Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Cincinnati Bengals Part V: Survive and Advance

Re: 2022 Cincinnati Bengals Part V: Survive and Advance

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    This is so ridiculous and obnoxious. He had weaknesses as a coach, like a propensity for burning his timeouts and allowed immature players to get away with too much, but he brought NFL quality play back to a laughingstock franchise. He is far from an "idiot" and deserves alot of credit for being a bridge to the current state of the franchise. The Bengals have a history of some true incompetents, Marvin is one of the best (not best incompetents, btw.)
    Marvin had two “what might have been” moments. And both of those were against the Steelers.

Had Palmer and Dalton not went down I think we all remember Marvin differently. I honestly thought he needed to go after the “Meltdown at Paul Brown” but Mike Brown backing him ultimately led to where we are now.

Vontaze Burfict was a dirty player at a time when the NFL was (and still is) full of hypocrisy. To quote Bob Sheed, when the Steelers or Ravens injured a Bengals player it was good old fashioned lunch pail blue collar football but when Burfict did it it was dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

traderumor (01-16-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Marvin had two “what might have been” moments. And both of those were against the Steelers.

Had Palmer and Dalton not went down I think we all remember Marvin differently. I honestly thought he needed to go after the “Meltdown at Paul Brown” but Mike Brown backing him ultimately led to where we are now.

Vontaze Burfict was a dirty player at a time when the NFL was (and still is) full of hypocrisy. To quote Bob Sheed, when the Steelers or Ravens injured a Bengals player it was good old fashioned lunch pail blue collar football but when Burfict did it it was dirty.
    I really enjoyed having Burfict and Jones on the Bengals defense. It's the only defense they ever had that actually scared the Steelers. That was fun, at the time.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-16-2023),traderumor (01-16-2023)

Highest graded Bengals in Wild Card win vs Ravens:

Joe Burrow - 84.2
    Logan Wilson - 82.1
    Cameron Sample - 76.5
    Ja’Marr Chase - 71.2
    Tee Higgins - 69.4
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post

Joe Burrow - 84.2
    Logan Wilson - 82.1
    Cameron Sample - 76.5
    Ja’Marr Chase - 71.2
    Tee Higgins - 69.4
    Sample was awesome last night. He was a huge key to slowing down the run a bit in the second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Sample was awesome last night. He was a huge key to slowing down the run a bit in the second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed I thought he and Carter both had good games...nice adjustment by Lou to have Sample out on the edge.

Agreed I thought he and Carter both had good games...nice adjustment by Lou to have Sample out on the edge.
    Makes me wonder if other teams will run left at Hendrickson like the Ravens did. Bengals were hemorrhaging run yards in that direction early.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Makes me wonder if other teams will run left at Hendrickson like the Ravens did. Bengals were hemorrhaging run yards in that direction early.
    Most teams do not have the kind of running game to do that like the Ravens do. Ravens use Ricard as a fullback. Just not a thing you see from KC or Buffalo.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Most teams do not have the kind of running game to do that like the Ravens do. Ravens use Ricard as a fullback. Just not a thing you see from KC or Buffalo.
    I’d be more worried about them exploiting whoever Eli Apple is covering than running at Hendrickson.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    That has been the book on Hendrickson throughout his career poor run defender...he had been better this year before the wrist, the injury has really hampered him in that dept.

They definitely need to shore up the run D as the Bills did have success on them in the small time they played before Hamlin got hurt.

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-16-2023)

I didn't realize why Mixon was so upset after Peters tackled him...

Good camera angle going around that shows Peters punching Mixon...drew a flag but not an ejection.

Joe Burrow - 84.2
    Logan Wilson - 82.1
    Cameron Sample - 76.5
    Ja’Marr Chase - 71.2
    Tee Higgins - 69.4
    Bates was pretty good, including a game-saving tackle that set up the go-ahead TD. Bates has proven this season that he deserves to be paid as a Top-5 Safety. I don't know how we could afford it without letting Higgins walk, though that would be stupid as you can't just let an asset like that walk without getting anything in return. We'll pay Higgins and try to franchise-tag Bates once more, I imagine.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize why Mixon was so upset after Peters tackled him...

Good camera angle going around that shows Peters punching Mixon...drew a flag but not an ejection.
    The game announcer caught it and mentioned it during the replay.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Ravens also have five O-Linemen who all rank very high in PFF rankings at their position. All five rank much higher than our best O-Lineman ranks (which isn't saying much).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

This is so ridiculous and obnoxious. He had weaknesses as a coach, like a propensity for burning his timeouts and allowed immature players to get away with too much, but he brought NFL quality play back to a laughingstock franchise. He is far from an "idiot" and deserves alot of credit for being a bridge to the current state of the franchise. The Bengals have a history of some true incompetents, Marvin is one of the best (not best incompetents, btw.)
    That was not a ridiculous statement or obnxious. You are blinded by the fact that you were too close to the situation, and you fell for Marvin's personality and actually found some way of finding him likeable. Lewis was despicable, and was always way over his head. He was never, ever a mediocre Head Coach. The only reason the Bengals won some games was because of Carson Palmer, Housh and Chad Johnson, A. J. Green and the 24-year old ready Rookie Andy Dalton, and then the arrival of Mike Zimmer who put life into a lifeless team. Zimmer single-handedly gave the Bengals a chance to win games by actually developing a Defense out of non-1st Round players.

Give Marvin any time at all to use that brainless head of his...a Halftime, a Bye-week, an Off-season, and he would every time have his team unprepared for what was to come. He's the anti-Anarumo. Anyone who thinks Marvin Lewis was even a below-average or better Head Coach is either clueless when it comes to measuring that, or just too close to the situation to see reality.

Never mind Lewis' on-field Coaching guffaws. Never seen a HC whose rear-end got tighter as he game progressed, especially if he ever got a lead. He conned Mike Brown into listening to him about Draft Picks and had way too much influence on some horrible draft day decisions. We can thank Marvin Lewis for being so horrible that Zach Taylor took over his mess that led to us getting the opportunity to draft Burrow.

Marvin Lewis did one thing and only one thing well...kind of like Cincinnati Sportswriters for ever and ever....he knew very well how to suck up to Ownership, how to suck up to Mike Brown. You sound like a Cincinnati Sportswriter. "Thank you, Sir! May I have another?!"
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-17-2023 at 01:46 AM.

Mike Zimmer was the bridge as far as changing the organization from hapless to respectable, while Mike Brown was making small improvements every year for about a dozen years before he gave way to the kids. Lewis kept the franchise from moving forward. He was a yoke around it's neck, not a bridge. Lewis was the worst thing to happen to the franchise in the last 40 years. He conned you into accepting his horrible coaching as a positive. You were too used to horrible records from the past, that you let the .500 records (nothing but 8-8 or 7-9 until Zimmer arrived to change things) as Carson, Chad, Housh and Rudi could only do so much. Lewis completely wasted the career of Carson Palmer, another person Bengals fans close to the situation wrongly analyzed, thanks to the incompetency of Marvin Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That was not a ridiculous statement or obnxious. You are blinded by the fact that you were too close to the situation, and you fell for Marvin's personality and actually found some way of finding him likeable. Lewis was despicable, and was always way over his head. He was never, ever a mediocre Head Coach. The only reason the Bengals won some games was because of Carson Palmer, Housh and Chad Johnson, A. J. Green and the 24-year old ready Rookie Andy Dalton, and then the arrival of Mike Zimmer who put life into a lifeless team. Zimmer single-handedly gave the Bengals a chance to win games by actually developing a Defense out of non-1st Round players.

Give Marvin any time at all to use that brainless head of his...a Halftime, a Bye-week, an Off-season, and he would every time have his team unprepared for what was to come. He's the anti-Anarumo. Anyone who thinks Marvin Lewis was even a below-average or better Head Coach is either clueless when it comes to measuring that, or just too close to the situation to see reality.

Never mind Lewis' on-field Coaching guffaws. Never seen a HC whose rear-end got tighter as he game progressed, especially if he ever got a lead. He conned Mike Brown into listening to him about Draft Picks and had way too much influence on some horrible draft day decisions. We can thank Marvin Lewis for being so horrible that Zach Taylor took over his mess that led to us getting the opportunity to draft Burrow.

Marvin Lewis did one thing and only one thing well...kind of like Cincinnati Sportswriters for ever and ever....he knew very well how to suck up to Ownership, how to suck up to Mike Brown. You sound like a Cincinnati Sportswriter. "Thank you, Sir! May I have another?!"
    You’re giving way too much credit to Zimmer. The Bengals made the playoffs with Chuck Bresnahan as defensive coordinator as well as Paul Guenther.

Marvin had some misses (although Tobin has more to do with it than anybody), but do you remember how bad our drafting was before Marvin? Sewer Brewer the pack a day smoker?

21. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-17-2023),RiverRat13 (01-17-2023)

Turn Off Ads?