Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I talked with Tom Nichols

I talked with Tom Nichols

I just “talked” with Tom Nichols on Twitter. He had some interesting things to say. For those that don’t know, Tom is the play by play man and director of media relations for the Dayton Dragons.

I asked who he thought would be the Starting pitchers in Dayton this season. He said Bonnin wouldn’t be ready to start the season and that his injury could be career threatening. I hate to hear that.

said Hajjar was shut down last august with shoulder problems. Was going to try to give it a go in spring training but some believe the issue will resurface.

Said Lyon Richardson told him there was “no chance” he started below AA but that was just player talk, he didn’t know for sure.

He thought Daytons starters would be Rivera, Petty, Aguiar, Hajjar (if healthy) and maybe Cooper or Hubbard. I have a hard time seeing it being Hubbard but Tom would know a lot more than me. He thought Parks could be moved to the bullpen unless there are injuries.

He thought Vellojin or Nelson could be brought back to Dayton to be the starting catcher.

I had Faltine projected to go to Dayton due to Daytona’s loaded infield. He said he would be surprised to see him start the season in Dayton. Said he wouldn’t be shocked if Jose Torres started back in Dayton

I asked about Henry Rodriguez. He said, mid season or later return (he had surgery in his knee or lower leg)

I asked about how much rope Joe Boyle would be given before moving him to the bullpen. He said “Boyle’s performance will answer your question. As long as he can compete as a starter, he will stay there. He is not a true “scatter arm” guy where he is hitting the backstop once a batter. His stuff is off the charts. Boyle is like Chapman in a sense in that his velocity plays up even higher than the radar gun tells you. Very hard for hitters to get the barrel on the ball. That’s why he gives up so few hits. Balls put in play are hit very weakly”

He also offered to do a zoom conversation to post on here. I’m going to try to figure out how and what I need to do that. It was very nice of him to offer. If I can figure it out, I’ll see if I can set it up.

Tom also talked about how much more energy the Dragons played with after Allen arrived. Very complementary, saying Allen’s energy changed the whole team. Said every team needed a player like that

There are 7 legit outfield prospects that could be in Dayton. They can’t all be there. Hinds, Hendrick, Allen, Dunn, Thompson, Boyd and Rogers. He seemed to think Hinds could go to Chattanooga and Boyd back to Daytona. That would still leave five. He thought Hendrick, Allen and Thompson would be in Dayton. That leaves Dunn and Rogers. I’m going to guess Rogers to Chattanooga.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-25-2023),Bourgeois Zee (01-25-2023),goreds2 (01-26-2023),icehole3 (01-26-2023),JCM11 (01-25-2023),klw (01-27-2023),RED VAN HOT (01-25-2023),Tom Servo (01-25-2023),UKFlounder (01-25-2023),WrongVerb (01-26-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Turn Off Ads?