3 5.77%

2 3.85%

0 0%
  • 2030 (or later)

15 28.85%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Playoff Appearance

Next Playoff Appearance

Simple poll, when do you predict the Reds next playoff appearance will be?

Poll incoming

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Next Playoff Appearance

In a year that has an even number in it

I voted 2030 or later. Greene and Lodolo are the play-off hope. I don't see this team having enough good players and pitchers at the same time before they price themselves out of town. They'll perennially be ranked near the top of farm system rankings, but will never have enough good major leaguers at the same time as they continually churn guys for prospects 3 years away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

LeatherPants (01-21-2023),REDREAD (01-23-2023),Todd Gack (06-07-2023)

7. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-23-2023)

I think if there was a choice for “after we are all dead,’ it would win this poll
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

9. Likes:

REDREAD (01-23-2023),Redsfan6272 (01-21-2023)

I voted 2025

EDLC, Marte, McLain, Williamson, Phillips, Siani, CES, Abbott will have graduated to the big leagues. Stephenson and India will be in their 2nd arb year with Greene, Lodolo and Diaz in their first. Hopefully they will add, at least, 1 long term core piece with the Votto/Moose savings. I think that team could get into a 12 team playoff field.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-22-2023),RedsManRick (01-23-2023)

The problem with this poll, is the variable is years.

There should be two variables.

1. Does present ownership still own the team?
    2. Are they still milking the franchise by being cheapasses?

If both those answers are "yes," then the year doesn't matter. There will be no playoff appearances.

If either answer is ever "no," then at least a "maybe playoff appearances" could be entertained.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

marcshoe (01-22-2023)

They call me "chef"

I am guessing they expand the playoffs to be every team except 2 in 2026 and the Reds reach the playoffs by 2028. Optimistic but I feel like it can happen that quickly.

15. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-23-2023)

EDLC, Williamson, Siani, Stoudt, Christian Encarnacion-Strand, and Matt McLain are likely to stick in the majors sometime this season.

Noelvi Marte, Joe Boyle, Andrew Abbott, Connor Phillips, Daniel Vellojin or Mat Nelson, Rece Hinds, Austin Hendrick, Allan Cerda, and Christian Roa come in 2024.

That'd give them the following without any acquisitions:

C Stephenson/ Vellojin/ Mat Nelson
    1B Christian Encarnacion-Strand
    2B Jonathan India/ Matt McLain
    SS Jose Barrero/ EDLC
    3B Spencer Steer/ Noelvi Marte
    LF Jake Fraley/ Austin Hendrick
    CF Mike Siani/ TJ Friedl/ Stuart Fairchild
    RF Rece Hinds/ Allan Cerda
    SP Hunter Greene
    SP Nick Lodolo
    SP Graham Ashcraft
    P Jake Weaver
    P Connor Phillips
    P Connor Overton
    P Joe Boyle
    P Brandon Williamson
    P Levi Stoudt
    P Christian Roa
    P Andrew Abbott
    RP Tony Santillan
    RP Alexis Diaz
    RP Tejay Antone

How you feel about that group of players largely colors your perceptions on whether and/or when the Reds will compete for a pennant.

IMO, they're short at least a couple OF or an OF and a DH. Maybe a SP too, depending on what happens with all of the AA and AAA guys they need to sort through.

Thing is, they could absolutely bolster their roster with a couple massive overpays for difference-making free agents. They could also sign a perennial All-Star starting pitcher and still be well below a $150M payroll. The question is whether they'll choose to do so. And I don't think they will. Red ownership has chosen to be penurious cheapstakes at the cost of competing for pennants. Until they spend real cash, that's what we should probably believe.

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-23-2023)

The fact that half of the poll takers thus far predict a playoff run within the next 3 years shows that RZone is still extremely optimistic about this ballclub, no matter what Phil C. says to convince you otherwise.

19. Likes:

mth123 (01-22-2023),REDREAD (01-23-2023),Revering4Blue (01-22-2023)

I voted for 2023 because it would be possible if the owners wanted it, and I'm not giving them the slightest hint of an out.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

21. Likes:

757690 (01-23-2023),Kingspoint (06-08-2023),Revering4Blue (01-22-2023)

Admit it, you were all thinking of this.
    Last edited by klw; 01-23-2023 at 11:01 AM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

23. Likes:

joe51391 (01-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The fact that half of the poll takers thus far predict a playoff run within the next 3 years shows that RZone is still extremely optimistic about this ballclub, no matter what Phil C. says to convince you otherwise.
    Nah, more of blind squirrel finding a nut scenario IMHO
    What would you say.....ya do here?

It’s easy to be all gloom and doom. I’m as bad about it as the next guy. As I see it…

I think this season will have flashes but still pretty bad. Win total in the 60’s.

2024 they will be better but not good. Start looking good second half. Win total in the mid to high 70’s.

2025 they will actually squeak into the playoffs. After that, my crystal ball is cloudy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm growing more and more pessimistic on 2023, but 2024 seems to have a chance as we have a ton of young talent that could hit the MLB level mid to late this season. Really just depends on if ownership will spend some cash after this year and if this team can actually have a flip of the switch type of success. Typically you need to gradually build up your roster. Hard to go from 60ish wins to 90 wins in a single season

Turn Off Ads?