Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spencer Steer eyes starting job at third base

Spencer Steer eyes starting job at third base

Spencer Steer eyes starting job at third base
    When he gets to Spring Training Reds infielder Spencer Steer knows he has to earn his roster spot. Steer will be aiming for more than that, especially knowing there is a wide-open vacancy at third base, the position where he has the most experience.

“Third base seems like the most realistic for me," Steer said Saturday just before stepping on stage for a Reds Caravan event. "I’m going to do everything I can to win that spot. I think it’s doable and attainable. That will be my focus: getting into that lineup and staying in that lineup.”

Acquired by a rebuilding Cincinnati team in the Aug. 2 trade that sent pitcher Tyler Mahle to the Twins, Steer was the only big league-ready prospect out of the near-dozen acquired through a multitude of trades last year. He debuted a month later on Sept. 2.

In a dream-like beginning, Steer was 2-for-2 with a home run for his first hit, and he reached safely four times. He also scored the game-winning run in a 3-2 walk-off win over the Rockies. The rest of Steer’s first month in the Majors proved challenging, as he batted .211 with a .632 OPS and two homers in 28 games.

Upon returning home to Southern California, the 25-year-old Steer had time to reflect on the experience.

"I was honestly a little disappointed with myself, because I feel like I got out of character a little bit," Steer said. "I felt like I let the stage and the moment become a little bigger than what it should have been. I tried to do too much, too early. Coming to a new organization -- I had never met the coaching staff or any of these guys -- I tried too hard to kind of prove myself. I stepped out of what I’m good at."

The good news is that Steer got all of the big league firsts out of the way, and in 2023, most of the faces in the clubhouse will be familiar ones.

"I’m looking forward to learning from that and coming to Spring Training having a full offseason of making adjustments and reflecting," he said. "I don’t think anybody establishes themselves as a player the first month. It’s more of a longevity kind of thing. It’s consistency over a long period of time rather than a really good month. I got caught in that trap a little bit. I learned a lot from that month. I will use that to my advantage.”

The Reds released underperforming veteran third baseman Mike Moustakas earlier this month, with one year and $22 million left on his contract, and they did not retain free agent infielder Donovan Solano. Steer, who played 14 of his games at third base for the Reds and also played first base and second base, could compete for third base with Alejo Lopez and non-roster invite Matt Reynolds.

During his travels on the southern leg of Reds Caravan throughout Kentucky, Steer was wearing the No. 12 Reds jersey he had last season. In 2023, he will wear No. 7, and catcher Curt Casali will assume the No. 12 he wore previously with Cincinnati from 2019-20.

“He’s been here before, so I’d obviously give that number to him," Steer said. "I wore No. 7 in college, and it worked out that the number was available.”
    Read Full Story Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/spencer-ste...third-base-job

2. Likes:

goreds2 (01-29-2023),icehole3 (01-30-2023),NebraskaRed (01-29-2023),Old school 1983 (01-29-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-29-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spencer Steer eyes starting job at third base

I'm rooting for Spencer Steer, I think he always has good AB's and hope he wins a starting job.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (01-29-2023),HokieRed (01-30-2023),Kingspoint (01-30-2023),muddie (01-30-2023),NebraskaRed (01-29-2023),Old school 1983 (01-30-2023),OldFashionedRed (01-29-2023),SidneySlicker (01-31-2023),Tuff Nut (01-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm rooting for Spencer Steer, I think he always has good AB's and hope he wins a starting job.
    Same here, Ron. Really seemed to get into the at-bats. Some guys just get up there and look like they have the whole series to get a hit, no biggie. Not Spencer.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

7. Likes:

goreds2 (01-29-2023),Ron Madden (01-30-2023),SidneySlicker (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I guess I agree - mostly because Steer not winning the starting job would mean having to watch Alejo Lopez and Matt Reynolds bat 700 times… Its cute that we’re saying he has to “earn” the spot. I think that means being healthy and not committing any felonies between now and Opening Day

They call me "chef"

Totally forgot this guy actually played on the big league team last year. What a horrible season/major league team.

10. Likes:

Chip R (02-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    I guess I agree - mostly because Steer not winning the starting job would mean having to watch Alejo Lopez and Matt Reynolds bat 700 times… Its cute that we’re saying he has to “earn” the spot. I think that means being healthy and not committing any felonies between now and Opening Day
    Should Steer pull a Barrero, Senzel would probably be moved to third for the season, then India moved in 2024 for McLain.

Either way, woof.

The lack of talent on the Red major league team is eye-opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Should Steer pull a Barrero, Senzel would probably be moved to third for the season, then India moved in 2024 for McLain.

Either way, woof.

The lack of talent on the Red major league team is eye-opening.
    Happily, I think Steer has a pretty high floor. At the least, I’ll bet he can provide adequate defense and and OPS+ in the 90s. Senzel can’t.

What about long term? CES doesn’t look like he’s going to be able to field that position. Maybe Marte? Move India there and try McClain at 2B? His (McClain’s) bat might play there.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-30-2023)

Happily, I think Steer has a pretty high floor. At the least, I’ll bet he can provide adequate defense and and OPS+ in the 90s. Senzel can’t.

What about long term? CES doesn’t look like he’s going to be able to field that position. Maybe Marte? Move India there and try McClain at 2B? His (McClain’s) bat might play there.
    Encarnacion-Strand has actually gotten pretty solid reviews on his defense. He worked on it throughout the past season, and something clicked about two months in. He went from an extreme defensive liability at 3B to someone most prognosticators believe can stick there.

Beyond him, there's Marte (who is likely moving to the position this season in AA), EDLC (who is supposedly capable of playing an elite 3B), India (who doesn't belong anywhere near 2B), and perhaps Ivan Johnson (good pop, low BA, little patience) or Francisco Urbaez (good hit tool, little power, decent patience, weak arm).

Basically, it's Steer for at least half a season, then likely CES. Marte would be next in line, then... Collier?

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-30-2023)

...as he should.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Encarnacion-Strand has actually gotten pretty solid reviews on his defense. He worked on it throughout the past season, and something clicked about two months in. He went from an extreme defensive liability at 3B to someone most prognosticators believe can stick there.

Beyond him, there's Marte (who is likely moving to the position this season in AA), EDLC (who is supposedly capable of playing an elite 3B), India (who doesn't belong anywhere near 2B), and perhaps Ivan Johnson (good pop, low BA, little patience) or Francisco Urbaez (good hit tool, little power, decent patience, weak arm).

Basically, it's Steer for at least half a season, then likely CES. Marte would be next in line, then... Collier?
    I agree that Collier is the long term 3B (obviously). I think CES ends up at 1B/LF/DH. I heard he made some strides defensively, but you have to be skeptical that he can hold down the hot corner. He has an MLB bat tho, so I’m sure they’ll find a place for him. Where does this leave us at 2B?

Long term, I’m thinking:

1B/DH: CES/Stephenson
    2B: McClain
    SS: Arroyo
    3B: Collier
    LF: Marte
    CF: EDLC
    RF: Sal Stewart??
    C: oh man, there’s no one.

Just move India to LF now and if he produces like his rookie year you have him for at least 2 more years before he goes into his sixth year. You can still try and buy out a couple of his arb years. Maybe 1 year if FA. Or try and get more pitching for him before his 6th year. Still not buying into this team going full Tampa mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Just move India to LF now and if he produces like his rookie year you have him for at least 2 more years before he goes into his sixth year. You can still try and buy out a couple of his arb years. Maybe 1 year if FA. Or try and get more pitching for him before his 6th year. Still not buying into this team going full Tampa mode.
    India was halfway okay at 2B in 2021. He was an abomination in 2022, but maybe that was partially injury-related?

I don’t know. He’s probably not a MLB 2B. And frankly, he’ll need that juicy .380 OBP to be a productive hitter. I don’t think he’s gonna be a 30-HR guy.

Man I dunno… he had years of minor league mediocrity followed by one insanely productive MLB year followed by an injury-plagued slog in 2022. If he starts hot in 2023, I’d think about a trade. An extension for this player seems pretty risky for a club that apparently can’t afford Kyle Farmer…

I agree that Collier is the long term 3B (obviously). I think CES ends up at 1B/LF/DH. I heard he made some strides defensively, but you have to be skeptical that he can hold down the hot corner. He has an MLB bat tho, so I’m sure they’ll find a place for him. Where does this leave us at 2B?

Long term, I’m thinking:

1B/DH: CES/Stephenson
    2B: McClain
    SS: Arroyo
    3B: Collier
    LF: Marte
    CF: EDLC
    RF: Sal Stewart??
    C: oh man, there’s no one.
    It depends on how long you're talking.

The team you're setting up here is likely post-2026. That means no India or Stephenson. Collier and Stewart are long-term assets likely ready by 2027, at best. (Fangraphs has both ready in 2028.) Neither has had more than a handful of professional PAs in Arizona. It's doubtful either is ready before 2027, at the earliest.

That means you've got at least a couple of drafts to pick up college guys to supliment what's in the system-- and for system guys to show out what they might be able to do. For example, Christian Roa hasn't had a fully healthy season since being drafted. His last few months were quite solid. Might be a sneaky good arm. Same for Yerlin Confidan, who was the MVP of the ACL in 2021, but was hurt early in 2022 and never got on-track. In short, there are so many variables that making that prediction is nearly impossible. Especially if, as you've said on the minor league thread, you largely ignore anything short-season and below.

If this is meant to be the 2026 team (with India and Stephenson still Reds), then I'd go:
    DH Tyler Stephenson
    C Daniel Vellojin
    1B Christian Encarnacion-Strand
    2B Edwin Arroyo
    SS Elly De La Cruz
    3B Noelvi Marte
    LF Jake Fraley
    CF Michael Siani/ Jay Allen
    RF Spencer Steer

UT Matt McLain
    C Cade Hunter/ Logan Tanner
    OF TJ Friedl
    OF Stuart Fairchild

SP Hunter Greene
    SP Nick Lodolo
    SP Graham Ashcraft
    SP Andrew Abbott
    SP Chase Petty

RP Alexis Diaz
    RP Joe Boyle
    RP Connor Phillips
    RP Brandon Williamson
    RP Levi Stoudt
    RP Tony Santillan
    RP Lyon Richardson
    RP Christian Roa

Assuming typical one-season progressions, Edwin Arroyo, Yerlin Confidan, Andrew Moore, Bryce Hubbart, Javi Rivera, Jose Acosta, and Steve Hajjar would be rookies. Fangraphs says Carlos Jorge's ETA is 2026-- he's someone to watch. I assume Arroyo may take McLain's place at 2B. Too, guys like Rece Hinds, Austin Hendrick, Jay Allen, and Allan Cerda will be given a shot in the OF-- particularly in RF. Each is likely to get at least a few hundreds PAs to see what they can do, beginning either next season or later this year.

This team, as constructed, has some really nice, intriguing pieces that might compete for a pennant. India, Stephenson, and Fraley are all quality bats-- or at least have been in relatively small samples. The depth is exceptional. If EDLC, Marte, and/or CES develop into solidly above average bats, that team should be good enough to win 90+. RF and C are the weak spots, of course, but that team is largely super cheap-- they could afford a league average FA at both spots remarkably easily.

Of course, this is the Reds we're talking about. India, Stephenson, and Fraley would be in their free agent seasons-- they'd all likely be gone, replaced by prospects further down the line. That'd open up spots for Confidan, Hendrick, Hinds, or Cerda-- which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

22. Likes:

redsfan9988 (01-31-2023)

Every RED is auditioning for a future contract with another Major League Club, and has been for years (except Votto and Larkin).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?