Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - It was always the Jags

Re: 2023 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - It was always the Jags

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Converting salary into signing bonuses essentially pushes money into future years. I'm surprised they'd want to do that since Lawrence is still on his rookie deal. Now's the time to pay off these things, not later when the star QB needs to get paid
    All of the winning teams have done it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Per James Palmer:

The #jaguars have already finished their work on free agent evaluations and don’t expect them to be very active if even at all. They are focused on their own free agents. There is a good amount of confidence right now something will be worked out to bring back TE Evan Engram

That's kind of what I hoped for/expected. I guess the big question is FA LT Jawann Taylor. According to local reporter Mia O'Brien....

"Had someone in the building tell me last week that Taylor is either an extension, or walking. No tag."

I'd prefer to keep Taylor at RT and move on from LT Robinson either now or in 1 year, versus moving on from Taylor and moving Walker Little to RT.
    I mentioned before last season started that Evan Engram was a steal for them and a perfect fit for Lawrence. While early in the season, he was underperforming my expectations, which I believe was more of coaching decisions than Engram's efforts, he exceeded expectations in the latter half and overall for the season. Coaches were perfect in how they used him looking back.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Sveral reporters are reporting that Jags will use a franchise tag on Engram. Hopefully it's the non-exlusive tage. I mean if someone was willing to give us 2 #1's for Engram I'd take it.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Sveral reporters are reporting that Jags will use a franchise tag on Engram. Hopefully it's the non-exlusive tage. I mean if someone was willing to give us 2 #1's for Engram I'd take it.
    That may be because, like last season, the franchise-tag for LB's is extemely reasonable compared to the franchise-tag at all other positions, which is why I think the Cowboys will use it on Shultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That may be because, like last season, the franchise-tag for LB's is extemely reasonable compared to the franchise-tag at all other positions, which is why I think the Cowboys will use it on Shultz.
    TE's not LB's
    Last edited by JaxRed; 03-06-2023 at 02:10 PM.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-07-2023)

The NFL has reinstated Calvin Ridley effective immediately

Jags have officially tagged Evan Engram. No word on exclusive versus non-exclusive. I'd love for it to be non--exclusive but I doubt it is. Most around here take this to mean that Jawann Taylor will hit FA and leave.

It was the non-exclusive tag as I hoped. Also, Calvin Ridley has been reinstated by the NFL.

Jags finally released Shaq Griffin. Everyone knew this was coming. Have no idea why they waited. Saves them 13 mill in cap space.

I think we have to snag a CB early in the draft. I wouldnt mind pairing Campbell with his UGA replacement, Kelee Ringo.

What you said is probably the most prevalent opinion. I'll probably change my mind 40 times in the next 6 weeks, but assuming we lose Jawann Taylor, I'd be inclined to address OT. We have a ton invested in Cam Robinson and Brandon Sherrif. Somehow signing Taylor would just make the issue worse.

I want to find a way to get Walker Little at LT (cheap). Trading Cam Robinson would free up 12 mill or 17 mill depending on whether it was designated Pre June 1 or Post June 1. If you traded Cam, and drafted a RT in 1st round. You'd have Little, Bartch/Shatley, Fortner, Sherrif, Drafted RT. Than only leaves SHerrif and he gets cut after 2023, and now you have an affordable line.

As it looked like..... Jawann Taylor has signed elsewhere (Chiefs).

Taylor got 60 guaranteed. No chance we were coming near that.

I think this makes OT almost as important as CB in the draft. Cam is on the books for 2023 and 2024 but they can get out of his deal with only $5 million in dead cap after this year in the event he's injured again or just doesnt play anywhere worth the 16.25 he'll cost in 2024.

As much as we need a CB opposite Campbell our #1 priority will always be protection for Lawrence.

After Day 1 one of FA, it has been all losses and no gains for Jags. I expected them to sign very little. We essentially signed 2 years worth of folks last year. But we have lost several so far:

OT Jawann Taylor. TE Chris Manhertz.

Jags wanted to keep Arden Key, and he has not signed anywhere yet, but supposedly has 8-9 suitors.

Jags re-sign Dewey Wingard.

Turn Off Ads?