Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

Colts have requested a 2nd Interview with Callahan. That would be a much better job than with the Cardinals.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...brian-callahan
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2023 at 06:05 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I posted the spotrac salaries of everyone, so you can see Jonah's. Williams doesn't have to get paid in Cincinnati, and if we can't trade him, he doesn't have to get paid to play LT. He's definitely tradeable.
    I don't see him having much value or a team being interested in him...he has to get stronger this offseason. Ultimately I think he eventually switches to guard.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I don't see him having much value or a team being interested in him...he has to get stronger this offseason. Ultimately I think he eventually switches to guard.
    Quality LT's are so rare in the NFL that teams are willing to take a chance on a mediocre one that was a former high 1st Round pick going on his 2nd contract. The Bengals are considering it, as desperate as they are for one to protect Joe Burrow, so why not half a dozen other teams? If I remember from the Spotrac posting, there's a $4M or $5M cap hit if the Bengals move Williams.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2023 at 06:06 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I would cut Boyd and Mixon and draft a WR in one of the first 3 rounds and a RB around there too. I'd rather pay Pratt than Boyd. Or if not Pratt, save that money for Higgins. He's more valuable than Boyd and Mixon combined IMO.
    Boyd produces when given the chance.
    Won't be hard for him to find a team.

6. Likes:

sdwagers (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Boyd produces when given the chance.
    Won't be hard for him to find a team.
    He'll be highly coveted. He was underused this season as the #3 WR on the team and their usage of formations that didn't require him, in addition to him sharing time with Irwin.

But, the reason for cutting Boyd is to open things up for Irwin, in addition to Irwin being much cheaper in future years. Boyd's next contract is unaffordable, so moving on now is a real option.

Going for it again with Boyd is an easy decision, but if they could find $1M here, $2M there, $500K somewhere else, $3M somewhere to help offset what it would take to retain Bates under the tag for one more year and/or upgrade at LT next season with a Free Agent or trade, then I let Irwin take Boyd's snaps and find another to take Irwin's. We can also draft a TE in the 1st Round and run more two TE sets with Hurst and the 1st Round TE, which removes Boyd from the equation altogether. Boyd's role was already reduced with Hurst's addition. Even the use of two RB's in the backfield at the same time like they tried vs K.C. takes Boyd out of the equation.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2023 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He'll be highly coveted. He was underused this season as the #3 WR on the team and their usage of formations that didn't require him, in addition to him sharing time with Irwin.

But, the reason for cutting Boyd is to open things up for Irwin, in addition to Irwin being much cheaper in future years. Boyd's next contract is unaffordable, so moving on now is a real option.

Going for it again with Boyd is an easy decision, but if they could find $1M here, $2M there, $500K somewhere else, $3M somewhere to help offset what it would take to retain Bates under the tag for one more year and/or upgrade at LT next season with a Free Agent or trade, then I let Irwin take Boyd's snaps and find another to take Irwin's. We can also draft a TE in the 1st Round and run more two TE sets with Hurst and the 1st Round TE, which removes Boyd from the equation altogether. Boyd's role was already reduced with Hurst's addition. Even the use of two RB's in the backfield at the same time like they tried vs K.C. takes Boyd out of the equation.

If you are planning on Irwin replacing Boyd, get ready for more teams to do what KC did last night in doubling Higgins and Chase.

If they let Boyd go, hope that Jaxon Smith-Ngiba, Jordan Addison or Jaylin Hyatt are available at the end of round 1. Or even Josh Downs or Rashee Rice in later rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

9. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-31-2023)

Offensively, I want a stud running back. That would open up everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Offensively, I want a stud running back. That would open up everything.
    They could have Adrian Peterson in his prime and it would solve nothing behind this offensive line.

There are some good options. I’m high on Jahmyr Gibbs and could see him being an option in the second round.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They could have Adrian Peterson in his prime and it would solve nothing behind this offensive line.

There are some good options. I’m high on Jahmyr Gibbs and could see him being an option in the second round.
    The O line was solid when healthy...obviously you would like to upgrade Williams and Collins if able.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023),Old school 1983 (01-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The O line was solid when healthy...obviously you would like to upgrade Williams and Collins if able.
    I think Carman is a viable option at one of those spots. In reality they’ll need both him and Williams until Collins makes it back.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If you are planning on Irwin replacing Boyd, get ready for more teams to do what KC did last night in doubling Higgins and Chase.

If they let Boyd go, hope that Jaxon Smith-Ngiba, Jordan Addison or Jaylin Hyatt are available at the end of round 1. Or even Josh Downs or Rashee Rice in later rounds.
    I think the Bengals can easily come up with a plan to offset teams trying to double both Higgins and Chase. Not worried about that, especially when the running game improves with the addition of Cappa and Collins (later in the year), and if we draft the TE everyone projects us to do. If they want to double both of them and we run more 12-personnel sets, then that Defense will get exposed quickly with so many quality options available for Burrow to choose from.

A lot of Raven and Steeler fans are waiting for the Bengals to get into cap trouble. They think Brown might not even sign Burrow. Not even bringing up the naming of stadiums right to get more money. Acting like they never signed Palmer to a Top 5 contract for several years. They assume he would not pay for Palmer. They won’t pay for Burrow. The cap keeps going up and they can stretch out the money for Burrow.

Another off-season where the realistic goal is to win a Super Bowl.

Life is good for a Bengals' fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    A lot of Raven and Steeler fans are waiting for the Bengals to get into cap trouble. They think Brown might not even sign Burrow. Not even bringing up the naming of stadiums right to get more money. Acting like they never signed Palmer to a Top 5 contract for several years. They assume he would not pay for Palmer. They won’t pay for Burrow. The cap keeps going up and they can stretch out the money for Burrow.
    It's easy for the Steelers as they have no talent.

The Ravens have only one choice....go into cap hell or draft a QB in the 1st Round. I see Bucky Brooks thinks the Ravens will do the latter.

If they'll pay for Peko and Maualuga, they'll pay for Chase and Burrow and Higgins. Heck, they paid Mixon $12M, and he's a RB, a position that's not coveted in the league anymore, at least not to the point that anyone should be paid that much unless he's a Top-3 RB, and even then, it's very risky due to potential injuries.

There's no doubt that they've already penciled in Chase, Higgins and Burrow's salaries to the year 2030 and are working on how to allocate whatever is left towards the other positions. Retaining draft picks and even acquiring more is part of that equation.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2023 at 08:54 PM.

18. Likes:

sdwagers (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Even with a QB making a boatload of cash the Chiefs still are able to pay Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Thuney, Kelce, Valdez Scantling, and Reid.

You have to draft well and hit on some bargain FA's

Bengals have to be creative with their cap though and contracts something they have been reluctant to do in the past.

20. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-31-2023),RiverRat13 (01-31-2023)

Bengals have hit on more FA in the last 2 years than they have in their whole history. Pretty much everyone but that 1 oft I jured CB have been great. Fit in perfectly. I can only hope whoever is making those decisions continues to do so.

I think they can work with Joe to structure the contract to help fit as many players in. Definitely no reaching in the draft like they did during that terrible 2015 draft.

Also is there some stadium issue coming up in 2026 that is due to taxes or something? Is that still an ongoing issue with Brown and the county.

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?