The Spinners

A Tribe Called Quest

The White Stripes

Warren Zevon
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s 2023 induction nominees

Kate Bush - Alas, my love for Kate Bush is not musical in nature. Her case is helped by recently going #1 in the charts thanks to Stranger Things, but I can't see her winning in this field.

Sheryl Crow - Pretty strong case. I suspect voters either go for her or Lauper. I'd go for Lauper.

Missy Elliott - I want Salt-N-Pepa to be the first female rappers in the Hall, so Elliott wouldn't get my vote.

Iron Maiden - They get in through whatever door got opened for Judas Priest, right?

Joy Division/New Order - Musically, for me, this should be the easiest pick of the bunch. Fully iconic band. Also, would they open the door for Bauhaus/Love and Rockets?

Cyndi Lauper - She sung one of my favorite Christmas songs with the Hives, so automatic pick for me. Also, she single-handedly brought down the Iron Curtain. "(In America, even girls have fun.")

George Michael - He'll probably make it in no matter how much anyone wants to question whether he's rock-n-roll. Only possible speed bump is if they only want to pick one dead white guy. Then he's in a knife fight with Zevon.

Willie Nelson - If Dolly made it, Willie's got to be a slam dunk.

Rage Against The Machine - I'd pick them. It's probably fair to question how many guitar-driven bands are going to make the cut in a single year. I've got them 3rd on that list in this class behind Maiden and the Stripes. YMMV.

Soundgarden - I love Soundgarden, but I think they're #4 among the guitar bands here. Though there is a bit of a '90s backlog with them, Rage, Weezer and the Pumpkins.

The Spinners - Sort of the glaring omission among classic R&B singing groups. I'm a firm yes on them.

A Tribe Called Quest - They're really great. I don't think they'll make it. My question is where's Wu? The RNRHOF needs to remedy that situation.

The White Stripes - Biggest rock band of the 2000s? They should just throw all of Jack White's other projects in there too.

Warren Zevon - Legitimately surprised Zevon's still languishing on the outside. Don't get why. I always figured he'd be big with industry insiders, though maybe they knew him too well.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Betterread (02-01-2023),goreds2 (02-01-2023),Revering4Blue (02-01-2023),ShyGuy (02-01-2023)

I put Rage over The White Stripes. They are an obvious HoFer. They have the credibility and the popularity. Have one of the most unique lead vocalists in the past 3 decades. Have an innovate and original guitarist. Their sound is very unique. They also randomly have one of the most memorable scenes in movie history. I love Rage.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Zevon - no doubter, should've been in years ago. His writing is brilliant. Saw him live once, great show. Died way too young.
    Where we gonna go?

7. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (02-04-2023),marcshoe (02-01-2023),Revering4Blue (02-01-2023)

I like Cyndi just for this song alone. Lol

9. Likes:

goreds2 (02-01-2023)

Here is my vote:

Name:  B799FC70-F8C9-44FA-B62A-DC0DABA8BD8C.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  202.2 KB

The Good & Bad of Willie Nelson’s Rock Hall of Fame Nomination

That said, there are a few reasons why Willie Nelson’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination makes more sense than Dolly’s did. When Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings emerged during the Outlaw era in country music in the mid ’70s, the criticism of them was that they weren’t country, they were rock. Waylon Jennings at least had Ralph Mooney playing steel guitar behind him. Willie didn’t really have any traditional country music instrumentation.

When Texas historian Jan Reed wrote his book about the emergence of the music scene in Austin, he put Willie Nelson on the cover, and called it The Improbable Rise of Redneck Rock.
    More in link:

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/t...me-nomination/

Incredible that Zevon is not already in the Hall. I've been advocating for his inclusion for at least a decade, it seems. Such a unique artist.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Zevon - no doubter, should've been in years ago. His writing is brilliant. Saw him live once, great show. Died way too young.
    Couldn't agree more.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Warren Zevon must be extremely time period centric (if that makes sense, not sure how to put it) - I am 39 years old and do not know one person that listens to Warren Zevon around my age or younger. I know the song warewolves of london, big "meh" from me.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Warren Zevon must be extremely time period centric (if that makes sense, not sure how to put it) - I am 39 years old and do not know one person that listens to Warren Zevon around my age or younger. I know the song warewolves of london, big "meh" from me.
    He was a lot like Harry Nilsson, a songwriters songwriter. And you're right that he was not "popular" like others, he was more a staple of FM Radio album formats, not top forty. A total creation of the California Songwriter genre which was very powerful in the late 70's

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-06-2023)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He was a lot like Harry Nilsson, a songwriters songwriter. And you're right that he was not "popular" like others, he was more a staple of FM Radio album formats, not top forty. A total creation of the California Songwriter genre which was very powerful in the late 70's
    All true.

To expound upon this, by the time people of RTG’s age group were in their teens, Mainstream Rock Radio stations as we knew them were rapidly disappearing. Rock Radio stations became fragmented formatwise: Classic Rock, Active Rock, Alternative etc.. And with the possible exception of AAA radio, only classic rock radio will play Zevon today, and likely only Werewolves, Lawyers, Guns and Money and A Certain Girl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-08-2023),M2 (02-07-2023),westofyou (02-06-2023)

Just because Warren Zevon isn't played on the radio today doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the RR HOF. It means that radio today sucks.
    Where we gonna go?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Just because Warren Zevon isn't played on the radio today doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the RR HOF. It means that radio today sucks.
    Who is suggesting that? I’m certainly not. In my case, I was just utilizing radio today as a reference as to why many younger people aren’t as familiar with Zevon as they theoretically should be.

His credentials speak for themselves regardless of radio. He clearly should be inducted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I've seen younger-than-you bands bust out Zevon songs at live shows. He's a bit of cheat code for when a band wants to do a cover. His songs have good bones and lend themselves to reworking.

I know him because of my dad (born five days after Zevon). Some of my parents' records made me cringe, but Zevon I dug. He sort of conveyed insider status back in the day. If you know Zevon, you were a music fan. A who's who of artists would turn up on his albums - the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, the Heartbreakers (sans Tom Petty) and then later R.E.M., Flea, Brian Setzer.

He was an AOR staple for about 20 years (sort of a DJ flex choice) and then got consigned to classic rock stations, which pretty much turned him into dad rock for you. I feel like there's a nearby alternate universe where Zevon's "I'm dying and it sucks" songs played alongside Blink-182 and OutKast on the radio and that seemed totally normal. Maybe even alterna-Zevon collaborated with Brittney and they played live on TRL. He was sort of made for a mashed up universe. It was kind of cruel that he got put in such a small bucket when everything got siloed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-08-2023),Revering4Blue (02-07-2023),Roy Tucker (02-08-2023)

Turn Off Ads?