Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Luke Weaver

Haunted by walks

Re: Reds Sign Luke Weaver

Work with me here. Luke “Sky” Weaver.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds sign right-hander Luke Weaver to a one-year, $2 million contract.

A starter most of his career, Weaver worked almost exclusively out of the bullpen last season for Arizona and Kansas City.

While Weaver didn't have sterling numbers, Krall noted that Weaver also had a 2.69 FIP (fielding independent pitching). It's a statistic that focuses solely on the events a pitcher has the most control over -- strikeouts, walks, hit-by-pitches and home runs. It removes results on balls hit into the field of play.

"There’s obviously luck in there," Krall said. "Sometimes guys do get hit more than they should, but I think overall he’s got a chance to turn over a lineup. And I think that we just need one to take a shot on, especially with how good his peripherals were last year."

If Weaver doesn't crack the rotation, he would be used as a bullpen asset.

"We’ll see if he can make some adjustments and get him back on the right track," Krall said of Weaver. "I think he can start, he can relieve. It just adds another guy that gives you some innings and competition starting in Spring Training. If he gets back to where he was, he’s a solid back-end starter.”

Utility player Matt Reynolds was designated for assignment to make room for Weaver on Cincinnati's 40-man roster.

Reynolds manned seven defensive positions (including two outings as a pitcher) and also served as a designated hitter across 92 games in 2022, batting .246 with a .652 OPS and three home runs. If he clears waivers, Krall said he would like to bring Reynolds back as a Spring Training non-roster invitee.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/luke-w...igns-with-reds

I was hoping they would aim higher for a back end SP, but it's better than nothing I guess.

5. Likes:

HokieRed (01-13-2023),Ron Madden (01-13-2023)

A $2M guaranteed major league contract is kind of surprising for a guy who was on waivers last year and then pitched so poorly after being claimed.

7. Likes:

BoxingRed (01-14-2023),CesarGeronimo (01-13-2023),Falls City Beer (01-14-2023),Kinsm (01-14-2023),Revering4Blue (01-14-2023),Ron Madden (01-13-2023)

The 29-year-old Weaver has over five years of major league service time. He can’t be optioned without his consent, so he’s a virtual lock to open the season on the MLB roster in some capacity.

He’ll return to the free agent market again at year’s end, and the one-year term makes him an obvious midseason trade candidate if things click early in his Cincinnati tenure.

The Reds are unlikely to hang around the playoff picture in 2023, making it likely they’d field offers on short-term veterans like Weaver and fellow free agent signee Wil Myers if those players perform well enough to draw interest from contenders.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...ke-weaver.html

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Work with me here. Luke “Sky” Weaver.
    Nope.

Luke "Dream" Weaver.

10. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-14-2023),icehole3 (01-14-2023),klw (01-13-2023),mth123 (01-13-2023),NC Reds (01-14-2023),Revering4Blue (01-14-2023),Ron Madden (01-13-2023),savafan (01-13-2023),SomeCallMeTim (01-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Weaver isn't what I hoped for, but he's a better bet than Kuhnel Gibaut, Cruz. Dunn, Stoudt, Williamson etc for a role on the big legue staff. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that he's an upgrade. Not the big upgrade that's needed, but I'd rather innings go to him than any of those other guys.

If he keeps Williamson and Stoudt in AAA until they knock the door down as opposed to just forcing then into a role, this signing is worth 10 times whatever they are paying him.
    So, from Krall's interview, it looks like Weaver will start the season as the fifth starter.

That gives the Reds Greene/ Lodolo/ Ashcraft/ Cessa/ Weaver as a rotation on Opening Day, with Overton/ Dunn/ Williamson/ Stoudt (likely in that order) behind them either in AAA or as swing-men in the bullpen.

12. Likes:

mth123 (01-13-2023),Revering4Blue (01-14-2023)

My preference would be

Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Weaver, Overton in the rotation

Diaz, Antone, Cessa, Sims, Santillan, SanMartin, Farmer and a new lefty in the bullepn (AAA shuttle spot if they don't bring in a lefty). I'd like to keep the career minor leaguers to a minimum.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-16-2023),malcontent (01-14-2023),Revering4Blue (01-14-2023)

The Royals let him go... from their bullpen... ugh.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    So, from Krall's interview, it looks like Weaver will start the season as the fifth starter.

That gives the Reds Greene/ Lodolo/ Ashcraft/ Cessa/ Weaver as a rotation on Opening Day, with Overton/ Dunn/ Williamson/ Stoudt (likely in that order) behind them either in AAA or as swing-men in the bullpen.
    That’s how I see it. I don’t hate it. Still too thin for my taste, it will require a lot of health to be an asset.

I think Dunn needs to be tried in short stints. And Overton is your classic swingman. Stoudt and Williamson are really solid option in AAA that really need another 10 starts each before being called up.

They still need another lefty for the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Nope.

Luke "Dream" Weaver.
    Concur but with the option to occasionally go with Luke "I am your father" Weaver or Luke "worst twins ever" Weaver

I hope Weaver can stay healthy.
    Last edited by klw; 01-13-2023 at 10:07 PM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Whatever he is, just find us 170 innings, young man
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

19. Likes:

mth123 (01-13-2023)

I try not to be a naysayer for the sake of saying nay… but this guy is EXTREMELY hittable. I’m not sure what role the Reds have in mind for him - I hope it’s middle relief. If the plan is to make him a SP, I just don’t see it. I mean, I guess he might be better than Brandon Williamson and Justin Dunn… maybe. I don’t think I can say anything about this guy that I couldn’t have said about Mike Minor 11 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    I try not to be a naysayer for the sake of saying nay… but this guy is EXTREMELY hittable. I’m not sure what role the Reds have in mind for him - I hope it’s middle relief. If the plan is to make him a SP, I just don’t see it. I mean, I guess he might be better than Brandon Williamson and Justin Dunn… maybe. I don’t think I can say anything about this guy that I couldn’t have said about Mike Minor 11 months ago.
    Mike Minor went for a 6.06 ERA in nearly 100 innings last season.

Weaver's Steamer projection for 2023 is nearly 100 innings of 4.29 ERA baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    2019 Weaver please
    Not the 2020 Weaver. In a 60 game schedule, he led the league with 9 losses.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?