Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Luke Weaver

Re: Reds Sign Luke Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    My early prediction was that we would lose 80% of his Starts. After his last two outings, I'm adjusting that to 60%.

We should have outbid the Marlins for the Dominican Dynamo.
    I don't know. I was bullish on Cueto but he's given up 11 hits in 3.2 IP with 2 bombs and a 27.00 ERA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't know. I was bullish on Cueto but he's given up 11 hits in 3.2 IP with 2 bombs and a 27.00 ERA.
    He may be tired of Spring Trainings. I expect him to do well when the games count.

But, then with Miami so close to the Dominican Republic, he could have one foot in Miami and the other back home already. Wouldn't suprise me if he blows up with an ERA above 7.00 and gets released by June. At some point for every Veteran, their heart no longer is in it.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-09-2023 at 11:00 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

malcontent (03-18-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Starter Luke Weaver left his minor league game yesterday with a minor forearm injury. David Bell said Weaver making his next start is in question.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Luke Weaver exited early from his start in a minor league game yesterday with a sore forearm.

Early indications is it's a minor injury, but he may not make his next scheduled start.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-14-2023 at 07:06 PM.

Ugh. Not good, even if it’s a short delay. The Reds need as many healthy pitchers as possible.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-14-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Luke Weaver said he’s day to day. “I had some past experience with something similar, but this is nowhere near the same.

I just need a day or two for some treatment and for it to calm down and get right back into it. That’s the goal. I don’t see this being a long-term thing.”

9. Likes:

757690 (03-14-2023)

Sounds like a Senzel statement

11. Likes:

JFLegal (03-19-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

David Bell said Luke Weaver (forearm) will throw today, which is a "really good sign."

Joey Votto will continue to play deeper into games as he continues to make good progress.

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon

Some Reds injury updates:

Luke Weaver (sore right forearm) has resumed throwing but it will be a couple of more days before he gets on a mound.

That may not leave enough time to be ready for the start of regular season.

Lucas Sims hasn't been throwing last few days because of back spasms.

Bell said this was unrelated to the back issues and surgery Sims had in 2022.

lucas sims had back surgery.

lucas sims is currently experiencing back spasms.

but the two things are definitely not related!

[seriously, i suppose that is possible, but does it not seem highly unlikely? what a massive coincidence if not.]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Sounds like a Senzel statement
    "he's day-to-day."

[2 days later...]

"we're hoping to get him back in 2025. by the all-star break."

15. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (03-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    lucas sims had back surgery.

lucas sims is currently experiencing back spasms.

but the two things are definitely not related!

[seriously, i suppose that is possible, but does it not seem highly unlikely? what a massive coincidence if not.]

- - - Updated - - -

"he's day-to-day."

[2 days later...]

"we're hoping to get him back in 2025. by the all-star break."

There were concerns about Reds reliever Lucas Sims when he felt back spasms this week after missing most of last season with a back injury, but it appears it was just a scare.

Sims underwent an exam, which showed the spasm was unrelated to the microdiscectomy surgery he had last July to alleviate a bulging disc. He remains on track to be ready for Opening Day.

“At first, a little uncertainty,” Sims said. “Anything that creeps up that is vaguely similar, it makes you nervous. It already progressed pretty well. I’m moving a lot better and I’m in a better spot now. Initially, of course, with the history, it makes you a little nervous, but we’re in a good spot.”

It’s been an up-and-down spring for Sims, who should fit into a setup role when he’s pitching at his best. He’s allowed nine hits and nine runs in his last four appearances, failing to record an out against six Seattle batters on March 10.

“There were a couple of things I was trying to work on differently as far as game plan and execution,” Sims said. “It’s just getting back into that compete mode. I feel like the stuff is there. Now it’s more the pitching side of things. Remembering how to attack hitters the way I want, how to execute my pitches.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...mage=AAUjmHe|2

Luke Weaver set to join Reds' rotation; Casey Legumina called up

During the offseason, the Cincinnati Reds were looking for an experienced starting pitcher to slot into the middle of the rotation on a one-year deal. Luke Weaver, 29, was looking for a chance to reestablish himself as a starting pitcher and start a new chapter in his career.

The Reds signed Weaver to a one-year deal during the offseason, and Weaver’s “prove it” year will begin on Wednesday against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Weaver was set back by a minor forearm injury during spring training, but he concluded his rehab assignment on Friday and is back with the Reds in Cincinnati.

“He has a lot of experience having success in this league,” Reds manager David Bell said. “He really likes being here, enjoys working with (Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson) and feels like he can become a better pitcher than he has ever been to this point. He has a lot of years (in MLB), but he’s still young.”

Weaver, a former top prospect who made his debut in 2016, has only made more than 13 starts in one of his seven years in MLB. He’s an athletic pitcher with a four-pitch mix and a standout changeup, but injuries have prevented him from gaining much momentum.

Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...age=AA19SVD3|2

Weaver takes Overton's spot in Reds' rotation

Luke Weaver was probably going into the Reds' rotation in Connor Overton's place after his rehab assignment ends, but the move became a lock when Overton complained of a sore elbow after leaving Friday's start.

The Reds signed Weaver, the 29-year-old right-hander, in January for $2 million for rotation depth. He strained his elbow in Spring Training. He made two rehab starts at Louisville, going four innings in the first game and five in the second. He allowed three runs on three hits, struck out nine and walked four over nine innings.

Overton struggled in all three starts for the Reds. He was 0-1 with an 11.45 ERA. He told the team about the elbow issue after allowing five runs in three innings in Friday's 8-3 loss to the Phillies, and the club placed him on the 15-day injured list Saturday.
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/luke-w...-reds-rotation

So far Luke Weaver is better than Conner Overton and Luis Cessa.

Weaver 6.00 ERA
    Cessa 13.50 ERA
    Overton 11.45 ERA
    Stoudt 15.75 ERA
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-20-2023 at 10:28 PM.

20. Likes:

757690 (04-20-2023),Kingspoint (04-20-2023)

To be truthfully honest, isn't the REDS' organization day-to-day?

I think most of here are just trying to find baby steps that make it appear that the franchise is moving forward.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

22. Likes:

mth123 (04-21-2023),Revering4Blue (04-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    So far Luke Weaver is better than Conner Overton and Luis Cessa.

Weaver 6.00 ERA
    Cessa 13.50 ERA
    Overton 11.45 ERA
    Stoudt 15.75 ERA
    It’s like saying he’s a funnier comedian than Carrot Top, Dane Cook and Pauley Shore
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

24. Likes:

Chip R (05-03-2023),Kingspoint (04-21-2023),Ky Fried Redleg (04-20-2023),Patrick Bateman (04-22-2023)

Turn Off Ads?