Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55

Thread: Oscar nominations are out

  1. #16
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,010

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    My top 5 movies of the year were:

    1. Top Gun: Maverick
    2. Obama, Osama: The Shocking Secret That Barack Obama and Osama Bin Laden Are the Same Person but In Two Disguises
    3. James Woods Instagram Live on 4/22/22
    4. Impeach Hilary: How We Impeach Hillary Today and Stop the Most Dangerous Politician in the World
    5. Obama, Osama 2: Pelosi, AOC - Further Into the Web of Pairs of People Who Are Actually the Same Person in Two Disguises

    Besides those, I mostly watched 70s dramas and thrillers all year. I love that era. Best actors, best directors, zero politics.

  2. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-24-2023),BuckeyeRed27 (01-24-2023),Fil3232 (01-27-2023),NebraskaRed (01-24-2023),WildcatFan (01-24-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    Eight bosses? Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eight, Bob.
    Posts
    2,579

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    I'd say the first 60 seconds of this sums it up succinctly:

    "Life, as one looks at it is, in fact, a celebration of itself."

  5. #18
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    43,044

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Brendan Fraser and Michelle Yeoh win or I riot.
    MLB free agent

  6. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    60

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Why no nomination for the Beavis and Butthead motion picture on Paramount Plus in 2022?

    I mean most enjoyable movie to me made in 2022

  7. Likes:

    NebraskaRed (01-24-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

  8. #20
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    43,044

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    As I said, I am all for that. I just think Wakanda and Spiderman are more deserving than Avitar and Top Gun, by a lot.
    I was pretty meh about Wakanda Forever. And I won't be seeing Avatar or Top Gun, though I feel secure in assuming neither has much business winning an Oscar. Extremely surprised Babylon didn't get a nomination (plan on seeing it this weekend).
    MLB free agent

  9. Likes:

    Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

  10. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I was pretty meh about Wakanda Forever. And I won't be seeing Avatar or Top Gun, though I feel secure in assuming neither has much business winning an Oscar. Extremely surprised Babylon didn't get a nomination (plan on seeing it this weekend).
    I won’t discourage you from seeing it, but once you do you’ll know why it wasn’t nominated.

  11. #22
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    43,044

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I won’t discourage you from seeing it, but once you do you’ll know why it wasn’t nominated.
    The knocks I've heard are it's way over the top and far too long. Though that's also kind of the standard description for "Oscar nominee."
    MLB free agent

  12. #23
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    17,846

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It should get technical nominations, but I just don't see it as a "best picture" in anyway.

    But we know why it and Top Gun were nominated... a desperate attempt to increase viewership.
    Or maybe because they both made billions and are incredibly popular worldwide? I can movie snob with the best of em, but Iíve always felt the Oscarís historically made a mistake ignoring the mega popular movies.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Nobody deserves an Oscar. It doesn't mean anything anymore. Those who win anymore aren't the best for that year. It's nothing but politics now. It's a joke. The entire industry is a complete joke now as it's all turned political.
    I have only seen one of these movies, as I have two little kids and simply donít have time, what is political about these noms? Iím not being snarky, I honestly am curious.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  13. #24
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    29,915

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Or maybe because they both made billions and are incredibly popular worldwide? I can movie snob with the best of em, but I’ve always felt the Oscar’s historically made a mistake ignoring the mega popular movies.
    I’ve said a few times that I agree that the Oscars needs to recognize more blockbusters, but not for the reason the Oscars is currently doing it. They are doing to boost their own ratings.

    I want more Oscar nominations and wins for blockbusters because making a great action movie takes the same amount of talent, skill and effort to make a great drama. Off the top of my head, I would have liked to seen Oscar noms for Bourne Identity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, The Winter Soldier. Those were all better movies than
    Green Book or Nomadland.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

  14. #25
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    29,915

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The knocks I've heard are it's way over the top and far too long. Though that's also kind of the standard description for "Oscar nominee."
    The big surprise and let down for me was "Till." It has everything the Oscars usually loves... historical, about prejudice, legal drama, heart wrenching. It also was exceptionally well made. It should have gotten Best Picture, Director and Actress at the very least.

    The fact that it got zero nominations and Green Book won Best Pictures tells us everything we need to know about the Academy and their voters.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

  15. #26
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    43,044

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Or maybe because they both made billions and are incredibly popular worldwide? I can movie snob with the best of em, but I’ve always felt the Oscar’s historically made a mistake ignoring the mega popular movies.
    Role Models got snubbed.
    MLB free agent

  16. Likes:

    Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

  17. #27
    he/him *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    I admittedly don’t watch as many new movies as I used to, but the best one I saw in 2022 was The Northman. Doesn’t look like it got any nominations.

  18. #28
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,322

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’ve said a few times that I agree that the Oscars needs to recognize more blockbusters, but not for the reason the Oscars is currently doing it. They are doing to boost their own ratings.

    I want more Oscar nominations and wins for blockbusters because making a great action movie takes the same amount of talent, skill and effort to make a great drama. Off the top of my head, I would have liked to seen Oscar noms for Bourne Identity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, The Winter Soldier. Those were all better movies than
    Green Book or Nomadland.
    Haven't seen Avatar (either of them), so I can't comment on that. However, Top Gun: Maverick is a very good action film. It's well-made, again for what it is.

  19. Likes:

    757690 (01-25-2023)

  20. #29
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    17,176

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    If you live by a Regal theater, they are showing all of the Best Picture nominees March 3-12

    Name:  E6453052-A8EE-41A4-9111-0B092DA87847.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  216.5 KB
    Transport me to the orb match.

  21. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-27-2023),cumberlandreds (01-27-2023)

  22. #30
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,951

    Re: Oscar nominations are out

    My overall take - 2022 was a pretty subpar year for film. I donít really recall seeing an original film all of last year that I particularly enjoyed outside of The Batman - which if they were going to nominate a blockbuster, that wouldíve been my pick. But in terms of typical Oscar fare, all I remember seeing last year was Licorice Pizza which I believe was a late 2021 movie. Didnít go to the theater really at all aside from that.

    I did want to see Bones and All since Guadagninoís Suspiria remake was quite good and he did get the best picture nomination for Call Me By Your Name. And this one was filmed in Cincinnati too. But havenít gotten around to it yet.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator