Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Has the NFL Tried to "Influence" Game Outcomes?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I Definitely Think Games Have Been Influenced

13 32.50%
  • No, I Definitely Don't Think Games Have Been Influenced

12 30.00%
  • Unsure, But I Think Probably More Likely Than Not

9 22.50%
  • Unsure, But I Think Probably Not

6 15.00%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Fully Trust NFL Outcomes ?

Re: Do You Fully Trust NFL Outcomes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This actually is all tangential to why I mostly don't watch the Reds anymore, outside of Opening Day and checking box scores. Knowing they aren't trying and aren't likely to try anytime soon feels similar to how I imagine it would feel if I thought things were fixed.
    Yep, same here. The Reds might be a bad example.

I see what you're saying though, and I agree. If I thought the NFL was like pro wrestling, I wouldn't watch. I don't think it's scripted.

I do think that there are people in positions of influence that alter the integrity of the game from time to time.

One example I used was a WR dropping the first pass thrown to him on purpose, and then 2 days later he has 3 million magically deposited in an offshore account.

I have little doubt that stuff like that happens.

I also think the NFL steers things toward narratives. That's a good thing for the Bengals these days, except for this Sunday.

Too much money is involved for it to be 100 % authentic.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

moewan (01-19-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Fair enough, but I don't know why you'd watch sports if you believe these kinds of things. Can't be enjoyable.

Honestly, I think this is the kind of thing a lot of people say they believe, but don't really, because they continue to watch. If I thought sports weren't mostly on the level I'd drop watching and never look back.

This was the question I was going to ask next. If you has strong feelings that things weren't completely on the level, would it kill your interest in watching?
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Yep, same here. The Reds might be a bad example.

I see what you're saying though, and I agree. If I thought the NFL was like pro wrestling, I wouldn't watch. I don't think it's scripted.

I do think that there are people in positions of influence that alter the integrity of the game from time to time.

One example I used was a WR dropping the first pass thrown to him on purpose, and then 2 days later he has 3 million magically deposited in an offshore account.

I have little doubt that stuff like that happens.

I also think the NFL steers things toward narratives. That's a good thing for the Bengals these days, except for this Sunday.

Too much money is involved for it to be 100 % authentic.

Yep. The league wants it's storylines. It knows the public loves a good soap opera. . "Guiding Light" began on radio in 1937 and continued on CBS television in 1952 until 2009.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

6. Likes:

Chip R (01-19-2023)

Anyone surprised that Cheffers & crew are calling the game? The Bills have won 8 in a row and are 15 of 18 overall when Chef does Bills' games. Oh, and I know what you're thinking. Here's the answer. Bengals are 4-10-2 with Cheffers crew. Goodell is already massively erect thinking about that game in Atlanta.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Anyone surprised that Cheffers & crew are calling the game? The Bills have won 8 in a row and are 15 of 18 overall when Chef does Bills' games. Oh, and I know what you're thinking. Here's the answer. Bengals are 4-10-2 with Cheffers crew. Goodell is already massively erect thinking about that game in Atlanta.
    In the past this would concern me (and it still does).

But as long as we have Burrow we will always have a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to have scripted outcomes in sports. Pro wrestling can do it because it's a one on one situation and cooperation is easier that way. The closest it's ever come to that was the Black Sox in 1919. Even then one of the eight didn't play, Weaver supposedly played it straight, Jackson - depending on who you believe - also played it straight. The ones that did throw the Series didn't do it every play. The pitchers didn't throw meatballs every pitch. And, most importantly, the Reds didn't cooperate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

redhawkfish (01-21-2023)

China has an incredible influence on the NBA right now because of the financial monies they give directly and indirectly to the NBA. There are many online betting sites that originate in China...just sayin'.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Influencing outcomes has more to do with an official "not" making a call than it does making a call. He can't be blamed for missing something, as opposed to calling something that never happened. Any team knows when they are getting the benefit of the doubt from an official and will be more aggressive accordingly (same reason Stars in the NBA can be more aggressive, making themselves look better than they are, because they aren't going to be called for traveling and fouling on Defense,...they can even get away with flagrant fouls where either nothing is called or a regular fould gets called, even after review, which means nothing).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

13. Likes:

Chip R (01-20-2023),Redsfaithful (01-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Influencing outcomes has more to do with an official "not" making a call than it does making a call. He can't be blamed for missing something, as opposed to calling something that never happened. Any team knows when they are getting the benefit of the doubt from an official and will be more aggressive accordingly (same reason Stars in the NBA can be more aggressive, making themselves look better than they are, because they aren't going to be called for traveling and fouling on Defense,...they can even get away with flagrant fouls where either nothing is called or a regular fould gets called, even after review, which means nothing).
    I'm more sympathetic to this for sure, and for the conspiracy theorists out there Bengals receivers were getting pretty beat up vs. the Ravens with no calls. Goodberry and Liscow both noted it on Twitter during the game if I remember right.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Good point, Kpoint.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Whos talking to those refs in those headsets they wear? Think about it, games are influenced.

17. Likes:

traderumor (01-30-2023)

I've said for the past 30 years that the games are not totally on the up and up, not with the players and the teams, but with the league and the refs. The NFL wants specific matchups, for ratings and money, and they are not above using the officiating to put a finger on the scale. The Bengals will be playing two teams this weekend, the Bills, and the officiating crew.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Whos talking to those refs in those headsets they wear? Think about it, games are influenced.

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-22-2023),Redsfaithful (01-22-2023),Revering4Blue (01-21-2023)

Five extra points missed in six quarters of the playoffs?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Well if you ask Jamarr Chase the thread title question, seems like his answer is “no” lol:

https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/statu...KNgFtF_FkguVXw

Ja'Marr Chase: "We were proving people wrong. The NFL was doing stuff to get the Bills to go to the Super Bowl. They’re trying to make it seem like we’re not ready. We’re here to prove it.”

Turn Off Ads?