Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN top 50 Prospects

ESPN top 50 Prospects

Reds have three SS's and a 3rd basemen in the ESPN top 50 prospects. I have been excited for a couple of years about Jose Barrero. Looks like De La Cruz might be a can't miss, does this mean Barrero is probably trade bait later in the year?
    Last edited by MFDChief; 02-01-2023 at 05:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN top 50 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by MFDChief View Post
    Reds have three SS's and a 3rd basemen in the ESPN top 50 prospects. I have been excited for a couple of years about Jose Barrero. Looks like De La Cruz might be a can't miss, does this mean Barrero is probably trade bait later in the year?
    Not unless he starts hitting. And if he does start hitting, he could figure into he CF mix

Right now Barrero's trade value is as low as it's been. He's failed miserably in a couple of big league chances. That's why you can't go all in on just prospects. Now don't get me wrong, having a strong minor league system for the Reds is a must, but free agent signings and trades have to be a factor in building a winner. Minor league player development is key, and this is where I think the Reds have dropped the ball. Maybe that's going to change with this crop is prospects.

5. Likes:

elrojo (02-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Right now Barrero's trade value is as low as it's been. He's failed miserably in a couple of big league chances. That's why you can't go all in on just prospects. Now don't get me wrong, having a strong minor league system for the Reds is a must, but free agent signings and trades have to be a factor in building a winner. Minor league player development is key, and this is where I think the Reds have dropped the ball. Maybe that's going to change with this crop is prospects.
    I wouldn't say the Reds have dropped the ball on player development. India, Stephenson, Ashcraft, Greene, Lodolo, Diaz are all homegrown and very valuable. Not to mention Mahle and Winker. Farm's been doing fine. Every team has misses.

Where they dropped the ball to the center of the earth is spending.

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-02-2023),corkedbat (02-02-2023)

Never say can’t miss. It’s the kiss of death.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If Barrero hits (and EDLC is ready) then he could move to 3B or CF (or 2B with India to 3B). If he doesn't hit there is no trade value and he becomes a fairly affordable bench piece for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I wouldn't say the Reds have dropped the ball on player development. India, Stephenson, Ashcraft, Greene, Lodolo, Diaz are all homegrown and very valuable. Not to mention Mahle and Winker. Farm's been doing fine. Every team has misses.

Where they dropped the ball to the center of the earth is spending.
    Lot's of question marks there. One all-star appearance in that group. Lot's of young players who could go either way.

Where were the Reds' prospects ranked on ESPN?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Where were the Reds' prospects ranked on ESPN?
    De La Cruz #9
    Arroyo #40
    Marte #44
    Collier #50

Turn Off Ads?