2 3.85%

0 0%
  • 2030 (or later)

15 28.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Playoff Appearance

Re: Next Playoff Appearance

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    You're not wrong, and this is why I think its 2024 or bust for this Reds group. Either they are willing to spend to actually acquire a few players in FA next offseason, possibly this trade deadline, or else we are in for a worst case scenario. Waiting any longer to make moves pushes towards the end of cheap versions of Lodolo/Greene/India/Stephenson/etc.

The other piece though is even if the Reds are using their top prospects to replace established MLB players it comes back to value and what the Reds will do with the pieces they ship off. If we continue to deal MLB assets for A ball players then yes you are spot on, you simply can't get ahead by constantly churning the roster for guys 3 years away. No reason the Reds can't flip a guy like India for a rotation piece, OF, or high leverage bullpen arm depending on needs when the time comes. Of course with those type of trades you're getting either lesser players with more control or a similar skilled/similar contract at a different position and we still need ownership willing to extend them.
    I just don't see the Reds ever going on a big spending spree again (like they did when they picked up Cast, Moose, etc)
    When you have PhilC telling the Rosie Reds (paraphrased) "yes, we have some good young players coming up, but we won't be able to afford to keep them"..
    When he says that.. why would anyone expect a big spending spree after this season?
    Reds would have to add 2 starting pitchers, at least 3 relievers, and at least 3 position players after this season to compete. It's just not going to happen.
    As we have seen, even BOR pitchers are "too expensive" in FA for the Reds.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

2025 seems like peak likelihood given the current talent pipeline.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

They call me "chef"

I don’t think people are being optimistic about the Reds when they predict the team will make the playoffs in 3 years. I think they are expecting global warming to accelerate and for all east and west coast teams to have their ballparks flooded/burned down and their seasons’ cancelled, leaving the Reds as a top 10 team.

I certainly don’t think anyone is optimistic for the future, but the reason I picked 2024 is because if Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft all flourish and EDLC is a superstar they could be one of those lightning in a bottle like teams. That’s why I said blind squirrel finding a nut scenario. EDLC is the baseball equivalent of buying a stock for $1 and soon after seeing it blow up to $100. His signing bonus was nothing. Nobody had any clue he might be special.

I think it’s more likely they don’t make the postseason in 2024, but I could see it happening. Especially with the expanded postseason.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I think the team could probably compete in 2024 but that management won't pay for the final pieces it would need to do so. They could have competed in 2023 but management wouldn't pay to fill in gaps. This was the true frustration about 22 and 21.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

should had the poll option "When there is a new owner"

I said 2030 because it didn't go out any further. This core will be dismantled between 24-26 and there won't be enough left for the current 19 year old magic beans to strike quick. So another churn of the current guys like Lodolol, Stephenson, etc and that's a huge hole left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

9. Likes:

mth123 (01-26-2023)

For some reason this song goes through my mind every time I see this thread.

Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-24-2023),muddie (01-26-2023),Roy Tucker (01-26-2023),westofyou (01-24-2023)

...when there's Peace in the Middle East.

- - - Updated - - -

...when the REDS are given the respect their franchise is due and is the only team to host a baseball game on Opening Day.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I said 2030 because there is no way to speculate on what ownership will do with payroll. I think they can be very competetive in 2024 but it would require signing a few high dollar free agents and I dont see this ownership doing that. if ownership keeps up their cheap ways, they will start unloading arbitration players begining in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I said 2030 because it didn't go out any further. This core will be dismantled between 24-26 and there won't be enough left for the current 19 year old magic beans to strike quick. So another churn of the current guys like Lodolol, Stephenson, etc and that's a huge hole left behind.
    It was 2030+ so you picked the right one.

Bump
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2024 is a given. 2023 has a small chance, but very unlikely
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    2024 is a given. 2023 has a small chance, but very unlikely
    I wouldn't say a given(because of lousy ownership) but if management helps any at all, I think they have a good chance to compete for a playoff spot in 2024.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

18. Likes:

JCM11 (06-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I wouldn't say a given(because of lousy ownership) but if management helps any at all, I think they have a good chance to compete for a playoff spot in 2024.
    I’ve said this before, but I think they’ll have enough talent to win in spite of ownership next year. Their lineup will one of the best in the NL, they’re in a weak division, extra playoff spot, etc. They do need some pitching help, but the youngsters are pretty good overall. And, ownership will spend money this off-season. How much is the question. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t get back to the $100 million/year range which means they can easily add some solid players/pitchers.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

20. Likes:

Wayne Krivsky (06-07-2023)

Turn Off Ads?