Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oscar nominations are out

They call me "chef"

Re: Oscar nominations are out

My top 5 movies of the year were:

1. Top Gun: Maverick
    2. Obama, Osama: The Shocking Secret That Barack Obama and Osama Bin Laden Are the Same Person but In Two Disguises
    3. James Woods Instagram Live on 4/22/22
    4. Impeach Hilary: How We Impeach Hillary Today and Stop the Most Dangerous Politician in the World
    5. Obama, Osama 2: Pelosi, AOC - Further Into the Web of Pairs of People Who Are Actually the Same Person in Two Disguises

Besides those, I mostly watched 70s dramas and thrillers all year. I love that era. Best actors, best directors, zero politics.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-24-2023),BuckeyeRed27 (01-24-2023),Fil3232 (01-27-2023),NebraskaRed (01-24-2023),WildcatFan (01-24-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'd say the first 60 seconds of this sums it up succinctly:

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Brendan Fraser and Michelle Yeoh win or I riot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Why no nomination for the Beavis and Butthead motion picture on Paramount Plus in 2022?

I mean most enjoyable movie to me made in 2022

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (01-24-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    As I said, I am all for that. I just think Wakanda and Spiderman are more deserving than Avitar and Top Gun, by a lot.
    I was pretty meh about Wakanda Forever. And I won't be seeing Avatar or Top Gun, though I feel secure in assuming neither has much business winning an Oscar. Extremely surprised Babylon didn't get a nomination (plan on seeing it this weekend).

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I was pretty meh about Wakanda Forever. And I won't be seeing Avatar or Top Gun, though I feel secure in assuming neither has much business winning an Oscar. Extremely surprised Babylon didn't get a nomination (plan on seeing it this weekend).
    I won’t discourage you from seeing it, but once you do you’ll know why it wasn’t nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I won’t discourage you from seeing it, but once you do you’ll know why it wasn’t nominated.
    The knocks I've heard are it's way over the top and far too long. Though that's also kind of the standard description for "Oscar nominee."

It should get technical nominations, but I just don't see it as a "best picture" in anyway.

But we know why it and Top Gun were nominated... a desperate attempt to increase viewership.
    Or maybe because they both made billions and are incredibly popular worldwide? I can movie snob with the best of em, but I’ve always felt the Oscar’s historically made a mistake ignoring the mega popular movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Nobody deserves an Oscar. It doesn't mean anything anymore. Those who win anymore aren't the best for that year. It's nothing but politics now. It's a joke. The entire industry is a complete joke now as it's all turned political.
    I have only seen one of these movies, as I have two little kids and simply don’t have time, what is political about these noms? I’m not being snarky, I honestly am curious.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Or maybe because they both made billions and are incredibly popular worldwide? I can movie snob with the best of em, but I’ve always felt the Oscar’s historically made a mistake ignoring the mega popular movies.
    I’ve said a few times that I agree that the Oscars needs to recognize more blockbusters, but not for the reason the Oscars is currently doing it. They are doing to boost their own ratings.

I want more Oscar nominations and wins for blockbusters because making a great action movie takes the same amount of talent, skill and effort to make a great drama. Off the top of my head, I would have liked to seen Oscar noms for Bourne Identity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, The Winter Soldier. Those were all better movies than
    Green Book or Nomadland.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The knocks I've heard are it's way over the top and far too long. Though that's also kind of the standard description for "Oscar nominee."
    The big surprise and let down for me was "Till." It has everything the Oscars usually loves... historical, about prejudice, legal drama, heart wrenching. It also was exceptionally well made. It should have gotten Best Picture, Director and Actress at the very least.

The fact that it got zero nominations and Green Book won Best Pictures tells us everything we need to know about the Academy and their voters.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Role Models got snubbed.

16. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (01-27-2023)

I admittedly don’t watch as many new movies as I used to, but the best one I saw in 2022 was The Northman. Doesn’t look like it got any nominations.

I’ve said a few times that I agree that the Oscars needs to recognize more blockbusters, but not for the reason the Oscars is currently doing it. They are doing to boost their own ratings.

I want more Oscar nominations and wins for blockbusters because making a great action movie takes the same amount of talent, skill and effort to make a great drama. Off the top of my head, I would have liked to seen Oscar noms for Bourne Identity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, The Winter Soldier. Those were all better movies than
    Green Book or Nomadland.
    Haven't seen Avatar (either of them), so I can't comment on that. However, Top Gun: Maverick is a very good action film. It's well-made, again for what it is.

19. Likes:

757690 (01-24-2023)

If you live by a Regal theater, they are showing all of the Best Picture nominees March 3-12

Name:  E6453052-A8EE-41A4-9111-0B092DA87847.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  216.5 KB
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-27-2023),cumberlandreds (01-27-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

My overall take - 2022 was a pretty subpar year for film. I don’t really recall seeing an original film all of last year that I particularly enjoyed outside of The Batman - which if they were going to nominate a blockbuster, that would’ve been my pick. But in terms of typical Oscar fare, all I remember seeing last year was Licorice Pizza which I believe was a late 2021 movie. Didn’t go to the theater really at all aside from that.

I did want to see Bones and All since Guadagnino’s Suspiria remake was quite good and he did get the best picture nomination for Call Me By Your Name. And this one was filmed in Cincinnati too. But haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Turn Off Ads?