Thread: Oscar nominations are out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Re: Oscar nominations are out

Best picture nominees seem to be a perfect mix of popular crowd-pleasers (Top Gun, Avatar, Elvis) and movies few people saw (Women Talking, Tar)

That is a pretty fun and interesting mix of movies for Best Picture.

Haven’t seen all of them but I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once. That’s my leader in the clubhouse.

4. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2023),NebraskaRed (01-24-2023),RFS62 (01-27-2023),RichRed (01-24-2023)

Nobody deserves an Oscar. It doesn't mean anything anymore. Those who win anymore aren't the best for that year. It's nothing but politics now. It's a joke. The entire industry is a complete joke now as it's all turned political.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-24-2023),Sea Ray (01-24-2023)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Nobody deserves an Oscar. It doesn't mean anything anymore. Those who win anymore aren't the best for that year. It's nothing but politics now. It's a joke. The entire industry is a complete joke now as it's all turned political.
    Weird take
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-08-2023),Kinsm (01-24-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

They call me "chef"

I miss when movies and music and art weren’t political. I’d elaborate on what I mean by that but I don’t want to be banned from another forum.

10. Likes:

dabvu2498 (01-24-2023)

I am all for more popcorn movies getting best picture nominations and just more nominations altogether. But it’s difficult to justify a best picture nomination for Avitar. The script is atrociously terrible.

Wakanda Forever and Spiderman: No Way Home are far more qualified and deserving.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am all for more popcorn movies getting best picture nominations and just more nominations altogether. But it’s difficult to justify a best picture nomination for Avitar. The script is atrociously terrible.

Wakanda Forever and Spiderman: No Way Home are far more qualified and deserving.
    There’s nothing really like it though, so it is an achievement. I don’t think the script/plot is terrible, it just wasn’t unique.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There’s nothing really like it though, so it is an achievement. I don’t think the script/plot is terrible, it just wasn’t unique.
    It should get technical nominations, but I just don't see it as a "best picture" in anyway.

But we know why it and Top Gun were nominated... a desperate attempt to increase viewership.

It should get technical nominations, but I just don't see it as a "best picture" in anyway.

But we know why it and Top Gun were nominated... a desperate attempt to increase viewership.
    Which is ok. They have had lots of blockbuster popcorn type movies recently, particularly since they expanded from 5 to 10. They aren’t gonna win, but it’s good to show there is recognition for more than one type of “good” movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Which is ok. They have had lots of blockbuster popcorn type movies recently, particularly since they expanded from 5 to 10. They aren’t gonna win, but it’s good to show there is recognition for more than one type of “good” movie.
    As I said, I am all for that. I just think Wakanda and Spiderman are more deserving than Avitar and Top Gun, by a lot.

That's definitely why, but that's ok. Ratings for almost all awards shows are in a downward trend, and nothing will stop that. Nominating Avatar or Top Gun could possibly help, if that's even possible.

However, focusing your award shows on movies that 80% of the audience have not seen is a losing game.

I keep thinking about how the 2021 best picture winner was Nomadland. I saw it but I don't know anyone else who did. I also can't remember much about it.

And nobody has talked about that movie since it won.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    That's definitely why, but that's ok. Ratings for almost all awards shows are in a downward trend, and nothing will stop that. Nominating Avatar or Top Gun could possibly help, if that's even possible.

However, focusing your award shows on movies that 80% of the audience have not seen is a losing game.

I keep thinking about how the 2021 best picture winner was Nomadland. I saw it but I don't know anyone else who did. I also can't remember much about it.

And nobody has talked about that movie since it won.
    Because Nomadland was terrible.

18. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2023),RFS62 (01-27-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

Or maybe because they both made billions and are incredibly popular worldwide? I can movie snob with the best of em, but I’ve always felt the Oscar’s historically made a mistake ignoring the mega popular movies.

- - - Updated - - -

I have only seen one of these movies, as I have two little kids and simply don’t have time, what is political about these noms? I’m not being snarky, I honestly am curious.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Or maybe because they both made billions and are incredibly popular worldwide? I can movie snob with the best of em, but I’ve always felt the Oscar’s historically made a mistake ignoring the mega popular movies.
    I’ve said a few times that I agree that the Oscars needs to recognize more blockbusters, but not for the reason the Oscars is currently doing it. They are doing to boost their own ratings.

I want more Oscar nominations and wins for blockbusters because making a great action movie takes the same amount of talent, skill and effort to make a great drama. Off the top of my head, I would have liked to seen Oscar noms for Bourne Identity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, The Winter Soldier. Those were all better movies than
    Green Book or Nomadland.

Turn Off Ads?