Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - It was always the Jags

Re: 2023 Jacksonville Jaguars Thread - It was always the Jags

#Jaguars continue to put the band back together, so to speak.

They've re-signed several of their own impending free agents, as expected.

Losing: Jawaan Taylor, Arden Key, Chris Manhertz

Returning: Evan Engram, C.J. Beathard, Adam Gotsis, Andrew Wingard, Tre Herndon
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sources: The #Jaguars and DT DaVon Hamilton agreed to terms on a 3-year, $34.5M deal with $23M fully guaranteed plus incentives that bring the max compensation up to $36M. The former third rounder will make over $18.7M in the 1st year of the extension, coming off a career year.

Jacksonville Jaguars left tackle Cam Robinson will be suspended at the start of the 2023 season, per a source close to the situation.

Robinson will be suspended by the NFL for an undisclosed amount of games for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy, per the source.

I was always kind of a draft an OL in 1st round guy..... now I really am.

This stinks, especially with Taylor gone to KC. My guess is he gets 4 games unless it was a masking agent, then it could possibly only be 2.

Guessing Little will slide to the LT spot and Wells will start at RT.

As far as the draft im still feeling BPA aside from a WR or RB, though positionally I would be looking for secondary or OL.

The guys on 1010XL are all leaning OL. Brent Martineau is saying no effect. I'm with the 1010XL guys on this one.

Jags went for Oklahoma OT Anton Harrison. I've been saying OT all draft season. And that was before the Robinson suspension. The Jags had an O-line problem. LT Cam Robinson was expensive, and his cheap backup (Little) was better. The RT went for $20M plus in free agency. The RT is getting old (32) and is expensive.

So the obvious long term solution is Little at LT, release Robinson after 2023 to to save $12M, draft a RT in 2023 (now Harrison), and pick up a RG in either 2023 or 2024. Jags are also unsure what they have a LG since Bartch was hurt all year. So they may need a LG in 2024 also. The Robinson suspension just reinforced the need.

Question is how to handle Things in 2023. For me.... Little is the LT. Period. During the suspension I put Harrison at RT. The question becomes: What do you do with Cam when he comes back? Is he a swing tackle back up? Is he trade bait? Do you put him at RT for remainder of season and move Harrison inside or to backup?

As far as where they drafted him. Baalke says he was their highest rated player on the board. I don't believe that for a moment. I hope he was. But I think I knew they had to take a tackle, the gap between the next guy was big, and after trading down twice, could not gamble anymore.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-28-2023 at 12:30 AM.

In the post draft news conference, Baalke said they had further opportunities to trade down and decided not to. The extra picks they got were not high. For the first trade down they go down spot gain pick Nos. 160 and 240. 160 is a late 5th. 240 is a mid 7th. And the second trade down was pick #130 which is a late 4th,

Jags will have 3 late 4th rounders. It seems like that might be their ammo to move up.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-28-2023 at 01:10 AM.

For round 2 I would love to come away with Torrence, Branch, or Ringo.

Think they did a fantastic job last night of adding three day 3 picks while still getting what they wanted at the back end of rd 1.

Jags take a Tight End as some people suspected they might, but not a guy I've heard people speculating on. It was Brenton Strange out of Penn State. There's a lot of football people saying this is a real nice pick. And then in the 4th, a pick which seemed a little out of place to me was Auburn RB Tank Bigsby, who sounds like a 230lb fullback but is actually a speed guy. I actually like him, but the position seemed a strange one to go after. I do think this means Snoop Conner is a goner.

Apparently Jags were trying to move up all day and couldn't find a dance partner. Including making a move up to the end of the third. So there are some guys out there they still want and they have 3 4th rounders.

OK, in the end the Jags could never find any takers for their draft picks (except for one which turned into a 2024 4th rounder), and they drafted 13 guys. I think, reading up on things, that Anton Richardson might have actually been their top rated guy. Peter King has an article out where he was in the Raiders draft room. They wanted Paris Johnson. But they contemplated a trade down where they would take Richardson at 12.

And a lot of folk like Strange and Tank Bigsby too.

THey picked up an Edge guy in Round 4 and a safety in Round 5. Which were needs. So we'll see. Opinions vary on how well they did. Dane Brugler has them 24th.

Great conversation about what happened between the Bill/Jags during their tradeback

https://twitter.com/i/status/1653826799229345801

And now TIAA Bank field is back to being Everbank again. But for some reason Everbank Stadium instead of Everbank Field like before.

Now that it's confirmed that they have a franchise QB now, they'll continue to work on the Offensive Line until they get it right. They did their best drafting an OT in the 1st Round, but as the Bengals well know and most other teams, too, an O-Line is a difficult thing to put together.

Jaguars T Cam Robinson Issued Four-Game PED Suspension

June 29th, 2023 at 3:05pm CST by Adam La Rose

Details have emerged regarding the PED suspension Cam Robinson will serve to begin the 2023 season. The Jaguars tackle will be sidelined for four games to start the year, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter (Twitter link).
    News of the Robinson ban came out in April, but it was not known at that point how many contests he would miss. Today’s update clarifies the challenge Jacksonville will face along the offensive line, a unit which already saw the departure of Jawaan Taylor to the Chiefs in free agency. The loss of Taylor left the Jaguars in need of a notable O-line investment in the draft, something which came in Round 1 in the form of Anton Harrison. The latter was likely to play on the right side upon Robinson’s return, but there is a path for him to spend the first month of his rookie campaign at his familiar left tackle spot. Harrison made all but one of his starts at Oklahoma on the blindside.

Jacksonville also has Walker Little in place as a more experienced LT option. The former second-rounder has made 28 regular and postseason appearances to date, spending most of his time at left tackle. If the team elects to ease Harrison into the pro game (or keep him at right tackle in preparation for when Robinson returns) the Stanford product could see a starting blindside role in the fall. For Robinson individually, this news carries signficant financial consequences. As Schefter’s colleague Field Yates tweets, the 27-year-old will lose $3.55MM in salary due to the missed time, and the remaining guranteed money on his deal will void. Robinson signed a three-year, $52.75MM extension in 2022 which called for his $16MM 2023 base salary to be guranteed in full. That figure will rise to a non-guranteed $16.25MM next season, while his cap hit will remain above $22MM as is the case this year. The Jaguars have remained committed to the Alabama product despite his less-than-spectacular performances throughout his career. His return to the lineup will no doubt be welcomed when it takes place, but the absence of guranteed money in the final year of his contract could spark new questions about his long-term future with the team. Robinson will miss games against the Colts, Chiefs, Texans and Falcons while serving his suspension. He will be eligible to return in Week 5, the Jaguars’ second straight London matchup when they play the Bills.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/ja...rs-news-rumors
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

While it should still be a lock for the Jaguars to win that Division (they were the only team to not have double-digit losses last season), it opens up the door for the Colts to challenge them. Mike Vrabel, of course, can never be counted out with putting the Titans into a challenging position, too.

Houston,...we've got a problem.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    While it should still be a lock for the Jaguars to win that Division (they were the only team to not have double-digit losses last season), it opens up the door for the Colts to challenge them. Mike Vrabel, of course, can never be counted out with putting the Titans into a challenging position, too.

Houston,...we've got a problem.
    Colts I think are a year or two away. Richardson is the rawest QB in the draft but is oozing with upside. Texans would have been better off drafting Richardson and the Colts Stroud. Stroud would likely have them competing as soon as this year. I don't see that with Richardson.

I could see the Titans passing the Texans as worst team in the division this year. They don't know what they want to do.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?