Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nick Senzel named Reds’ every day centerfielder?

Re: Nick Senzel named Reds’ every day centerfielder

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Before the discussion continues, can we all just agree that the article doesn't claim what this thread title says that it does?

There are so many actual things to get negative/critical about, we don't need to invent them.
    This is a good point, but it's sad state of affairs that Senzel would still be in the running for a starting role. Who is likely to start in CF? I see that Rotowire projects Mike Siani as the starter with his .700 OPS in 1,494 minor league at bats.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd say there is no way the Reds CF or RF spots are set in stone.
    You can think that about RF, but Krall has already said that Myers is going to play RF pretty much every day.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Before the discussion continues, can we all just agree that the article doesn't claim what this thread title says that it does?

There are so many actual things to get negative/critical about, we don't need to invent them.
    Then the title needs to be changed.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Then the title needs to be changed.
    The headline was actually from NBC Sports Edge. Looks like they nay have got it wrong.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I think he'll have a futility role.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

REDREAD (01-31-2023)

What!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the actual quote from David Bell

Unlike Votto, who will be Cincinnati’s regular first baseman, Senzel was expected to have to compete in camp to retain his role as the center fielder. Bell was scheduled to have a call with Senzel this week.

“I want to hear from him exactly where he is,” Bell said. “I’m hearing good reports. He’s feeling good. I’m planning on him being ready for Opening Day. I still believe -- and Nick Senzel does as well -- that he can play all over the field and be an everyday player, but with where we are as a team, he still factors into center field a lot.

“If something were to change there, I think Nick would be ready to incorporate more positions. Right now, we’re kind of going into the season where we left off. He’s still going to have to play center field, so that would be the focus right now.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-v...-injury-update

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Here's the actual quote from David Bell

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-v...-injury-update
    It does explain my reaction as I was shocked that a statement like that would be made in January, as I couldn't believe it, even for the REDS at this point. We have a much better Manager than that. I'm actually glad he's here to steer this ship, kind of like Bligh in the dingy getting those who left with him back to civilization.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I think Senzel should be DFA’d. Whatever potential may be left - the Reds aren’t the team to unlock it.

That said, in a lost season, I actually don’t have a problem with throwing him out there and see if he can drum up some trade deadline value. We got a TON for Tyler Naquin a few months ago.

I like a Fairchild/Friedl platoon as much as the next guy - but that’s not special. Siani still has some untapped upside, but he’s probably a 4th OF long-term and he needs some AAA at-bats anyway.

I guess… my first choice is a DFA - but if I’m not getting that, then sure, let him play CF. Where are we gonna go?

Oh yeah, thanks, the Friechild combo in CF. I'd rather see that than Senzel again. Well, not see exactly, because Bally is the devil and Phil is worse. I'll read about them on ESPN com and here. Thank you for all that so many of you share.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    So we still need to figure out who is starting in CF mid April when Senzel makes his first trip to the IL.
    1. Grounds worm-killer through hole into LF on Opening Day.
    2. Contemplating "stay aggressive" base-running strategy stressed pre-game, strays too far off 1B.
    3. Picked off, jamming hand diving back to bag.
    4. Four fingers dislocated.
    5. Out till mid-July.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-31-2023),REDREAD (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    1. Grounds worm-killer through hole into LF on Opening Day.
    2. Contemplating "stay aggressive" base-running strategy stressed pre-game, strays too far off 1B.
    3. Picked off, jamming hand diving back to bag.
    4. Four fingers dislocated.
    5. Out till mid-July.
    And get paid almost $2 million for that unfortunate routine. Pete Rose had more hits in 1973 than Senzel had in 2019, 20, 21, and 22 combined.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-31-2023),malcontent (01-31-2023),REDREAD (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    And get paid almost $2 million for that unfortunate routine. Pete Rose had more hits in 1973 than Senzel had in 2019, 20, 21, and 22 combined.
    I’ll bet Senzel hit more grounders to short though.

And guy from earlier, lay off of the Fairchild/Friedl platoon. It’ll give you almost average defense and a 100 OPS+ on the aggregate. That’s literally universes ahead of what Senzel will give you.

Siani is the most talented OF on the 40-man roster. Start Senzel for 6 weeks with Siani in AAA and the make the move to Siani. It’s whatever. Fraley and Myers are making the 26-man roster and I’d be pretty shocked if Solak misses the cut. Friedl has options, but I think he’ll be there. Siani is a lock for AAA unless he murders Spring Training. Why not Fairchild? Is he worse than Senzel?

Re: Nick Senzel named Reds’ every day centerfielder?

All of this is moot.

Senzel never makes it through Spring Training (which, unfortunately, doesn't stop the REDS from Starting him and wasting a 25-man and 40-man roster spot).

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd say there is no way the Reds CF or RF spots are set in stone.
    It's musical chairs anymore. Insert player here.

In my lifetime (soon to be 67)), I never thought I'd see the day when I'd see such a terrible OF lineup of players whose name I can't remember ... and in most cases don't want to. Sad.

Maybe it's to my benefit that I am unable to watch Reds games on TV lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Re: Nick Senzel named Reds’ every day centerfielder?

All of this agnst over someone, who if named starter, won't last two games before he is injured and will no longer be the starter.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

HokieRed (01-31-2023),Kingspoint (01-31-2023),NebraskaRed (01-31-2023),Revering4Blue (02-03-2023)

Turn Off Ads?