Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Thus "small minority of teams".

2022 - 6 teams
    2021 - 2 teams
    2020 - 3 teams
    2019 - 3 teams
    2018 - 2 teams
    2017 - 5 teams
    That's plenty to show that the cap is not a cap. I'm not sure what your point is

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Sets New Revenue Record, Exceeding $10.8 Billion For 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    As soon as you can argue against the above quote from SeaRay, then you may have something.
    Yes, you get it. That's the crux of the issue. Pointing out outliers like "the Rays made the playoffs" or "most teams stayed under the $233M salary cap" doesn't move the needle here. The rich teams should be forced to cut payroll while the poorer teams should be forced to add. The players should be guaranteed a fair percentage of revenues. Since it's baseball, I'd even accept a wide range salary cap, like maybe $125-225mill...but something like that has to happen. The way it is now, fans in small markets are losing interest. Every yr it comes down to cities in markets like NY, LA, Chicago, Houston and Atlanta. In today's system there's no way we could have an era like the 70s where the best teams were in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Oakland. It'd be impossible in today's MLB system. That needs to change. That's not to say that our management/owners here in Cin aren't doing horribly. They are. But that's not in dispute. It appears that a sal cap/floor is in dispute

4. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-14-2023),dreghorntwo (01-14-2023),RED VAN HOT (01-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's plenty to show that the cap is not a cap. I'm not sure what your point is
    You're putting words in my mouth. I never said it was a cap.

My point is, there are TWELVE playoff spots. Go ahead and guarantee those over the tax. You spend $50M on payroll because you can't compete with the other 27 teams for 9 spots? That is WEAK

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-14-2023)

As soon as you can argue against the above quote from SeaRay, then you may have something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes, you get it. That's the crux of the issue. Pointing out outliers like "the Rays made the playoffs" or "most teams stayed under the $233M salary cap" doesn't move the needle here. The rich teams should be forced to cut payroll while the poorer teams should be forced to add. The players should be guaranteed a fair percentage of revenues. Since it's baseball, I'd even accept a wide range salary cap, like maybe $125-225mill...but something like that has to happen. The way it is now, fans in small markets are losing interest. Every yr it comes down to cities in markets like NY, LA, Chicago, Houston and Atlanta. In today's system there's no way we could have an era like the 70s where the best teams were in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Oakland. It'd be impossible in today's MLB system. That needs to change. That's not to say that our management/owners here in Cin aren't doing horribly. They are. But that's not in dispute. It appears that a sal cap/floor is in dispute
    Never once did I say the system wasn't broken. I'm saying it's not a cap problem. Go ahead and put a cap in at 50% of revenue ($180M). Are the Reds suddenly going to spend an extra $100M because the Mets can't spend $100M more? Heck no. It's a floor problem

8. Likes:

mth123 (01-14-2023),Ron Madden (01-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Never once did I say the system wasn't broken. I'm saying it's not a cap problem. Go ahead and put a cap in at 50% of revenue ($180M). Are the Reds suddenly going to spend an extra $100M because the Mets can't spend $100M more? Heck no. It's a floor problem
    It's both. The same thing happened in the NFL. They wanted parity so they required everyone to spend up to the same amount. Then you had cheapasses like Mike Brown, doing the same thing Reds ownership is doing now. So they implemented a cap floor. Big cities still have advantages. Greater opportunities to make more money outside of sports for players, for example. But at least it gives the small market teams a fighting chance. And it's a disincentive for team owners to do what guys like Nutting and the Reds owners are doing.

There needs to be a cap and a floor. Or relegation. Won't ever happen, but that's what's needed.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

It's both. The same thing happened in the NFL. They wanted parity so they required everyone to spend up to the same amount. Then you had cheapasses like Mike Brown, doing the same thing Reds ownership is doing now. So they implemented a cap floor. Big cities still have advantages. Greater opportunities to make more money outside of sports for players, for example. But at least it gives the small market teams a fighting chance. And it's a disincentive for team owners to do what guys like Nutting and the Reds owners are doing.

There needs to be a cap and a floor. Or relegation. Won't ever happen, but that's what's needed.
    I just don't agree that a hard cap is a necessity at this point. In 2022, 18 teams spent under that $180M mark (half of revenues) to the tune of $859M. The 12 teams above $180M spent to the tune of $589M. Teams spent $5.1B on payroll, so I think the priority needs to be the floor. Am I opposed to a cap? Absolutely not. I just think the floor is the bigger issue here.

11. Likes:

HammerTime (01-16-2023),mth123 (01-14-2023),REDREAD (01-21-2023),Revering4Blue (01-14-2023),Ron Madden (01-14-2023)

Phil C is currently giving a presentation where he said that that Reds are a “non profit organization” and is currently complaining about TV revenue.

Someone needs to tackle him and tie him up so he can’t speak anymore.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2023),Ron Madden (01-14-2023)

Phil C busting out the slides

Name:  F2D4EC07-4624-44ED-8416-5E21B91AEC30.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  246.8 KB

Phil C now complaining about guaranteed contracts. He really doesn’t seem to want to own a MLB team.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2023)

I don’t think he’s drunk this time, so they aren’t going to be able to blame it on that this time. They’re going to have to lock him back into the basement after this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Phil C now complaining about guaranteed contracts. He really doesn’t seem to want to own a MLB team.
    Where is he saying all this bull crap?

why are the Reds owners always an embarrassment? Forget baseball. The entire country must think Cincinnati is filled with morons.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-14-2023 at 01:19 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2023),Revering4Blue (01-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Where is he saying all this bull crap?
    Rosie Luncheon.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Rosie Luncheon.
    Thank You.
    Is there a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Thank You.
    Is there a link?
    No, but a bunch of people are live tweeting it.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-14-2023)

Turn Off Ads?