Jackson, but if I was Ballard, I'd definitely come in with a proposal of two choices...Lamar Jackson and exactly what it would take, or moving up into the Top-3 in order to at least get the 3rd best QB available (maybe 1 or 2 if your scouts see things differently). What you can't do is sit there at 4 and let the draft work you. I don't think you'll be around next season.

April 4th, 2023 at 9:11pm CST by Ben Levine

The Colts have three winning seasons and two playoff appearances during Chris Ballard‘s six seasons as the team’s general manager. Even in the midst of a 4-12-1 campaign that featured the firing of head coach Frank Reich, Colts owner Jim Irsay continued to endorse his top decision maker. However, fast forward a few months, and Irsay is now hinting that the Colts will have to perform better on the field if Ballard hopes to keep his job.

“Everyone has to be successful to keep their job, if you’re a general manager or head coach,” Irsay said (via Zak Keefer of The Athletic). “I really feel that he’s not on some quick, hot seat. But the expectations are there.” As Keefer notes, Irsay has always been fond of his GM, admiring the executive’s drafting prowess and roster-building ability. The owner has also been willing to take part of the blame for the team’s recent inconsistencies, but Ballard was given full control of the recent head coaching search and will be fully responsible for making the Colts’ selection at No. 4 later this month.

In other words, if Ballard fails, it will be on him, and any struggles in 2023 could ultimately lead to the GM’s firing. As Keefer writes, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the Colts have to be a playoff contender; rather, Irsay will be looking for “hope, optimism, [or] tangible proof that Ballard can fix the mess he’s made.” Normally, a GM with Ballard’s resume probably would have been fired a few years ago, but Irsay also indicated that the organization is still reeling from Andrew Luck‘s sudden retirement decision in 2019.

“I’m not gonna make excuses for (Chris) or anyone else, (but) you know, the Andrew Luck card’s never been seen by a general manager before,” Irsay said. “I mean, that’s a tough one, guys. I’d like to see how other teams would respond when you have a 29-year-old who was supposed to be there for the next 10 years and win two Lombardis just walks away, two weeks before the season starts. I mean, that’s a hard one, you know?”

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-11-2023)

April 10th, 2023 at 1:56pm CST by Adam La Rose
    The top two selections in the 2023 draft – owned by the Panthers and Texans – are widely expected to be used on quarterbacks. The same is true of the Colts at No. 4, which has fueled plenty of speculation regarding what the Cardinals will do with the third overall pick. They will likely have a number of suitors if they choose to move down the board.

Arizona has received inquiries from “at least six teams” on the subject of the availability of the No. 3 pick, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter (Twitter link). That comes as little surprise, considering the standalone value of that slot and what it represents in this year’s pecking order for teams eyeing a rookie signal-caller. Any team looking to jump ahead of Indianapolis to secure the third-best QB in the class (likely either Florida’s Anthony Richardson or Kentucky’s Will Levis) would need to send a sizeable package to Arizona. The Colts themselves could guard against that possibility by moving up one spot, something which would guarantee the Cardinals having a free choice of the best defensive players available. Other teams – including the Raiders (scheduled to pick seventh) and Titans (11th) have been linked to a jump up the board, likely the third spot. That could result in a bidding war, something which would of course greatly benefit Arizona.

The Cardinals had a highly disappointing campaign in 2022, and have undergone a house cleaning in the front office and on the sidelines. Without many young, foundational pieces in place, anything which would allow Arizona to add draft capital in 2023 and/or future years would likely outweigh the immediate benefits of staying put. The Cardinals currently have four of the draft’s first 96 picks. Schefter notes that the team remains undecided with respect to keeping or trading the pick. A decision will likely not be made until draft night itself, as teams have yet to complete their QB evaluations and those of other top prospects. Waiting to see how the first two selections shake out could allow new Cardinals GM Monti Ossenfort to maximize his leverage against teams looking to move up. In either case, Arizona figure to be a team to watch as the draft draws nearer.

NFL Sunday Ticket pricing per Arti Meirov

YouTube has announced its pricing for NFL Sunday Ticket:

YouTube TV subscribers:
    • $349/season ($249 if you purchase before June 6)
    • $389 ($289 early) if you bundle with RedZone

Non-YouTube TV subscribers:
    • $449/season ($349 early)
    • $489 ($389 early) with RedZone
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?