Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Rolen to HOF

Re: Rolen to HOF

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Are you sure it's not Lee May he threw out on the play you described? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XHZbhR9qc
    He threw out everybody in that series.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-29-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He threw out everybody in that series.
    https://baseballegg.com/2020/10/22/b...ies-both-ways/

This is what RFS is alluding to

In Game Three, Robinson doubled in a pair of runs in the first inning, pacing the O’s to a 9-3 victory. In the sixth inning, Brooks was at it again: robbing Johnny Bench of a hit to left field when he dove to his left.

“That was an illusion,” Pete Rose said after the game. “I saw that ball bouncing down the line for a hit, but when I blinked, [Robinson] had it in his glove.

“I’ve never seen anything like him in my life,” Rose said.

5. Likes:

M2 (01-29-2023),Old school 1983 (01-29-2023),RFS62 (02-06-2023),Ron Madden (01-29-2023),Roy Tucker (02-17-2023)

Older relatives of mine still talk about that 1970 series and how great Robinson was. I’m not sure if they are more bitter about that or the loss to the As. They do tell me that 1970 may have been the best of the BRM teams despite not winning the series. If the pitching was healthy, that series may have played out very differently.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Older relatives of mine still talk about that 1970 series and how great Robinson was. I’m not sure if they are more bitter about that or the loss to the As. They do tell me that 1970 may have been the best of the BRM teams despite not winning the series. If the pitching was healthy, that series may have played out very differently.
    With a pitching rotation of Nolan, Merritt, Simpson, McGlothlin and Cloninger plus Milt Wilcox in a pinch, they certainly had enough to beat anyone in a 7 game series if those guys pitched like they did until the all-star break. Granger, Gullet and Carroll out of the pen was pretty good too.

However, to put it in perspective how bad the Reds pitching was in that series, here's the starters ERA (Nolan 2 games, 7.71), McGlothlin (1 game, 8.31), Cloninger (1 game, 7.36), Merritt (1 game, 21.6). It also didn't help that our great stopper out of the pen, Wayne Granger had an ERA of 33.75 including giving up the first grand slam to a pitcher in the world series.

But when it comes to all-around, that team loses out in fielding, speed and balanced lineup when compared to 75/76.

Fielding, Bench=Bench, Perez=May, Morgan>>>>Helms, Concepcion>>Woodward/Young Concepcion, Rose better than Perez(believe it or not and Rose wasn't good at 3rd base), Griffey>Rose, Geronimo>>>>Tolan, Foster>=Carbo/McRae

The only speed that had in that lineup was Tolan and Concepcion(when he started, Woodward started most games. The 75 team had Morgan, Griffey, Concepcion and Geronimo, with Foster having some for a power hitter.

Bullpen of Eastwick, McEnany, Borbon and Carrol, pretty formidable but Granger/Carroll/Gullett pretty great itself.

So really, the only thing that team had that was better, was only for 3 months and that was starting pitching that couldn't stay healthy.

As far as Brooks Robinson is concerned, yes, it was the most memorable fielding performance over 5 games probably ever. But do people realize he was probably the Orioles start hitter in that series too? 9 for 21(.429 ba), 5 runs scored, 6 RBI, 2 Homeruns, 2 doubles,
    Last edited by foster15; 01-29-2023 at 02:27 PM.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (01-31-2023),Roy Tucker (01-31-2023)

In the sixth inning, Brooks was at it again: robbing Johnny Bench of a hit to left field when he dove to his left.

“That was an illusion,” Pete Rose said after the game. “I saw that ball bouncing down the line for a hit, but when I blinked, [Robinson] had it in his glove.

Ball bouncing down the line and he dove to his left. Was he coming from the dugout? Maybe using a mirror?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    How quickly we forget, "need ya on 3rd, Brucie..."

I'm Happy for Scott Rolen. Heckuva ballplayer.
    And a helluva leader.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Best moves the Reds made to turn the late 00's team into a winner was trading Dunn and Griffey and adding Rolen.
    I read a book a book called Intangiball by Lonnie Wheeler, who talks about how valuable the intangibles are in winning ball games. In fact, he mentions Rolen versus Griffey/ Dunn. Said Rolen was the kind of leader the Reds' needed, as opposed to Griffey and Dunn. He pretty much made the point that you stated in your post.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Scott Rolen will have a St. Louis Cardinals cap on his Hall of Fame plaque, and Fred McGriff will not have a team logo.
    Rolen played more games with the Phillies (844) than with the Cardinals (661) and had more career WAR in Philadelphia (29.2 to 25.2 in St. Louis), although he won a World Series with the Cardinals in 2006 and his best season came there in 2004, when he finished fourth in the MVP voting.

"I believe this decision accurately represents a pivotal portion of my career based on our teams' successes in St. Louis," Rolen said in a statement issued by the Hall on Friday. "I am grateful to Philadelphia, St. Louis, Toronto and Cincinnati for the opportunities given to me as a player, but more importantly, for how they embraced me and my family."

McGriff, a five-time All-Star first baseman elected by the contemporary baseball era committee in December, played for Toronto (1986-90), San Diego (1991-93), Atlanta (1993-97), Tampa Bay (1998-2001, 2004), the Chicago Cubs (2001-02) and the Los Angeles Dodgers (2003).

"In discussing my career with the Hall of Fame," McGriff said in a statement, "we decided that with no logo on my plaque, I can equally represent these cities and the incredible fans in Toronto, where I got my start, Atlanta, where we won the World Series, and my hometown of Tampa Bay, as well as my time in San Diego."

McGriff helped the Braves reach two World Series, winning a title in 1995. He played his most games with the Braves but had his most career WAR with the Blue Jays (19.4 to 11.1). With the Blue Jays, McGriff led the American League in home runs (36) and OPS (.924) in 1989 and was second in home runs in 1988, putting up those numbers in a lower-scoring environment compared with his time with the Braves. He also led the National League with 35 home runs while with the Padres in 1992.

Both will be inducted into the Hall on July 23.
    Continue Reading:
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...skips-logo-hof
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-17-2023 at 03:51 PM.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-17-2023),RED VAN HOT (02-17-2023)

The Blue Jays are double snubbed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-17-2023),stlwahoo (02-17-2023),Wonderful Monds (02-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Fred McGriff will not have a team logo.
    Such an obvious missed opportunity

18. Likes:

bm1475 (02-17-2023),Boss-Hog (02-18-2023),cumberlandreds (02-18-2023),KronoRed (02-18-2023),M2 (02-18-2023),NC Reds (02-17-2023),RedsBaron (02-18-2023),Ron Madden (02-17-2023)

Turn Off Ads?