Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB Looking To Fix Blackout Issue

Re: MLB Looking To Fix Blackout Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Daily Fantasy Sports will prop them up a long time. That's the latest "trend". By the time baseball realizes it's in trouble it will be too late.
    Exactly.

No one decides they are into baseball suddenly as an adult. It's a kid's game that follows us into adulthood.

MLB owners and executives have decided that short term profit is top priority, with everything else a distant 2nd.

So, this generation growing up now... if they aren't into gambling, fantasy sports, or if they don't live in a one of the 15 cities or so that actually has a team trying to win, then they aren't baseball fans. And their kids won't be either.

It's like chopping down all your new saplings for firewood, so you don't have to bother walking into the woods to get it. It's greedy, and selfish, but I can't call it short-sighted, because the team owners and execs are well aware of the long-term price for what they are doing.

They just don't care.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

Sassy Sal (01-29-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...na=top_stories

Diamond Sports Group is heading toward a $8.6B "debt restructuring in bankruptcy court" as it “stakes its future on a new direct-to-consumer streaming service,” according to Smith, Hudson, & Butt of BLOOMBERG NEWS. The restructuring plan “favored by many creditors and the company itself” would see the “largest lenders becoming owners, turning much of its debt into equity through a pre-arranged Chapter 11 process.” Diamond, the largest owner of local sports channels in the U.S. is “suffering from a decline in cable-TV subscribers, spurring negotiations with creditors and major sports leagues about its viability as a going concern.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Exactly.

No one decides they are into baseball suddenly as an adult. It's a kid's game that follows us into adulthood.

MLB owners and executives have decided that short term profit is top priority, with everything else a distant 2nd.

So, this generation growing up now... if they aren't into gambling, fantasy sports, or if they don't live in a one of the 15 cities or so that actually has a team trying to win, then they aren't baseball fans. And their kids won't be either.

It's like chopping down all your new saplings for firewood, so you don't have to bother walking into the woods to get it. It's greedy, and selfish, but I can't call it short-sighted, because the team owners and execs are well aware of the long-term price for what they are doing.

They just don't care.
    It’s sad. Back when I was a kid (60’s), I thought baseball was the coolest and most interesting game ever. Going to games was the most exciting thing in my life. And as I grew up through adulthood (70’s-90’s), baseball still captured my sports passion and sports intellect. A great era for players and talent and great competition. And my passion remained. I always told my wife and kids when asked what I wanted for Christmas was “take me to a Reds game. Buy me tickets, drive me down there, sit with me in the stands, buy me a beer, and watch the game with me”. My wife liked to go and watch people and drink beer so I can usually get her to go to 2-4 games a year. But my kids don’t go.

But those days are waning. For #1, I’m getting older and crankier. But #2, Reds games just aren’t as much fun or interesting any more. The team rarely is any good and that has evolved into a chronic issue since the mid-90’s. And the game itself has lost a lot of its nuance and diversity of play. And it takes too damn long to play a game. I’ll still go to games and follow the Reds, but mostly out of habit (been a Reds fan since 1964) and I don’t know what else I’d do for a summertime sports fix.

Just shaking my fist at the sky….
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

919191 (01-27-2023),Bob Sheed (01-26-2023),cumberlandreds (01-27-2023),Ron Madden (01-26-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The future of MLB TV blackouts: Is an all-30 team streaming service possible?

“Here’s a scary number for you,” commissioner Rob Manfred told the room in late March. “St. Louis … great baseball market. You know what percentage of homes in St. Louis have access to baseball right now? Anybody want to guess?”

One of the attendees at a luncheon hosted by the Paley Media Council in New York took a stab: 98 percent?

“Yeah, 15’s the answer,” Manfred said. “Fifteen. It’s because of cord cutting and the fact that operators like Diamond have not even gotten full distribution within the traditional cable bundle.”
    But as Manfred pointed out, the issues go beyond bankruptcy. Even in the absence of Chapter 11 proceedings, it’s not ideal when a team like the Cardinals isn’t distributed widely across a team’s territory.

“The problem is we granted exclusivity in places where the cable distributors never actually distributed the product,” Manfred said. “Those people are just out of luck right now.”
    So long as it is priced affordably, an all-30 subscription service for both in-market and out-of-market games is a tantalizing idea. Ideally, the offering would be flexible, with single-game, month-to-month, or yearly options available, for example. But even if fans’ only choice were a longer and therefore more expensive commitment, it’d still be an improvement.

Whether MLB will actually get there is a question no one can answer right now, but there are two major hang-ups.

Legally, MLB is years away from being able to have any shot of making such a service happen. That’s because of the existing contracts teams have with RSNs, and the contracts that RSNs have with distributors. The exclusivity built into those deals is the first major hurdle.

An RSN pays a team for the right to broadcast games. A distributor, like Time Warner Cable or Spectrum, then pays the RSN for the right to distribute the RSN on its service. The business model is predicated on the idea that if you want to watch your team’s games in-market, then you have to sign up for the distributor’s service.

And because distributors pay a lot of money for those rights from the RSN, the RSN has historically been limited in its ability to sell its games direct-to-consumer. (There are exceptions: the Red Sox offer a monthly in-market subscription through NESN, for example, and the Yankees plan to launch one soon through the YES Network.)

But going forward, as those contracts expire, MLB and the teams have the opportunity to loosen the language to allow for streaming options.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-14-2023),Ron Madden (04-14-2023),wlf WV (04-14-2023)

Turn Off Ads?