Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ted Kluszewski: Film Holds The “Klu”

Ted Kluszewski: Film Holds The “Klu”

Ted Kluszewski: Film holds the “Klu”

IT WAS LATE one evening in the spring of 1951, and all was not well at Ted and Eleanor Kluszewski’s home in Cincinnati. Ted, or “Klu” as the Reds big first baseman was affectionately known, was mired in a batting slump that threatened to derail his once promising career.

Big Klu had steadily improved every aspect of his game since becoming a regular with the Reds in 1948. When his fielding at first base was criticized (one sportswriter quipped, “he couldn’t catch a bear in a telephone booth”) Klu spent hours working with Hall of Fame first basemen Bill Terry and George Kelly to hone his craft. By 1951, he led all the league’s first sackers with a .997 fielding percentage.

When he failed to crack the .300 mark his first two seasons, Klu worked on his swing and hadn’t batted below .300 since. And, when the Reds thought his broad shoulders and 15-inch biceps should deliver more home runs, Klu brought the power and went from 8 home runs in 1949 to 25 the next season.

Then came the slump of ‘51. All spring, Klu’s average was in freefall. Always a laid-back kind of fellow, Klu took it in stride, confident that he would eventually snap out of it. He even shook off the Reds strong suggestion he take more batting practice; Klu felt it would just make things worse. The Reds felt differently, and there was talk that the big first baseman was lazy or just didn’t care. And all the while the slump continued.

So, that spring evening in 1951 found Klu and his wife, Eleanor, talking about his slump. Eleanor was no slouch when it came to her husband’s chosen career – she had been a star softball pitcher and understood the game inside and out. Suddenly, Eleanor came up with an idea that would save both her husband’s and countless other ballplayers’ careers.

Back in 1947, the couple received a 16mm movie camera for Christmas. And, just like anyone else who received a movie camera, Eleanor began taking home movies. Mixed in with the family vacation shots and backyard barbeque vignettes, there was footage of her husband at bat long before the slump came along.

Elenore dug out the reels of film, and the couple spent hours evaluating his pre-slump swing and taking notes. Klu originally thought his problem was over striding, but after reviewing the footage, the pair discovered that the issue was that he was falling away with his shoulders.

Armed with this knowledge, Klu made the adjustment and hit .320 the next season. His career was saved, but the funny thing was, if it hadn’t been for an odd twist of fate, Big Klu wouldn’t have even had a baseball career to begin with.

More Here:
    https://studiogaryc.com/2023/01/29/ted-kluszewski/

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-31-2023),Chip R (01-31-2023),cumberlandreds (01-31-2023),CySeymour (01-30-2023),goreds2 (01-31-2023),HokieRed (02-01-2023),missionhockey21 (02-01-2023),Number_Fourteen (01-31-2023),Ohiohaybaler (01-31-2023),Roy Tucker (01-31-2023),Sassy Sal (01-31-2023),ShyGuy (02-01-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ted Kluszewski: Film Holds The “Klu”

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Ted Kluszewski: Film holds the “Klu”
    More Here:
    https://studiogaryc.com/2023/01/29/ted-kluszewski/
    Video analysis. Klu was ahead of his time.

5. Likes:

HokieRed (02-01-2023),Ron Madden (01-31-2023),westofyou (01-31-2023)

This does hold the Klu/clue. This gives you insight as to why he became one of the greatest batting coaches of all time. He was able to coach himself out of slump it should be easier to coach someone else out of one. You know, like a great lawyer shouldn't represent himself because he'd be a fool, the same probably applies to being a batting coach and Klu was the exception not the rule.

I remember reading from an interview with someone on the BRM(Rose, Morgan, Griffey I forget) how Klu never approached batters with suggestions. He always waited for the batter to come to him and ask. He knew that only the batter would know when he was willing to admit that he can't correct himself out of a slump or willing to admit there was something wrong and it just wasn't bad luck. And Klu would say "let's go to the batting cage" and he would watch and throw 1 or 2 suggestions and the batter's slump would be over.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (01-31-2023),missionhockey21 (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiohaybaler View Post
    Video analysis. Klu was ahead of his time.
    Yes he was but It originally was his wife Elenore's idea to look at film she had taken of his AB's before the big slump.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-01-2023 at 01:57 AM.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-01-2023),westofyou (02-01-2023)

Probably 1953 I was at a restaurant drawing where he was the man taking the winning tickets out of a circular wire drum that turned to mix up the tickets. He reached far in the drum and got his arm stuck in the circular hole - large enough for a normal person. I was impressed! got his autograph also that day. NO, I didn't have a camera.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-01-2023),goreds2 (01-31-2023),HokieRed (02-01-2023),missionhockey21 (02-01-2023),Ron Madden (01-31-2023),Roy Tucker (02-01-2023),UKFlounder (01-31-2023)

I may be mistaken but I seem to vaguely recall hearing about Klu using videoing as a tool when he was the batting coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

missionhockey21 (02-01-2023),Ron Madden (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I may be mistaken but I seem to vaguely recall hearing about Klu using videoing as a tool when he was the batting coach.
    Oh, I'm sure he did. And my guess that he would do this knowing a player was in a slump but not inform that player of his findings until the player came to him. Very patient and effective way to do it.

15. Likes:

missionhockey21 (02-01-2023)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Yes he was but It originally was his wife Elenore's idea to look at film she had taken of his AB's before the big slump.
    Maybe we should campaign for Eleanor to be inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame.

17. Likes:

Chip R (02-01-2023),cumberlandreds (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    This does hold the Klu/clue. This gives you insight as to why he became one of the greatest batting coaches of all time. He was able to coach himself out of slump it should be easier to coach someone else out of one. You know, like a great lawyer shouldn't represent himself because he'd be a fool, the same probably applies to being a batting coach and Klu was the exception not the rule.

I remember reading from an interview with someone on the BRM(Rose, Morgan, Griffey I forget) how Klu never approached batters with suggestions. He always waited for the batter to come to him and ask. He knew that only the batter would know when he was willing to admit that he can't correct himself out of a slump or willing to admit there was something wrong and it just wasn't bad luck. And Klu would say "let's go to the batting cage" and he would watch and throw 1 or 2 suggestions and the batter's slump would be over.
    Its too bad that Joey never had a chance to get some coaching from Klu. I bet those two would have hit it off.
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

19. Likes:

Chip R (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Its too bad that Joey never had a chance to get some coaching from Klu. I bet those two would have hit it off.
    That also have the same birthday (September 10).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-01-2023),missionhockey21 (02-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    That also have the same birthday (September 10).
    Is there something to astrology?

Both Klu and Votto were intense hitting evaluators.

Pete Rose and Baker Mayfield, both big time type A personalities that rub lots the wrong way.

But then you have Alex Johnson and Johnny Bench(if there's any thing common there, I don't know what it is, other than both being baseball players).

Oh yes, and then there's Tony Perez and me. I'm the glue that holds teams together whether work or play and if you trade or fire me, your team falls apart. Of course this is my opinion, not sure about anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Is there something to astrology?
    That or something, something about cold winters in Toronto and Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That or something, something about cold winters in Toronto and Chicago
    Okay, but that still doesn't explain those great traits and skills that Doggy and I have in common?

Oh and I figured out the connection between Alex Johnson and Johnny Bench. Alex Johnson was my first favorite player when I started following the Reds in 1968. Johnny Bench will be my last favorite player until the day I die as he's my all-time favorite and I see no scenario where some future player changes that.
    Last edited by foster15; 02-01-2023 at 11:20 PM.

25. Likes:

Chip R (02-02-2023)

Turn Off Ads?