Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Luke Weaver

Re: Reds Sign Luke Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I wasn't sure which thread to place this question, but the Luke Weaver thread seemed appropriate for the serious fan, the punch-drunk fan and the fans who just don't care anymore...

Does anyone see any innings limitations for any of our Starting Pitchers? Who has and who doesn't have innings limitations?

I ask only because the state of the Mariners' staff caused me to think about it. They have two former 1st Round Starting Pitchers like the REDS, who are their #3 and #4 Starters in Kirby and Gilbert. (Ace Castillo is #1 for the next 5 years and Robbie Ray is #2 for the next 5 years). These two former 1st Rounders had innings limitations last season like Greene and Lodolo. Both Gilbert and Kirby have now reached the point where they no longer have any innings limitations.

I think Greene and Lodolo will be this season where Gilbert and Kirby were last season (which shows that the REDS should have been buyers this season adding a Starting Pitcher better than both Greene and Lodolo, but I'm not going to rehash that again, though I know the punch-drunk fans can take another beating). I don't think either has reached the point where an innings limit can be removed completely.

There's no plan in Cincinnati towards winning, now or in the future, or they wouldn't be wasting the early years of good pitching of Greene and Lodolo. But, as a punch-drunk fan, I can pretend to feign interest and try to look for something positive.
    I would expect all the young arms to have innings limits still though higher than last years. The top three (Ashcraft, Greene and Lodolo) all had limits last year and the DL stints late largely reflected that. I think they are probably each close to having no practical limit but they could still face shutdown late. Dunn has not thrown many innings the past few so I expect he would have a top number. Cessa would likely have some top number due to not having been a full time starter before but it could be that they would be less concerned if they did not see him as a long term guy. Overton likely has a practical limit with coming off the reduced number last year. The prospects like have not reached yet like Williamson or Stout would have a protecting limit. Guys like Lively and Weaver would most likely be seen as burnable or unlimited.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-03-2023),mth123 (02-02-2023),Revering4Blue (02-27-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Weaver adding pitches in hopes of starting role
    Shortly after his first start wearing a Reds uniform on Sunday vs. the Giants, Luke Weaver was still trying to catch his breath from working so quickly. This despite pitching only the first inning during Cincinnati's 7-6 loss.

While throwing 13 pitches, Weaver retired the side in order with one strikeout and enjoyed feeling the adrenaline.

“It was quick enough where I had to focus to get a deep breath," Weaver said. "It was good. I like to work fast. I like to keep the thought process minimal. When things are clicking, you just fire and trust it. That works well for me. This pitch clock is an advantage in my sense of pitching. I’m ready to go, they’re stepping in and I’m ready to fire. It kind of bodes well together.”

Weaver already has seven Major League seasons on his resume despite being only 29. He debuted as a 22-year-old highly touted prospect for the Cardinals in 2016. Although he had several sterling moments -- including back-to-back 10-strikeout games and seven straight starts with two or fewer runs allowed -- as a rookie in 2017, the right-hander's career didn't take off as hoped.

"He got to the big leagues so young that he’s got a lot of experience and is still young," Reds manager David Bell said. "He’s been on good teams. He’s been around really good pitchers. He’s had success. He’s experienced a lot at an early age. He has the stuff to do it. He has plenty of arm and the pitches to get it done. He did it as a reliever but we know he can do it as a starter."

Weaver has been primarily a two-pitch pitcher since 2021 while focusing on his four-seam fastball and his best pitch, the changeup. That is about to change.

This spring during side bullpen sessions and live batting practices, Weaver has been focused on bringing back his curveball more often. He is also tinkering with his cutter and hasn't ruled out eventually reintroducing it into games as well.

"Curveball is something that I’m trying to implement more, especially early in counts, and just bring the percentage of it higher," Weaver said. "It looks like I threw some good ones. It’s really, really close. I feel like the break is there. It’s just consistent about where I’m throwing it in the zone, finding the feel from that and getting good feedback from the guys behind the plate.”

On Jan. 13, Cincinnati signed Weaver to a one-year, $2 million contract and gave him the opportunity to compete for one of the two open spots in the rotation. Connor Overton, Luis Cessa, Brandon Williamson and Levi Stoudt are also in the mix.
    story here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/luke-w...-rotation-spot
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-27-2023 at 04:17 AM.

In his second spring start, rotation candidate Luke Weaver didn't fare as well as in his strong first outing. Against Chicago, Weaver gave up five earned runs and six hits with no walks and three strikeouts. He allowed one hit in a scoreless first inning before a big rally in the second that featured a three-run homer to left field by Andrew Vaughn on a 1-2 changeup.

"Working on some things. I did a bad job working on them," Weaver said. "It’s easy to look at the box score and get upset about it. Me and [pitching coach Derek Johnson] had a good talk. Going into the second inning, we were trying to land some curveballs. Obviously, we just kept missing with that. In a regular-season game I might do things differently because the name of the game is to get them out. But it still stinks. You want to do well."

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/christ...ith-loud-power

6. Likes:

JFLegal (03-04-2023)

that's the right attitude. like what i'm hearing from weaver thus far. feel like he can be a solid #4 or 5 starter.

O/U on Weaver's ERA at GABP this year?

I'll go at least 6.00

If he's still on the roster come July I'll be surprised.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-14-2023)

Luke Weaver pitched very well today (four REDS' pitchers did not). Gives the team a lot of hope.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Luke Weaver pitched very well today (four REDS' pitchers did not). Gives the team a lot of hope.
    2 ER in 3 IP is not "very well"

Weaver (his HR/9 is probably going to be north of 1.5 in the rotation), Overton, Stoudt, Dunn, Williamson in the 4/5 are gong to be atrocious.

If Lodolo/Greene get injured their fill-in is also likely to be atrocious.

Long season ahead.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-14-2023),CesarGeronimo (03-14-2023),mth123 (03-09-2023),Revering4Blue (03-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

Weaver (his HR/9 is probably going to be north of 1.5 in the rotation), Overton, Stoudt, Dunn, Williamson in the 4/5 are gong to be atrocious.

Long season ahead.
    Weaver pitched very well. Giving up a 2-run HR in three innings was not inidicative of how well he pitched. He had a quick 1st Inning. After we got the lead, he held it, while closing the 3rd Inning with 2 K's. Giving up the 2-run HR only inspired him to finish the inning with nothing but outs.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I hope every HR he puts up this year "inspires" him to finish strong.

LMAO

I hope every HR he puts up this year "inspires" him to finish strong.

LMAO
    It would be the opposite of what REDS' fans are used to when a Pitcher gives up a HR.

What's your prediction for him this year? We'll come back and revisit in a few months to see who is closest.

What's your prediction for him this year? We'll come back and revisit in a few months to see who is closest.
    My early prediction was that we would lose 80% of his Starts. After his last two outings, I'm adjusting that to 60%.

We should have outbid the Marlins for the Dominican Dynamo.

Meh. He had two Pads with 0-2 counts before getting too much of the plate with a breaking pitch. Dixon hit a grounder up the middle and Rivas hit one out.

That stuff happens.

His stuff looks fairly lively-- I like the offspeed pitch he's got, and his fastball has some gettyupandgo on it.

He's not going to be anything more than a 4.50-5.00 ERA guy, most likely, but that has real value if he can stay in the rotation all season and log innings.

19. Likes:

757690 (03-09-2023),Kingspoint (03-09-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Meh. He had two Pads with 0-2 counts before getting too much of the plate with a breaking pitch. Dixon hit a grounder up the middle and Rivas hit one out.

That stuff happens.

His stuff looks fairly lively-- I like the offspeed pitch he's got, and his fastball has some gettyupandgo on it.

He's not going to be anything more than a 4.50-5.00 ERA guy, most likely, but that has real value if he can stay in the rotation all season and log innings.
    I see him pitching in that area 4.50 era (3 runs in 6ip) which is valuable. 3 runs (5.40 era) will keep us in games which is what I would like to see from 4-5. He will be better than that low bar (remember our 4-5 guys era was over 7 last year)

4.79 era for his career projected 4.86

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-09-2023)

Long season ahead.
    I didn’t see Weaver pitch, I was working when he was pitching. But I can guarantee that the Reds are not judging his performance on “2 ER in 3 IP.” Teams don’t care about ERA or other simple stats in spring training, they look much deeper, into things like his command, how he was using certain pitches, hitters reactions to certain pitches, etc..

Also, most teams ignore pitchers early performances, since they are still working on building up strength, fine tuning mechanics. Most meaningful evaluations happen in the final two weeks of spring training, and even then, they aren’t looking at stats like ERA.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-09-2023)

Turn Off Ads?