Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - It was always the Jags

2023 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - It was always the Jags

You non-Jax people probably don't recognize that "It was always the Jags" became a rallying cry down the stretch....

This year's thread will be so unlike our normal thread, where we do an autopsy on the dead body. This year, we have hope for the future, borne of a successful year.

The leading story for 2023 is how do we continue to improve in a year when we are up against the cap? We currently are (according to Spotrac) 30th in Cap space and are are 28 million over the cap for 2023. We have one various obvious cap casualty coming in Shaquille Griffin. Cutting him will save 13 million in Cap space leading us 15 million over. (I'm not sure what changed.... a few days ago cutting him left us even on the cap).

How did the cap of a bottom-dwelling team to start the year get so bad? We spent a lot of money to attract free agents. (many said over-spent), and almost to a man, those contract had a big cap hit in 2023, and are super-easy to clear in 2024. For example in 2024 cutting just 4 guys could lower the cap hit by 58 million. Two of those guys are very possible to be cut. So the issue for the off-season is how do we re-sign the free agents we want to res-sign? I think very few free agents will be coming in this year. The Jags will have to improve from within and from the draft. And for a change we don't draft till #25 (#24 in your hearts).

The biggest question mark revolves around our offensive tackles. Last year at this time we had Cam Robinson as a FA eligible left tackle who was good not great. We had a disappointing RT in Jawann Taylor, and had spent a #2 pick (45 overall) on a LT from Stanford who played very little and had not wowed people when he did. Jags decided to sign Robinson to a 3 year deal. Cap wise he is expensive in 2023 and 2024, but easy to cut in 2024. But Robinson was very solid in 2022. Until he tore his meniscus and missed the last 6 games including the playoff.

Walker Little were supposed to fight it out for RT, and Taylor won the job and by most all accounts (notably Tony Boselli) Taylor had his best season and was our best OT. Taylor is now a FA. And when Robinson went down the the knee injury the Jags were forced to play Walker Little at LT and again by most accounts was every bit as good as Robinson. In his post season radio broadcast Boselli was forced to agree with Pete Prisco that Walker Little played better than Robinson. If this was 2024 the answer would be clear. Resign Taylor at RT and put Little in a LT. Boselli thought resigning Taylor should be Jags #1 priority. If you do that, at least for 2023 you have 3 tackles for 2 spots. All are fairly young. 27 and under.

The Jags signed 2 free agents in 2022 to one year prove-it deals. Evan Engram and Arden Key. Normally these are done to to get the hell out of Jax as quickly as possible. But not only did both guys flourish, both fell in love with the team and the city and want to stay. Halfway thru the season, Key bought a house.

Here's a list of Jags Free agents
    OT Jawaan Taylor, TE Evan Engram, WR Marvin Jones, DE Arden Key, DT Corey Peters, DT Adam Gotsis, DE Dawuane Smoot, TE Chris Manhertz, CB Tre Herndon, S Andrew Wingard, TE Dan Arnold, QB CJ Beathard.

HC Doug Pederson stated that they can't resign everyone. GM Trent Baalke said Jags want to retain core UFA players like Engram and Taylor. Baalke and Pederson are supposed to meet Wed 1/25 for their first FA discussions. Two guys jump out as me as guys who may not come back. We have signed WR Calvin Ridley for next year. Marvin Jones was our #3 WR. I think Ridley replaces him and he moves on. Jags also signed a Canadian Football League QB, 23 year old Nathan Rourke, who worked out with 12 teams, and chose between offers form Jax, Cle and LV and he chose Jax. You never know with the CFL guys but he might be #2 next year replacing Beathard.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-24-2023 at 11:32 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2023 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - It was always the Jags

FA update from Baalke

Eugene Frenette
    @GeneFrenette
    Baalke met with UFA Engram Monday and there’s mutual interest in the productive TE returning for 2023. Baalke adds he hopes not to use the franchise tag on anybody

Jags lose their Passing Game Coordinator Jim Bob Cooter to Indy to become their Offensive Coordinator.

The Jags WR coach moved on to University of Texas. To replace him the Jags hired the Bills WR coach Chad Hall. Lot of talk from the Bills WR's saying how great he was. He was going to interview for Ravens OC and then took Jags WR gig.

Some updates.... Jaguars hired Nick Holz, UNLV’s former offensive coordinator, as their passing game coordinator. He's been with the Raiders previously and supposedly was good friends with OC Press Taylor.

In a move that surprised me the Jags resigned CJ Beathard as backup QB. I thought they'd go with the Canadian signee. He was cheap. 2.25 mill per year.

Jags need to do some restructuring to get under the cap. The first domino fell, restructuring LB Foye Oluokun, creating $10.336M in space. They were 32 million over prior to the move.

The Oluokun restructure essentially gauarentees that he will have a big cap hit of 25 million in 2024 and then be released in 2025 with a dead cap of 7 million.

Jags resign DL Roy Robertson-Harris to a 3 year, 30 million dollar deal. RRH was not a free agent. He had one year left on his deal, so this is widely anticipated to be a deal that saves them cap room for 2023.

JAX is being aggressive at the moment. They are determined to have a great off-season.

Retained JaMichael Hasty.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

It takes time to evaluate a draft. Even more time than 20 months. I kept going back and forth on the 2021 Urban Meyer/Trent Baalke class. A year and a half later, it looks pretty good.

1) Trevor Lawrence.
    1A) Travis Etienne - Was very productive back after missing year 1. Probably could have maximized the pick a bit more by trading down a few spots and still getting him
    2) Tyson Campbell - Had some growing pains but has turned into very nice corner
    2A) Walker Little - Hardly played at all until last 5 or 6 games but looked so good Jags will probably lose either Cam Robinson or Jawaan Taylor in next 15 months.
    3) Andre Cisco - Missed a lot of 2021 recovering from ACL but has turned into nice safety

Picks after that were basically wasted. We got something out of Luke Farrell.

Gives me encouragement that 2022 will look better in a year.

Jags continue to restructure the cap

The Jaguars converted a total of $32.657M of base salary for WR Christian Kirk, WR Zay Jones and G Brandon Scherff into signing bonuses, creating a total of $26.14M in 2023 cap space, per source.

The are WIDELY expected to cut Shaq Griffin and create another $13 mill in cap space. The key to these restructures (in my mind) is to keep all the free agents, yet no create a big cap issue in 2024 and beyond.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Jags continue to restructure the cap

The Jaguars converted a total of $32.657M of base salary for WR Christian Kirk, WR Zay Jones and G Brandon Scherff into signing bonuses, creating a total of $26.14M in 2023 cap space, per source.

The are WIDELY expected to cut Shaq Griffin and create another $13 mill in cap space. The key to these restructures (in my mind) is to keep all the free agents, yet no create a big cap issue in 2024 and beyond.
    Converting salary into signing bonuses essentially pushes money into future years. I'm surprised they'd want to do that since Lawrence is still on his rookie deal. Now's the time to pay off these things, not later when the star QB needs to get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Converting salary into signing bonuses essentially pushes money into future years. I'm surprised they'd want to do that since Lawrence is still on his rookie deal. Now's the time to pay off these things, not later when the star QB needs to get paid
    OTOH, if you have a window of opportunity to make a possible deep playoff run you hedge your bets and go for gold. Sign free agents and free up cap space however you can to do so, then worry about the QB conundrum later.

The Jags have one more year before they really have to worry about Lawrence. Not to mention seeing if he takes a major leap forward. He’s not Burrow but he’s not Danny Dimes either.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Jags brought a TON of guys last year in Free Agency and had to overpay to do it. Almost all of the contracts had a big hit in Year 2 (2023) and could be dumped in Year 3. So this year was always the penalty year. If done correctly, we'll still be in great shape after 2024. Before these moves we had 41 million cap space in 2024. We will no longer have to overpay to bring guys in.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    OTOH, if you have a window of opportunity to make a possible deep playoff run you hedge your bets and go for gold. Sign free agents and free up cap space however you can to do so, then worry about the QB conundrum later.

The Jags have one more year before they really have to worry about Lawrence. Not to mention seeing if he takes a major leap forward. He’s not Burrow but he’s not Danny Dimes either.
    He's a lot closer to Burrow than he is Danny Dimes. No disrespect to Burrow, im a huge fan, but lets watch and see what happens for Lawrence adding in Ridley. I think there is a good chance you see a similar jump with Lawrence like we did with Burrow when they added Chase.

Also not trying to trash Jones but he's not a pure passer like Burrow and Lawrence. Jones depends on his legs as much as his arm.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 02-28-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Per James Palmer:

The #jaguars have already finished their work on free agent evaluations and don’t expect them to be very active if even at all. They are focused on their own free agents. There is a good amount of confidence right now something will be worked out to bring back TE Evan Engram

That's kind of what I hoped for/expected. I guess the big question is FA LT Jawann Taylor. According to local reporter Mia O'Brien....

"Had someone in the building tell me last week that Taylor is either an extension, or walking. No tag."

I'd prefer to keep Taylor at RT and move on from LT Robinson either now or in 1 year, versus moving on from Taylor and moving Walker Little to RT.

Turn Off Ads?