Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spencer Steer eyes starting job at third base

Re: Spencer Steer eyes starting job at third base

Big Hype Prospects:

Spencer Steer, 25, 3B, CIN (MLB)
    (AA/AAA) 427 PA, 23 HR, 4 SB, .274/.364/.515

Acquired as part of the return in the Tyler Mahle trade, Steer looks the part of a future second-division starter or frequently-used utility man.

The Reds are in a year of transition with Steer eyeing a role as the regular third baseman. Long-term, he’ll need to contend with the likes of Elly De La Cruz, Edwin Arroyo, Noelvi Marte, and Matt McLain – whichever among those doesn’t take over at shortstop.

Steer is considered a well-rounded hitter with a feel for contact, above-average plate discipline, and an ability to pop mistakes.

The cozy confines of Great American Ballpark should help his power production. One question he’ll need to answer relates to his consistency of contact quality. In a 108-plate appearance trial last season, Steer posted an 84.7-mph average and 104.4-mph max exit velocity, which were well below Major League average.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...man-steer.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    IAnd frankly, he’ll need that juicy .380 OBP to be a productive hitter. I don’t think he’s gonna be a 30-HR guy.
    I have more faith he hits 30 HRs some day than him repeating that .380 OBP.

Steer working on defense amid third base battle

Competing to be the Reds’ everyday third baseman, Spencer Steer knows he needs to clean it up defensively.

Steer, the Reds’ No. 5 prospect, came to camp as the favorite to land the job, but his mistakes have been noticeable in the field. He has been charged with four errors in 12 games this spring for an .800 fielding percentage.

“It’s been a tough stretch," Steer said. "I think everyone goes through a tough stretch here and there. I can’t say it’s mental or a lack of preparation. I feel like it’s just a rough patch that I’m trying to fight through.”

Steer was at an infield practice area at the team complex in Goodyear on Saturday morning taking hard grounders hit by bench coach Freddie Benavides. On most days, the 25-year-old is working with infield coach Jeff Pickler.

Besides Steer, the Reds are looking at non-roster invite Jason Vosler and utility player Chad Pinder to play third base.

At the plate, Steer has been stronger and is batting .267 with an .853 OPS, one home run, four doubles and six RBIs in 12 games.

Reds manager David Bell has noted that no decisions have been made yet about the position.

"[Steer is] getting every opportunity to play over there. We love having him," Bell said.

What Bell and the club would like to see is the hard work Steer has put in to show up in games.

"He’s had a lot of different kinds of plays, which is good. He is still trying to settle in at third," Bell said. "He has all the ability to be able to play there. He has plenty of arm. He has good hands. He moves well. He’s played over there quite a bit, so he just continues to keep working at it and hopefully get enough plays in Spring Training where he can feel ready, like he’s made them all."

"I’ve played third base at a high level in the past, and know that I can do it," he said. "Making it simple, just going out there and making plays and not thinking about anything else but that. When the ball is hit to you, make the play.”

story here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/spence...pring-training
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-18-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Steer working on defense amid third base battle
    story here:
    Putting a journeyman vet at 3b with Steer in camp would be infuriating. Let the kids take their lumps.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I have more faith he hits 30 HRs some day than him repeating that .380 OBP.
    I honestly don’t know what to make of Steer. I’m not convinced he’ll ever be a first-division starter, but the Reds should give him a year to prove me wrong. He needs to be very good defensively if we wants to get his at bats once McLain, EDLC and Marte move up.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Reds manager David Bell has noted that no decisions have been made yet about the position.

I think it's safe to assume he can say that about several positions on that field as we enter the new season.

IMO, it's going to be an interesting '23 season to observe. They're already a last place team, so I guess the only direction they can go is up (maybe).

Definitely will need a program to learn whose on this team.

I'm figuring Bell will be doing some platooning with players depending on whose pitching that day. Bell likes to tinker.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm figuring Bell will be doing some platooning with players depending on whose pitching that day. Bell likes to tinker.
    Not sure about that.

I've got two positions (maybe three, with DH) that could be platooned.

The others don't really work.

Too many IF who hit RH and too many OF who hit LH.

steer will be more than fine defensively at 3B, IMO. frankly, guys like steer working on their defense is one of the most underrated things about spring training. a lot of us (i'm guilty too) focus on who is/isn't hitting and pitching well. but a guy like steer really honing in and working hard on his defense at an important position like the hot corner is huge. it's not talked about enough. and you can really make strides in that area during a 6-week spring training like steer seems to be doing. i like his attitude and overall makeup.

also, 4 errors in 14 games is an extremely high (bad) percentage ... i get that. it's also a very small sample size. i'll be surprised if steer isn't at least an average defensive third baseman this year, and i think he will be better than that. i definitely want to see him get the chance to start over guys like pinder and vosler (who were solid non-invitees, granted, but i still want steer in there as the starter most days unless he proves he can't handle it).

So, is Matt Reynolds going to be handed his job (or someone else's) when he returns from in the injury list?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So, is Matt Reynolds going to be handed his job (or someone else's) when he returns from in the injury list?
    hopefully matt reynolds never sees a reds uniform this year. only way he would be called up is if guys like steer fail and/or injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    hopefully matt reynolds never sees a reds uniform this year. only way he would be called up is if guys like steer fail and/or injuries.
    I'll take Reynolds all day over Pinder. He's the coveted right handed hitting infielder/outfielder

15. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-20-2023),Ron Madden (03-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I'll take Reynolds all day over Pinder. He's the coveted right handed hitting infielder/outfielder
    I thought Reynolds played ok infield and outfield defense as a utility player for the Reds last season from what I can remember

It feels like someone made up their mind that Pinder should be on this team no matter what.

18. Likes:

757690 (03-20-2023)

I hate to say it but Steer's a placeholder. Someone else - McLain, Marte, Cam Collier - will be playing 3rd in a couple years

20. Likes:

JCM11 (03-20-2023),mth123 (03-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Deagle View Post
    I hate to say it but Steer's a placeholder. Someone else - McLain, Marte, Cam Collier - will be playing 3rd in a couple years
    In a couple years maybe they can use Steer as a utility player 1B, 2B,3B and corner OF.

22. Likes:

mth123 (03-20-2023)

Turn Off Ads?