Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    https://www.outkick.com/nfl-annual-m...at-a-standoff/

But a funny thing has happened to Williams en route to being traded: No one has so far been interested in giving up a high draft pick for the 25-year-old player.

“He’s not a big man with long arms and he plays like it,” one NFL general manager told OutKick. “He might not even be a tackle.”
    No surprise. I’m not even sure where I stand in this situation now. Would it better for the Bengals to trade him for virtually nothing or keep the disgruntled player for one more year? I’m guessing he’ll be back this year with his tail between his legs after realizing no other team values him.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-01-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Jonah gets a lot of deserved heat here, but I can cut him some slack given he dislocated both of his knees last season and pretty much played through it the first time. He isn't great and this is a weird attitude he's having, but I'm not just not going to get up in arms about a guy who has given that kind of effort.
    What kind of effort? The effort that ranked him last in most categories among left tackles over the last four seasons?

The lack of self-evaluation that couldn't see the writing on the wall and wants to run away the first time he's asked to prove himself?

He was handed a job he never earned for four straight seasons, and the first time he's asked to earn his job, he runs away like a little baby.

I have zero sympathy for him. If he thinks so highly of himself, then he'd have the cahones to come in, earn the RT job in training camp, hold onto the job in the regular season by playing better than he ever did at LT, and then he'll have created a market for himself next off-season to play either LT or RT, and right now, the only thing he's done, as far as effort is concerned, is shown that he has no market.

I wanted to be a professional baseball player, but when I knew it wasn't going to happen, I didn't whine about it and make a fuss (and I was never handed a 3rd Base job for four seasons that I never earned). So, no. I have zero sympathy for Jonah Williams and I'm pretty pissed at him for not appreciating all that the Bengals did for him the last four seasons. He owes us one season where he actually has to earn his job at a position that the team feels he best fits.

Suck it up and be a man, Jonah, and earn your paycheck.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Redhook (03-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    No surprise. I’m not even sure where I stand in this situation now. Would it better for the Bengals to trade him for virtually nothing or keep the disgruntled player for one more year? I’m guessing he’ll be back this year with his tail between his legs after realizing no other team values him.
    I figured before this started is that the Bengals would have to pay half his salary in order to move him, and in return, they could get a 5th Rd pick for this season or a 4th Rd pick for 2024. From the Bengals' viewpoint, they can let some time go by and let the reality set it, let him cool off, possibly hope that he sees his situation for what it is (he needs to prove himself capable of playing Tackle, Right or Left, this season, and then he can offer his services next year and see what his value is, as he won't have the $12M price tag attached to his signing), and that Williams is insurance in case Carmen doesn't prove to be better than Williams at RT, and/or Collins doesn't recover in a timely manner from his injury. We also have D'Ante Smith and a possible draft pick who can compete with that spot. When the draft is over, or during the draft and the Bengals have taken a Tackle in the 1st Rd, then Williams could get traded on draft weekend, as Carmen, Smith, Collins and the draft pick would be enough to move on from Williams.

It's up to Williams, in a way what happens. He embraces what opportunities lie before him with the Bengals and his future in the NFL, or he doesn't.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Redhook (03-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Folks doing film review felt he was an above average blocker...here are stats from his rookie season which show a lot of potential.

Irv Smith Jr, compared to other rookie TEs this year:

1st in PFF overall grade, 83.2 (next best 64.0)
    1st in PFF receiving grade, 77.4 (63.4)
    1st in PFF run block grade, 80.9 (79.2)
    1st in yards per route run, 2.03 (1.81)

In 2020 he graded out as a 70.0 overall...

From doing some more reading on him he only played 8 games the last 2 seasons which is a concern (knee thumb and ankle). Plus last season he struggled with catches which could be due to coming back from injuries. Smith has potential can the Bengals unlock it...passes from Burrow help.
    Thank you. I didn't have access to Irv Smith's blocking information and couldn't find it anywhere the last three years. I watched him a lot his rookie season, and it seemed like MIN didn't utilize him as much as a Receiver as I thought they should have. There were a lot of things going on with that Offense that season. So, it was hard to get a read on his results.

But, there's sugar coating or down-grading a run-blocking grade of 80.9 for any TE, yet alone a Rookie, even if it may have only been about 125 run-blocking snaps (my estimate based on my memory of how often he was on the field for run-blocking plays). I questioned all season MIN's play-calling that year. I'd wager to guess that there haven't been five Rookie TE's with run-blocking grades above 80 over the last six seasons. So, for me, this is a great signing. Whoever wins the RT job is going to need some help with run-blocking. On pass-plays, he'll chip and go out, or go straight out. His having missed so much time will have hindered his learning curve for run-blocking. He also changed Coordinators at least twice. He was definitely the best option the Bengals had left, and he fits that upside with Starting experience criteria the Bengals have stayed focused on as far as Free Agents are concerned the last couple of years.

Smith can definitely catch, so that catch-rate should be closer to Boyd's than it will be what it was last season. When we need a 1st Down next season, we can always turn to Boyd or Chase or Higgins. What we have to have is a TE who can quickly split the Safeties for a 20-yard seam pass when they are cheating too much towards Chase and/or Higgins. Smith can definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I see Kingspoint has decided to hate the Smith signing.
    No, no, no, no, no. I wanted more information. I got it. I love the signing. It was the best we could do at TE at this time, while also being a positive signing.

10. Likes:

membengal (04-01-2023)

What kind of effort?
    The effort of playing through a gruesome, incredibly painful injury.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    If Jonah feels blindsided, atleast he now knows how Joe Burrow feels when he plays left tackle.

- - - Updated - - -

The effort of playing through a gruesome, incredibly painful injury.
    Welcome to professional sports. Try being a coal-miner in West Virginia.

Welcome to professional sports. Try being a coal-miner in West Virginia.
    I'm a couple generations out but I can promise my relatives who were would have looked at a dislocated kneecap as a pretty painful injury. Didn't realize you were the talk radio sort.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/70053518007/

"It’s unclear at the moment what Burrow is looking for in this next contract. Bengals owner Mike Brown hinted he liked the way the Chiefs structured Patrick Mahomes’ deal in the number of years the contract extends over. Mahomes signed a 10-year deal worth $450 million in 2020, giving him an average annual value of $45 million. It’s one thing for the Bengals to say they want to model this new deal in a similar way, but it’s not a one-sided process. Burrow and his agent have to agree to it."

I'm a couple generations out but I can promise my relatives who were would have looked at a dislocated kneecap as a pretty painful injury. Didn't realize you were the talk radio sort.
    Dislocated kneecaps are all different. Painful? That's football. To be an issue for four years of sub-par play and some really bad play is not acceptable, nor does it excuse his reaction to the change of position. His reaction does speak more to why he hasn't reached his potential, or even met it halfway. He clearly thinks he's better than he is.

16. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (03-31-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

NFL Rumors
    @nflrums

#Chiefs Travis Kelce: "It hurts my soul" to lose Orlando Brown to the #Bengals.
    7:32am · 31 Mar 2023
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-01-2023)

Katie Blackburn when asked about a Burrow extension:

“We’ve been thinking about it,” Blackburn said. “And so again, we know we’ve had some preliminary discussions, but there’s free agency and such. So, we’ll see if we can get into it a little bit more maybe. But again, well, it’s hard to say exactly what the pace (is) but we hope that there’s something that can get done. We sort of said we won’t talk about it much until there’s something to talk about.”
    She has the GM vague-speak down pat.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

It hurts me to hear this guy talking just like Eli Apple.

Anyways. The Bengals don’t give in to players. Jonah will play or sit. But they will not move him was Mike has no say in it. He can out stubborn anyone and cut a nose to spite a face better than most.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-01-2023)

What kind of effort? The effort that ranked him last in most categories among left tackles over the last four seasons?

The lack of self-evaluation that couldn't see the writing on the wall and wants to run away the first time he's asked to prove himself?

He was handed a job he never earned for four straight seasons, and the first time he's asked to earn his job, he runs away like a little baby.

I have zero sympathy for him. If he thinks so highly of himself, then he'd have the cahones to come in, earn the RT job in training camp, hold onto the job in the regular season by playing better than he ever did at LT, and then he'll have created a market for himself next off-season to play either LT or RT, and right now, the only thing he's done, as far as effort is concerned, is shown that he has no market.

I wanted to be a professional baseball player, but when I knew it wasn't going to happen, I didn't whine about it and make a fuss (and I was never handed a 3rd Base job for four seasons that I never earned). So, no. I have zero sympathy for Jonah Williams and I'm pretty pissed at him for not appreciating all that the Bengals did for him the last four seasons. He owes us one season where he actually has to earn his job at a position that the team feels he best fits.

Suck it up and be a man, Jonah, and earn your paycheck.
    Jonah has not been last in most categories... He was not very good in 2022, but his PFF grade in 2021 was 77.9, which was actually higher than Orlando Brown's. He's an average LT, which is valuable, but also means you look to upgrade if you can. So I don't feel sorry for him, but I also understand why he would want a trade going into a contract year. If he has a repeat of his 2021 season, he'd be getting a massive contract at LT. I know PFF grades aren't everything, but Jawaan Taylor just signed a 4/$80MM contract with the Chiefs coming off a season where he had a lower PFF grade than Jonah Williams. Jonah's concern isn't about this season, it's about the next 4. And playing LT in 2023 sets him up to make millions more than playing RT. So maybe he's being a baby and lashing out because his feelings are hurt, but I think it's more than likely that the trade request is just a logical outcome of him wanting to maximize his earning potential.

23. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-01-2023)

No, no, no, no, no. I wanted more information. I got it. I love the signing. It was the best we could do at TE at this time, while also being a positive signing.

They could have signed more depth for G and the TE from Pittsburgh who can block would have been another signing that was doable. I don’t know how Cleveland is able to sign just about anything and everyone. Not that winning the off season means anything.

I just think that once they start winning they pull back as always. Even Brown had to come to them. The issue at Safety. TE and better depth on the OL remains. Trying to trade Mixon for even a 5th or 6th to get rid of that salary along with Williams for the same. Mixon can’t block and needs 80s Bengal OL to run behind to succeed consistently.

Before they know it Pittsburgh gets better and Pickett becomes the new young gun especially with the way the NFL allows the most average QB to succeed. It’s comical how easy it’s become. Even if you watched 70s. 80s. 90s football it’s still hard to understand how much harder it was. They are rebuilding their defense that’s already good and turning it into the way BAL succeeds at it.

Turn Off Ads?