Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Padres are trying to win, and that continues to upset some owners

Re: The Padres are trying to win, and that continues to upset some owners

Quote Originally Posted by ron madden View Post
    Memo to Reds’ ownership:

Win for civic pride

Read it. Learn it. Live it.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-31-2023),Redsfan6272 (02-01-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-31-2023),Roy Tucker (01-31-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Good lord this league is an embarrassment lmao
    Owners blatantly not trying as they cash monster revenue sharing checks is the new collusion.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Playadlc (02-02-2023),REDREAD (01-31-2023),RedsFanInMS (01-31-2023),stlwahoo (02-05-2023),Wonderful Monds (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Owners blatantly not trying as they cash monster revenue sharing checks is the new collusion.
    Fans need a union.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (01-31-2023),stlwahoo (02-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Fans need a union.
    I know you weren't serious, but we actually do have some leverage.
    Stop going to the games. Stop watching the Reds on the TV. It's a toxic relationship.
    Find another team to follow or another activity to do.
    If we stop supporting the team, maybe Phil feels some pain in the next negoiation for the local TV deal.
    Will that be enough to change things? Probably not.. Ironically, revenue sharing ended up being one of the worst things for competitive balance.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (02-01-2023),Kingspoint (01-31-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know you weren't serious, but we actually do have some leverage.
    Stop going to the games. Stop watching the Reds on the TV. It's a toxic relationship.
    Find another team to follow or another activity to do.
    If we stop supporting the team, maybe Phil feels some pain in the next negoiation for the local TV deal.
    Will that be enough to change things? Probably not.. Ironically, revenue sharing ended up being one of the worst things for competitive balance.
    I'm torn on this. The Reds have been a part of me since I was 6. No matter how bad it's hard for me not to watch even if they are terrible.

11. Likes:

Playadlc (02-02-2023),REDREAD (01-31-2023),Ron Madden (01-31-2023),Roy Tucker (02-02-2023),tinman (01-31-2023)

I'm glad more owners are showing their lizard skin.
    Go Gators!

13. Likes:

M2 (01-31-2023),REDREAD (01-31-2023),Ron Madden (01-31-2023)

"The single biggest problem in Major League Baseball right now -- and the driver of many related problems -- is the owner who doesn't care about winning, who views the franchise as a portfolio holding rather than a civic treasure that carries with it certain obligations. Worst of all, owners can invest in the payroll and still remain quite profitable, such are the immense revenue streams that teams enjoy in exchange for merely existing. Too many, though, would prefer to cash those checks while putting forward very little effort toward the only thing that justifies their existence. That thing is trying to win baseball games like, you know, the small-market San Diego Padres"

Sadly we havd a owner that does not care about winning!! just in his bank account

15. Likes:

REDREAD (02-02-2023)

If the Padres are upsetting MLB owners just wait until they hear about the Reds signing Jason Vosler. How will the rest of the league compete?

17. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (02-01-2023),Chip R (02-01-2023),OGB (02-06-2023),REDREAD (02-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    The Commissioner is hired and fired by the owners and basically works on their behalf. The "small market" owners dont want to be forced to spend money, and large market owners dont want the extra competition. For these reasons I doubt much changes anytime soon as owners have to put their individual wants aside for the greater good of the health of the sport.
    Actually, the large market owners are not happy teams like the Marlins and Pirates pocket the revenue sharing money. I'm not sure not wanting the extra competition figures into it all that much. TV deals are already set so it really doesn't matter if two good teams, one good and one bad team or two bade teams are playing. But, for example, if the Padres weren't as active as they have been in trying to put a winner on the field and were content to just pocket their revenue sharing checks perhaps a Dodgers-Padres series in August/September wouldn't draw as many people to the stadium(s) as it does now that the Padres are competitive with the Dodgers. Having both teams competitive is better for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    What? A Major League Baseball Club trying to win? The audacity of them. I'm sure the Castellini's don't care for this at all.
    Who cares what the Castellini's think. "Where they gonna go?"

21. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (02-01-2023)

Laughing to the bank

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post

"So Fla Red"

The Reds are a mess but Seidler is a hedge fund multi-billionaire and the Padres are the only Big 4 franchise in a growing county of 3M people. Thus isn't a small market especially after the Chargers bolted town.

24. Likes:

757690 (02-01-2023),JustaFan (02-06-2023),Kingspoint (02-01-2023),OGB (02-06-2023),Revering4Blue (02-02-2023),texasdave (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    Phil would like to go to Nashville (no one knows him there).
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    I'm torn on this. The Reds have been a part of me since I was 6. No matter how bad it's hard for me not to watch even if they are terrible.
    I know the feeling. I've been following the Reds on TV and radio ever since sneaking a small radio to bed regulary so I could listen the the Big Red Machine when they ran past my bedtime.

But taking the Reds' off of Hulu in recent years made it a lot easier to stop watching. Then the Reds cryptically decided to eliminate peaks and valleys. I've decided this means to eliminate peaks in W-L record and valleys in profits. They've taken away my highs and their lows. Ain't it funny how the feeling goes? Awaay?

27. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-02-2023),Kingspoint (02-02-2023),REDREAD (02-02-2023),Revering4Blue (02-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Actually, the large market owners are not happy teams like the Marlins and Pirates pocket the revenue sharing money. I'm not sure not wanting the extra competition figures into it all that much. TV deals are already set so it really doesn't matter if two good teams, one good and one bad team or two bade teams are playing. But, for example, if the Padres weren't as active as they have been in trying to put a winner on the field and were content to just pocket their revenue sharing checks perhaps a Dodgers-Padres series in August/September wouldn't draw as many people to the stadium(s) as it does now that the Padres are competitive with the Dodgers. Having both teams competitive is better for the game.
    That is true, but suppose every team spent like the dodgers.. In theory, in a perfect market, the entire league would then be around .500
    The LA-SD series is good for LA because LA is almost a lock to make the playoffs.
    A team that wins 90-100+ games year in and year out is going to draw a lot more over the course of the season than a .500 team.
    People are generally bandwagoners.

Look at the Padres, before they really started trying hard, they drew about 2.1 million/year.. Last year, they drew 2.9 million and they actually had to put a policy in place to prevent all the tickets being sold out as season tickets.. that's how high the demand is for their product. If every team tried as hard as they did, they wouldn't be able to draw that many fans.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?