Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1026

Thread: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

I don't have a lot to complain about the Bengals draft so far. However, one thing is very evident: they need someone in the "war room" who knows how, and isn't afraid, to formulate trades to acquire more picks or move up for targeted players. The Bengals haven't ever been great about moving around the draft, and it's time to look at how other teams are successful at that, and try to bring some of that success to the Bengals' draft process.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I don't have a lot to complain about the Bengals draft so far. However, one thing is very evident: they need someone in the "war room" who knows how, and isn't afraid, to formulate trades to acquire more picks or move up for targeted players. The Bengals haven't ever been great about moving around the draft, and it's time to look at how other teams are successful at that, and try to bring some of that success to the Bengals' draft process.
    They traded up last year to get Cam Taylor Britt.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They traded up last year to get Cam Taylor Britt.

You can literally count on both hands the number of times in draft history that the Bengals have moved up in order to secure a player they were targeting. Meanwhile, other teams are dancing all over the draft order, moving up and back, jumping other teams to get their guy, etc.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

You can literally count on both hands the number of times in draft history that the Bengals have moved up in order to secure a player they were targeting. Meanwhile, other teams are dancing all over the draft order, moving up and back, jumping other teams to get their guy, etc.
    Just curious, is there evidence that this is a successful strategy? It's crossed my mind this draft. I don't really understand player/pick values in the NFL like I do with MLB.

My take: Bengals know their roster and like it quite a bit. They're comfortable letting the draft play out and selecting the BPA in relation to general need when their time comes. I think we'll see more picks based on offensive needs for the remainder of their picks. They love the roster they have and don't feel the need to give up any of it just to move up in the draft.

2023 Cincinnati Bengals Part 1: Offseason

2017 - traded back in the second round before taking Mixon

2018 - traded back in the first round in exchange for Cordy Glenn (ugh) and traded down in the second before taking Bates.

2019 - traded back in the second round before taking Sample (ugh).

2020 - stood pat in what may go down as the best draft in team history.

2021 - traded back in the second round to pick up two 4th rounders and then took Carmen (ugh).

2022 - traded up in the second to get CTB.

2023 - traded back in the third round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Dax and Scott fill in for Bell? 2 guys are playing at the same time for 1 spot? Why are we drafting a backup Safety in round 3 then after just signing scott for 12 million?

I mean, I like Battle better than Hill to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Dax and Scott fill in for Bell? 2 guys are playing at the same time for 1 spot? Why are we drafting a backup Safety in round 3 then after just signing scott for 12 million?

I mean, I like Battle better than Hill to be honest.
    Scott signed for 3 years/$12 million with only $3 million guaranteed. That’s what you give a guy who you can live with as a starter but you’ll be happier if someone can come in and beat him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree that there’s not nearly as much pressure as there used to be. That said, I don’t like this draft. Reminds me of 2015 when they went for depth instead of a knockout punch. We are so close to winning a Super Bowl, we should be drafting players who will put us over the top now (ie Mayer and R.Johnson) not depth pieces that will help cushion for free agency departures in the future. I think Murphy will be a fine rotational piece, but the other two guys look like special teams players. I would’ve much preferred getting a starting TE and a starting RB which we could’ve done with how the board shook out. Trading down last night was really stupid. I don’t love Washington (again I would’ve much preferred Mayer) but he would’ve been a much better pick than Battle. And instead he’s a Steeler, and we helped the Chiefs get the guy they wanted all to pick up the 217th pick? That’s…pretty bad. Passing on Roschon Johnson last night for Josh Shaw redux was also not good.
    I think the Bengals are nit worried about scoring. They're worried about stopping the other team from scoring given all the elite QBs in the AFC. Taking a TE isn't going to help them stop Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson or Mahomes. Time will tell whether this strategy works

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We don't have a need for a RT from this draft. We can address that next year, if necessary.

You must have some insider info about Williams happily showing up and healthy to play it. There’s always Carmen. I was hoping for Blake Freeland but he gone.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I look forward to facing Porter Jr twice a year kid is a PI machine...there is a reason he is falling folks. He doesn't get picks and he gets called for PI penalties. He was able to clean it up a bit last season but the NFL is a different animal.
    You're assuming he actually gets called for it too.

Wanna bet when they play the Bengals the refs swallow the whistles?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You must have some insider info about Williams happily showing up and healthy to play it. There’s always Carmen. I was hoping for Blake Freeland but he gone.
    He's not going to stay home and punt 12 million...though they usually take lineman in the 4th
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

13. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (04-30-2023)

Their last 2 playoff losses saw them struggle badly just to get 20 points., hardly any impressive number

Their offense, despite the talent and reputation, generally slows down quite a bit in the postseason. Perhaps they should put more effort there instead of assuming it’s good enough as is

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the Bengals are nit worried about scoring. They're worried about stopping the other team from scoring given all the elite QBs in the AFC. Taking a TE isn't going to help them stop Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson or Mahomes. Time will tell whether this strategy works

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Handful of solid RBs still on the board - Israel Abanikanda, Eric Gray, DeWayne McBride, Sean Tucker, Chase Brown...
    Last edited by Ohayou; 04-29-2023 at 12:58 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Their last 2 playoff losses saw them struggle badly just to get 20 points., hardly any impressive number

Their offense, despite the talent and reputation, generally slows down quite a bit in the postseason. Perhaps they should put more effort there instead of assuming it’s good enough as is
    I believe that was largely due to the offensive line and not skill players. They could use a better running back and a replacement for Hurst but the offensive line was already in a much better place than at end of last year than it was before the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

17. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-30-2023),RiverRat13 (04-29-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I believe that was largely due to the offensive line and not skill players. They could use a better running back and a replacement for Hurst but the offensive line was already in a much better place than at end of last year than it was before the draft.
    Agree. It was the OL injuries that slowed down the offense the last 2 years. Reiff in 2021 and almost everyone last year. That being said, the OL in 2021 was terrible.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

So Charlie Jones, a 25-year-old as a rookie backup receiver is their next pick

Turn Off Ads?