Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Phil Castellini is perfect for the Job

Re: Why Phil Castellini is perfect for the Job

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not for nothing but has anyone seen Bob in public lately? Was he at Opening Day, Reds Fest, etc? The Bob who wrote that press release when he first bought the team doesn't sound like the stuff Phil has been spouting.
    Last I remember is two opening days ago and remember thinking he didn't look to be in great health, but the guy is over 80 so it's not to be always expected either. I remember hearing him on the radio a couple times since then, including his appearance on wlw last year talking about why fans should still be excited about going to the ball park and seeing the Reds play.

While in a constant state of disappointment, I always liked Bob and found a way to root for the Reds pretty easily when it was clear he was calling the shots. At least Bob tried, and if anything I always thought his issue was hanging on too long which I know is a bad idea, but I can respect as a fan.

Over the last two years who knows if this is more a Bob issue, Phil issue, or other owners issue, but it certainly has a different tune that feels a lot more grim.

2. Likes:

757690 (01-18-2023),CaiGuy (01-19-2023),Chip R (01-18-2023),REDREAD (01-19-2023),Ron Madden (01-18-2023),Roy Tucker (01-20-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Phil is the restaurant customer that puts five $1 bills on the table when he sits down and takes one away every time the waitress makes a mistake.

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-18-2023),REDREAD (01-19-2023),Wayne Krivsky (01-18-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    Last I remember is two opening days ago and remember thinking he didn't look to be in great health, but the guy is over 80 so it's not to be always expected either. I remember hearing him on the radio a couple times since then, including his appearance on wlw last year talking about why fans should still be excited about going to the ball park and seeing the Reds play.

While in a constant state of disappointment, I always liked Bob and found a way to root for the Reds pretty easily when it was clear he was calling the shots. At least Bob tried, and if anything I always thought his issue was hanging on too long which I know is a bad idea, but I can respect as a fan.

Over the last two years who knows if this is more a Bob issue, Phil issue, or other owners issue, but it certainly has a different tune that feels a lot more grim.
    I could be wrong but I think Bob went into this with the best of intentions. But after a few years he found out that it wasn't like he thought it would be. Which would be surprising to me since before he bought the Reds, he was a minority owner of the Cardinals. But maybe minority owners don't know the nuts and bolts on how a team operates. Phil sounds like one of those owners who is just in it to make money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-18-2023),Roy Tucker (01-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Phil Castellini is the guy who comes from generational wealth and tells you he's a self-made man
    A self made man, unselfishly running a "non-profit" LMAO
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

There should be some kind of legitimate vetting process to purchase a MLB team.

Something that weeds out grifters just looking to drain the fan experience for increased profitability.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

10. Likes:

REDREAD (01-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    There should be some kind of legitimate vetting process to purchase a MLB team.

Something that weeds out grifters just looking to drain the fan experience for increased profitability.
    I'm pretty sure there is. ARod and JLo wanted to buy the Mets but they were denied. Draining the fan experience for increased profitability describes most of the MLB teams.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-19-2023)

He certainly isn't anything like the Brown kids.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?