Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Bally Sports possible bankruptcy?

Re: Bally Sports possible bankruptcy?

Rob Manfred says MLB will handle team broadcasts if Bally Sports networks miss payments

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred told reporters on Wednesday that if Diamond Sports Group, the company that runs the nationwide array of Bally Sports network, misses its payments to clubs, those clubs will indeed terminate their agreements, at which point the league would look to producing and distributing those games itself.

As Manfred explained MLB's backup plan, the league would try to get the games aired on local cable like usual, while creating a new option for fans to stream local games, which has long been forbidden under the usual RSN structure:

"We've been really clear that if Diamond doesn't pay, under every single one of the broadcast agreements, that creates a termination right and our clubs will proceed to terminate those contracts. In the event that MLB stepped in, what we would do is we would produce the games, we would make use of our asset, the MLB Network, to do that. We would go directly to distributors — meaning Comcast, Charter, the big distributors — and make an agreement to have those games distributed on cable networks.

"We would also be seeking flexibility on the digital side, so that when you look at MLB.tv, you'd go in, you can buy your out-of-market package like you've always had, but you would have the option to buy up into in-market games, which I see as a huge improvement for fans."

When asked if he anticipated MLB would be able to replace 100 percent of the revenue that teams were due to receive, Manfred responded simply "not in the short term."

The following teams' local broadcast rights are owned by Bally Sports networks: the Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Guardians, Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, Minnesota Twins, San Diego Padres, St. Louis Cardinals, Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Rays.
    Full Story Here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ts/ar-AA17xyGp

2. Likes:

BCubb2003 (02-15-2023),CesarGeronimo (02-15-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

MLB says Bally Sports’ troubles could lead to end of blacked-out games
    As baseball prepares for a possible local broadcasting crisis, Commissioner Rob Manfred sees an opportunity.

Manfred said Thursday that Major League Baseball can produce games digitally in conjunction with MLB.TV if Bally Sports regional networks are no longer broadcasting them. In fact, he said this is a chance to address the game blackouts that inspire so much anger among fans.

Manfred acknowledged some teams could be at risk of losing revenue, depending on the status of their regional sports networks, and that MLB is prepared to help.

“You know, we have a pretty good balance sheet in central baseball,” he said. "I think it’s safe to assume that we will provide every support that we possibly can to those clubs that are at risk.”

Manfred said MLB's willingness to step in aggressively if the Bally networks can no longer broadcast is driven partly by the fact that it would give baseball a chance to fix blackout issues.
    Currently, a game might be unavailable digitally in the market of the competing teams if a RSN has exclusive rights in that area.

If a regional network like Bally is no longer broadcasting, Manfred said the games can be offered digitally or perhaps within a cable bundle.

“From a fan's perspective, while it may not be whatever channel is your traditional RSN, if you think about it from a reach perspective, the games being available digitally, in-market is something fans have been screaming for for years,” he said.
    Story Here:
    https://www.chron.com/sports/article...f-17789675.php

5. Likes:

Chip R (02-17-2023),WildcatFan (02-17-2023)

Hallelujah. End the blackouts

7. Likes:

Chip R (02-17-2023),Ron Madden (02-17-2023),WildcatFan (02-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    MLB says Bally Sports’ troubles could lead to end of blacked-out games
    Story Here:
    https://www.chron.com/sports/article...f-17789675.php
    Since an RSN (Bally) has exclusive broadcast rights in that area, MLB.TV has to black out. And since those RSN's continued existence is now threatened, if Bally goes under, then so does that "exclusive broadcast right" and MLB will no longer have to blackout. I'm hoping that is a correct assumption.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-17-2023),goreds2 (02-17-2023),REDREAD (02-17-2023),Ron Madden (02-17-2023)

Nothing ever improves when MLB takes control

Nothing ever improves when MLB takes control

We stand here today on the precipice of one of the largest downfalls in broadcasting. Diamond Sports Group, the company that owns all of Bally’s regional sports networks, announced Wednesday that it would be skipping its $140 million payment for February.

While bankruptcy is not guaranteed to be the next step, it seems incredibly likely that is where DSG is headed. Without Bally Sports though, who will stream all of our favorite MLB teams’ games? Well have no fear, if worst comes to worst, Rob Manfred and company will have our backs.

Well, that doesn’t sound good at all

continue reading here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ol/ar-AA17AmiN
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-17-2023 at 09:20 AM.

11. Likes:

RedForLife (03-17-2023)

I haven't had an opportunity to watch a Reds game - other than an occasional national broadcast - since 2020. I also have had no intention of switching TV providers to get Bally Sports so I assumed it was a foregone conclusion that I would not have any 2023 Reds games available either.

Perhaps now there's a chance I can see the Reds on TV this season. Perhaps ...

What would be nice to hear is if MLB has a plan to stream the games DTC. Seriously, I would pay for the entire season DTC today. Even as bad as this team aspires to be and as pissed off as I am about Phil C and ownership, I would pay a few hundred bucks for a DTC streaming option to get every game this season.

That's still probably a pipe dream, though.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

13. Likes:

boognish (02-17-2023),Chip R (02-17-2023),HammerTime (02-20-2023),Ron Madden (02-17-2023),wlf WV (03-13-2023)

Haunted by walks

If MLB takes over for Bally, will they keep the same broadcast team, Sadak, Welsh, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    If MLB takes over for Bally, will they keep the same broadcast team, Sadak, Welsh, etc.?
    Welcome to the new world of AI generated sports broadcasting!

16. Likes:

REDREAD (02-17-2023)

What is "dtc" in this context?

Is mlb.tv package, either on cable or streamed thru smart tv or streaming stick, not an available option?

Quote Originally Posted by JustTom View Post

Is mlb.tv package, either on cable or streamed thru smart tv or streaming stick, not an available option?
    It's presently not an option if you live in the Cincinnati blackout zone. I think that'll change if Bally blows up

I think dtc refers to Direct to Customer. /in other words, skip Bally, ESPN etc. MLB.tv direct to customer

Quote Originally Posted by JustTom View Post

DTC = Direct to Consumer. Buying an mlb.tv package is essentially the same as buying baseball DTC.

However, I'm in the Greater Cincinnati blackout zone so Reds games are blacked out for me if I were to purchase mlb.tv. I could watch any other MLB game, but not the Reds.

If MLB eliminated the blackout zones and enabled me to see the Reds on mlb.tv, then I'd buy mlb.tv instantly.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

21. Likes:

GAC (02-17-2023),wlf WV (03-13-2023)

duplicate
    Last edited by jimbroznan; 02-17-2023 at 10:21 AM.

I really don't understand how MLB could take over for Bally. I assume it works like Bally gives the Reds $60 million for the rights to broadcast the games, Bally then attempts to sells Sports Ohio broadcast to Spectrum/ATT/DirectTV in the Red's broadcast area for XX$,
    Spectrum/ATT/DirectTV then add Bally Sports Ohio to their cable package and increase the price of the package. It is my understanding that the RSNs are second to ESPN in cost to the cable subscribers costing on average $6 month. So what happens if Bally goes bankrupt and does not give Reds that $60 million? Will MLB assume the contracts Bally have with Spectrum/ATT/DirectTV and use that money to give t $60 million to the Reds? If MLB assumes the contracts won't they too lose a lot of money as cable companies continue to lose subscribers? If they went to streaming would they bypass the cable companies and just have a MLB.TV subscription? Right now I get MLB.TV in Austin, I am in the Astros/Rangers territory. I have Spectrum cable which has not been able to reach agreement with the Astros RSN for about 10 years, so no Astro games here unless you have ATT/DirectTV. The point of the blackout is it makes the RSN more valuable to the cable companies since if you are a Reds fan in Covington you will have to subscribe to a cable company/streaming service that carries Bally Sports Ohio. If you could watch on MLB.TV you could cancel your cable subscription.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (02-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    I really don't understand how MLB could take over for Bally. I assume it works like Bally gives the Reds $60 million for the rights to broadcast the games, Bally then attempts to sells Sports Ohio broadcast to Spectrum/ATT/DirectTV in the Red's broadcast area for XX$,
    Spectrum/ATT/DirectTV then add Bally Sports Ohio to their cable package and increase the price of the package. It is my understanding that the RSNs are second to ESPN in cost to the cable subscribers costing on average $6 month. So what happens if Bally goes bankrupt and does not give Reds that $60 million? Will MLB assume the contracts Bally have with Spectrum/ATT/DirectTV and use that money to give t $60 million to the Reds? If MLB assumes the contracts won't they too lose a lot of money as cable companies continue to lose subscribers? If they went to streaming would they bypass the cable companies and just have a MLB.TV subscription? Right now I get MLB.TV in Austin, I am in the Astros/Rangers territory. I have Spectrum cable which has not been able to reach agreement with the Astros RSN for about 10 years, so no Astro games here unless you have ATT/DirectTV. The point of the blackout is it makes the RSN more valuable to the cable companies since if you are a Reds fan in Covington you will have to subscribe to a cable company/streaming service that carries Bally Sports Ohio.
    I'm thinking MLB wouldn't get involved with cable tv but do them all over MLB.tv. Problem is who sets up the cameras, hires the announcers etc? That seems like quite an undertaking

26. Likes:

wlf WV (03-13-2023)

Turn Off Ads?