Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2023 QB Carousel Thread

The 2023 QB Carousel Thread

I start the 2023 thread before the 2022 season ends. Because it seems to me that some of the wheels are already turning. Things looming over the carousel this year: Unlike last year this is considered a pretty good QB year for the draft, as is the one coming in 2024.

Derek Carr has a 40 million dollar option that has to be decided on NLT 3 days after the Super Bowl. Brady is a Free Agent yet again. And Aaron Rogers is contemplating the Universe yet again.

There seems to be an abnormal amount of free agent QB's this year: Brady, Mayfield, Darnold, Garapalo, Bridgewater, Daniel Jones, Keenum, Brissett, Rudolph, Minshew, Geno Smith, Dalton, Mike White, Lamar Jackson, Heinicke, Lock, Stidham, Rush. And more.

I posted in the thread last year a quote from an Athletic article that stated "Don’t use significant resources for competency at QB". Teams would do well to keep that in mind, because I feel at least on team is going to violate that rule this year. And teams need to draw the line somewhere on QB salaries. The Packers last year signed a 3 year 150 million dollar contract on a 39 year old QB. And then had a losing record. And if he retires they have a 100 million dollar dead cap. 3 or 4 teams simply made stupid QB decisions that are going to set their teams back for 5 years or more.

Run thru divisions -

AFC East
    Buffalo - 100% set with Allen

Patriots - Mac Jones had just an ok year. His numbers were down from his rookie year. His backup had better numbers. His team finished 8-9. Could the Pats make a move this year? Maybe. Unless he has a big bounce-back year in 2023, you figure something will change in 2024.

Dolphins - Tua had a roller coaster year. Played really well for a while, then cooled off, and then started getting hurt/concussed. The concussions are at least a little concerning that they might be (eventually) career ending. If ever a team needed a really good backup, Miami would seem to be that team. Last years backup Bridgewater is a FA.

Jets - At least for now Zach Wilson has bust written all over him. White was better but he is a FA also. Jets claim Wilson is still in their long term plans but no one thinks he will be the starter in 2023. Jets have a pretty solid nucleus, so you hear speculation of guys like Carr.

AFC South
    Titans - Titans are one of those teams who have overpaid for competency. Tannehill is a decent game manager, but has a 27 million dollar salary and a 37 million dollar cap hit. They could save 9 million by releasing him (they are over the cap), but Malik Willis looked over-matched and was benched for Josh Dobbs in the last 2 crucial games. Tannehill is a Free agent after 2023. What Titans should NOT do is extend him on 2-3 year deal at 25 mill per year to lower cap hit in 2023. They have pick #11 in this years draft. Picking up Herndon Hooker (maybe not at #11) would make a LOT of sense.

Colts - Colts keep trying to patch the leak they sprung with Luck retirement with retreads and it has not worked. First Rivers. Last year Wentz. This year Ryan. Ryan will be released. Foles might be too. Ehlinger looked over-matched. Colts almost certainly seem to either sign a moderately in-demand FA or draft a QB of the future or both. Carr is also mentioned here. A team would have to be insane to trade for Carr before Vegas releases him. However, Jim Irsay directs all the QB decisions and he might be the least stable NFL owner.

Jags - Jags are in the sweet spot, with Lawrence on a rookie deal. They signed a QB out of CFL who might replace Beathard as a the backup.

Texans - Texans made out like a bandit on DeShaun Watson, getting 3 first rounders for him. Now they have 2nd overall pick and can get either Stroud or Young. My guess is Mills stays as backup/bridge.

AFC North
    Bengals - 100% set with Burrow. They've been in the sweet spot with an elite QB on rookie deal. They are going to have to sign him soon. Is he going to demand a contract so high it hurts how good a team they can have?

Ravens - Lamar Jackson is a Free Agent. Baltimore says they are 200% bringing him back. Lamar acts as his own agent and wants a fully guaranteed deal like DeSean Watson. Frankly this has all the signs of a future bad deal coming down the pike. Oft injured QB who's come off his career highs, the team guaranteeing he'll come back. I think they'd be better off with a franchise tag and a trade. Backups didn't look good this year, so if they move on they need more.

Steelers - Draftee Pickett has secured #1 for now with Trubisky a capable backup. As long as Pickett continues to improve Steelers are set for a while.

Browns - The competition for worst QB move of 2022 is stiff but the leader after 1 year is probably Cleveland. They pay 3 first rounders (plus a few other picks) and then give him a 5 year fully guaranteed 230 million dollar deal. They pay him nothing in 2022, so his cap hit for the next 4 years is 55 mill per year, his dead cap number this year is over 200 mill. And then he came in and kinda stunk after 2 year layoff. 58% passing completion. 7/5 TD to Int. If he doesn't step it up big time, the next 4 years in Cleveland are going to be ugly.

AFC West
    Chiefs - 100% set

Chargers - 100% set. Almost extension time.

Raiders - Team set up so new management could cut Carr loose after 1 season and that's exactly what they did. Sent him home with 2 games to go and looked at Stidham. At the time they cut him, Carr led the league in interceptions. Taking the last 2 games off gave that dubious distinction to Prescott/Mills (it's a Texas thing). So Raiders have no QB for 2023. Carr has to be traded or released 3 days after the Superbowl, or 40 million in guarantees kicks in. Carr has a no trade clause. All of that makes it almost crazy to trade for Carr. Is anyone dumb enough? As they say it only takes one team. Vegas is where a lot of the Brady rumors simmer. It would reunite him with his OC from Patriots.

Broncos - The other prime contender for stupidest QB move of 2022. Traded 2 first and 2 seconds and some players to Seattle for Russell Wilson who had been declining. And then before ever seeing how he looked signed him to a 5 year $242 million deal. Only to watch him pretty much stink all year. Helped get the HC fired. Now they are stuck with him for at least 3 more years, and to get rid of him in 4th will be painful ($31M dead cap)

NFC East -
    Dallas - All of sudden that Prescott contract is looking a little dodgy. Dallas can't get far in the playoffs every year. He led the NFL in interceptions despite missing 5 games. And then threw 2 in a losing effort in the playoffs. He has at least 2 more very expensive (over $50m cap hit) years left on his deal. The 3rd year he could be cut with $21M dead cap. Backup Cooper Rush is a FA.

Philly - Jalen Hurts had a great year and solidified himself as one of better QB's in the game. Getting close to contract time. Backup Minshew is a FA/

Washington - Washington is the latest team to try and fail with Wentz. Taylor Heinecke is FA. Wentz is due $26 million but can be released with ZERO cap hit. I just can't figure out what the Commanders might do. /s Sam Howell got one game. Washington needs a starter and looks to tap into one of the Free Agents.

Giants - Giants did not pick up Daniel Jones 5th year option a year ago so he is a FA. He performed much better this yar and the Giants say they want him back. This is the team that is going to overpay for average. Sign him for 3 or 4 years at 10-12 million. If he doesn't want that..... move on. Instead they will give the guy 25 million a year for 3 years.

NFC South
    Tampa - Almost everyone thinks Brady is moving on. If he does he leaves behind a $35 mill dead cap hit. And an organization who fired a lot of their staff but kept the HC. Gabbert is a FA, Trask is under contract and got almost no time. They might also seem to be a spot for a free agent.

New Orleans - Dalton is a FA. Even at the end when he was a lame duck they wouldn't play Winston who has one more year. He only saves 4 million if cut so they probably keep him. Saints have worst cap situation in the league. They kicked the can down the road last year, making this year even worse. Honestly I look at their cap situation and wonder how they can get out of it. They are going to struggle with the cap for years. I would play Winston/Hill and draft some lottery ticket and see if you get lucky. To me they simply can't afford to get a FA.

Carolina - Played musical chairs all year, before releasing Mayfield and handing the reins to bearded Darold who was better than clean-shaven Darnold. Matt Corrall missed the entire season. Still most people think Carolina is a candidate for a Free Agent or draftee.

Atlanta - Gave Mariota a try at QB and decide later in the season he wasn't the guy. Mariota decides he is injured and leaves the team. 2022 Draftee Ridder has 4 game stint and looks ok. My guess is they give Ridder another year to see if he can become a solid QB. They might want to sign a solid backup.

NFC North
    Packers - Aaron Rogers once again deciding what to do. Packers foolishly gave him big deal which leaves them with salary issue if he leaves. I say he comes back. Supposedly there is already something in his contract which moves money to future years if he comes back. (makes future years worse). Adam Schefter reports that the Packers will only trade Rodgers to an AFC team and would want 2 First round picks. If you can trade 39 year old Rodgers for 2 first rounders, you should do it no matter which conference it is. They also have to make a decision on Jordan Love, a guy who they have completely wasted. If they pick up his 5th year option for 2024 it will be for over 20 million and he will be a free agent. He's cheap in 2023. If you keep Rodgers don't pick up the option. If you trade Rodgers, MAYBE pick up the option. If you actually think he's good 20 million in 2024 isn't bad.

Vikings - Cousins will be the man again in 2023. They actually could move on in 2024 with only a $12mill dead cap. Unless they re-work his deal again to solve their cap issues. They should try to avoid that. He'll be 36 in 2024.

Bears - Bears are in an interesting spot. They backed into the #1 draft pick. They have a TON of money to spend. #1 in cap space. They have a GM and HC who did not draft Fields. Fields has used 2 of his cheap years. Fields has been a spectacular runner (over 1,000 yards) but just an ok passer. 60% with 17/11 TD/INT ratio. They can have any QB they want, and reset the cheap years and trade Fields for a haul. Or they can trade the pick for a haul. Or they can take any other non-QB they want. I assume the safe choice is trade the pick and stick with Fields. But I'd be tempted to trade Fields if they love a QB. They one thing I would NOT do is just stay at #1 and take best player.

Lions - Lions really turned things around with Goff this year. The deal to acquire him for Stafford has worked out very well for Detroit. He's 6 years younger. He's healthy whereas Stafford missed half of 2022 with back injury. He costs 30 mill per year. Stafford will be 20 mill this year but 50 mill the next 2 years. Stafford was very mediocre (10/8 TD/Int ratio) when he did play, and Goff had a 65% completion rate and 29/7 ratio. They used the first #1 pick to get Jameson Williams this year and now have the #6 overall pick in 2023 from the trade. There were people talking about Lions drafting a QB of the future. I think that's crazy. I stick with Goff.

NFC West

Rams - Rams QB situation (and everything else) got ugly quickly. Rams fresh off a SB win extend 34 year old Stafford for 4 years and 160 million. Stafford went from a Super Bowl and a 41/17 TD/Int ratio, to a 10/8 ratio, missing half the season with a back injury some people were considering possibly career-ending. He's coming back, and Rams have to make a decision to pick up his 2024 and 2025 options. Apparently they will. It costs the Rams 20 million more to cut him than keep him. His cap hit in 2023 is only 20 million but the next 2 years it will be 50 million each. Right now Rams are 30 and 31st in cap space in 2024/2025. Only the Saints are worse. Rams are unsettled at backup.

49's - It was a wild ride in 2022 for 49's. They hung onto Garapolo waiting for an injury to happen for some team. Then the injury happened to SF and Trey Lance in game 2, and Garapolo took over and played great. Till he gets hurt and Rams have to play Mr. Irrelevant (Brock Purdy). All Purdy has done is win every game he's ever played in. (next 2 games may be harder !). So SF goes into 2023 with Purdy and Lance both cheap. Great situation.

Seattle - Seattle trades Russell Wilson for a Kings Ransom, and then is a better team without him. Geno Smith has a WAY better season than anyone expects. He's a FA. And Seattle doesn't have much else at QB. Geno was very cheap in 2022 at 3.5 million. Now Seattle has to decide how much to pay for a one hit wonder. Will he have 4 or 5 more good years and turn out a Greatest Hits album? Or will he remain a blip on the radar who got signed to an expensive deal. It would have behooved Seattle to sign him last year with some cheap option years in case he succeeded.

Cards - Another bad set of decisions from Cards. They give in to blackmail from Kyler Murray who was already under contract for 2022 and 2023 but wanted a longer term deal immediately,, and started pouting on social media. They give him the deal despite rumors of him not being the best clubhouse influence, and feel compelled to give him a bonus if he actually studied the playbook. (a condition later removed after a hue/cry). He's just fair. The team is 3-7 in games he starts and then he tears his ACL. The GM and HC that drafted him and resigned him are both fired after the season (GM had health issues). He has 3 expensive years coming from 2023-2025. He'll miss the start of 2023. And they have bad backups.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-26-2023 at 08:34 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

Chip R (01-26-2023),goreds2 (01-26-2023),Kingspoint (01-26-2023),Puffy (01-28-2023),Redsfaithful (01-27-2023),Revering4Blue (01-27-2023),RichRed (01-28-2023),Rojo Rijo (01-26-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The 2023 QB Carousel Thread

Starting QB Predictions - 2023

Locks:

Locks because of performance:
    Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes - MVP, SB winner, SB MVP, yards leader, TD leader, he's won everything already. Only 27
    Cincinnati - Joe Burrow - Dripping with talent, surrounded by talent, all that's missing is the accolades and trophies.
    Buffalo - Josh Allen - Disappointing finishes for his Bills 3x now but he's still a monster dual threat QB.
    Philadelphia - Jalen Hurts - From doubted to revered. Top notch dual threat QB on NFLs most talented roster.
    Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence - Took the big step I expected. He's only going to get better in 2023.
    Los Angeles - Justin Herbert - Arm talent = freak level. Tough being in Mahomes divison but he's still one of the best right now
    Detroit - Jared Goff - Can't see why Detroit would make a change after he turned in a top 5 QBR season.

Lock because of $ but also potential:
    Cleveland - Deshaun Watson - $220 million dead cap - Gargantuan number. He's still got potential but didnt look good.
    Los Angeles - Matthew Stafford - $49.5 million dead cap - Team took a massive step back after winning SB
    Arizona - Kyler Murray - $97.5 million dead cap - Team headed in wrong direction

Locks because $:
    Denver - Russell Wilson - $107 million dead cap - Denver in a bad place if this is who he is moving forward.
    Dallas - Dak Prescott - $89 million dead cap - Can't help but think his deal will get in their way and they're so close.
    Minnesota - Kirk Cousins - $48.75 million dead cap - Not sure when they'll figure it out but it wont happen with him.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Chance:

Near lock but there is a small chance:
    Baltimore - Lamar Jackson - Contract situation but hard to imagine they let him leave.
    Chicago - Justin Fields - Because Chicago has the #1 overall pick. Still think he showed enough to prevent a change.
    Miami - Tua Tagovailoa - Combination of injury concerns and chance Miami would look to upgrade but he was good.
    Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill - $18 million dead cap and the teams offense has stumbled. Titans window closing.

I think he'll be back but it didnt look like it recently:
    New York - Daniel Jones - Turned it around and looked solid, well at least until that last game. Don't think they'll do better.

Where I think the rookies end up:
    Houston - Bryce Young - #1 QB taken. Combination of arm and legs too much potential to pass up.
    Indianapolis - CJ Stroud - #2 QB taken, though i'd take him over Young.
    Carolina - Will Levis - #3 QB taken, not sure if they'll be able to get him but the fit is there.

Where I think the old timers land plus who takes their spots on their current teams:
    New York - Tom Brady - LV w/JMcD a chance but this team has the pieces and it's a move that only a legend could pull off.
    Las Vegas - Aaron Rodgers - Don't see him as a NYC guy, he's too eccentric and Vegas fits his West coast vibe. +Adams.
    Tampa Bay - Derek Carr - He'll get a gig somewhere - Here, WAS, or NYJ. I think he falls to TB due to musical chairs.
    Green Bay - Jordan Love - If Rodgers leaves I think they'll have to give him a shot, otherwise it was all for nothing.

The Rest
    New England - Mac Jones - They could move on but not sure they'll have many better options available to them.
    Pittsburgh - Kenny Pickett - Wasnt great but showed promise in year 1, he'll get at least another to prove himself.
    San Fransisco - Brock Purdy - On the verge of a SB appearance. He gets them there or wins it they have to keep him.
    Washington - Jimmy Garropollo - He was too good to return to SF as a backup...again. WAS would be a solid fit.
    Seattle - Geno Smith - They've said they want him back. I think the feeling is mutual, but they shouldnt overpay.
    New Orleans - Jameis Winston - I mean...they really don't have much of a choice.
    Atlanta - Desmond Ridder - They gave him a look for the last 4, he went 2-2, completed 63.5%, think they'll stick with him

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 01-26-2023 at 06:06 PM.

Arizona will need a qb to start the season, Murry wont be ready in time.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Arizona will need a qb to start the season, Murry wont be ready in time.
    He won't be ready at any time since he'll obviously be learning another playbook that he hasn't even seen, yet, and once he sees it, there's no telling when he'll actually study it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Apparently Mike Silver published an article about a week ago in the SF Examiner and said that Purdy will be the starter next year in SF unless something crazy happens, and that Lance could be available for a 3rd. Immediately denied by 49's.

AFC East:
    Buffalo: Josh Allen
    Miami: Tua
    NY Jets: Aaron Rodgers
    New England: Mac Jones

AFC North:
    Baltimore: Lamar Jackson
    Cincinnati: Joe Burrow
    Cleveland: DeShaun Watson
    Pittsburgh: Kenny Pickett

AFC South:
    Houston: Bryce Young
    Indianapolis: CJ Stroud
    Jacksonville: Trevor Lawrence
    Tennessee: Ryan Tannehill

AFC West:
    Denver: Russell Wilson
    Kansas City: Patrick Mahomes
    LA Chargers: Justin Herbert
    Las Vegas: Jimmy G

NFC East:
    Dallas: Dak Prescott
    New York Giants: Daniel Jones
    Philadelphia: Jalen Hurts
    Washington: Anthony Richardson

NFC North:
    Chicago: Justin Fields
    Detroit: Jared Goff
    Green Bay: Jordan Love
    Minnesota: Kirk Cousins

NFC South:
    Atlanta: Desmond Ridder
    Carolina: Will Levis
    New Orleans: Jameis Winston
    Tampa Bay: Derek Carr

NFC West:
    Arizona: Colt McCoy then Kyler Murray
    LA Rams: Matt Stafford
    San Fran: Brock Purdy
    Seattle: Geno Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bryce Young will fall probably to #4 teams will pick him apart due to his size and weight...though he could surprise and pack on an additional 10 15 lbs of muscle before the draft. Not many qb's can hang being only 180 lbs.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Bryce Young will fall probably to #4 teams will pick him apart due to his size and weight...though he could surprise and pack on an additional 10 15 lbs of muscle before the draft. Not many qb's can hang being only 180 lbs.
    I’m thinking the Colts will trade up with the Bears and take either Stroud or even Levis.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Washington has reportedly told prospective OC candidates that Sam Howell is their starting QB heading into next season, for what it’s worth. And knowing that organization, it might not be worth much.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’m thinking the Colts will trade up with the Bears and take either Stroud or even Levis.
    No Brady. You think he retires?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I actually thought about putting him in Vegas. But yeah, I could see it. If not either one then a return to Tampa.

Jets seem primed to make a run at Aaron Rodgers by hiring Hackett as OC.

Adam Schefter writes about possibilities of Packers/Rodgers moving on from each other. It sounds as if it will happen this time.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...mains-possible

Schefter earlier said Packers only want to trade hm to an AFC team and they wanted 2 first rounders.

Bill Parcells stated, while laughing, that the JETS should sign Nathanial Hackett in hopes that it can help lure Rodgers to the JETS. A day or two later the first part happens. The JETS are probably all-in on Rodgers. I don't care about anything Saleh says about it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Brady looked like someone falling down a flight of stairs.

Next year he'll look like someone who did trying to climb back up, but only falling down once again and staying there.

He needs to stay down and not get back up.

This is the NFL Defenses talking to Brady:

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Called it. (For now)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-football-good

18. Likes:

JaxRed (02-01-2023)

Turn Off Ads?