Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Spring Training 2023

Reds Spring Training 2023

Reds spring training 2023

Pitchers and catchers are due to report to Goodyear, Arizona on Feb. 15, and with that, the
    Reds 2023 spring training season will be officially underway.

The first full squad workout is scheduled for Feb. 20, and the games begin on Feb. 25 with the Reds and Guardians meeting at Goodyear Ballpark at 3:05 p.m. Eastern.

Among the highlights are a pair of games against the Oakland A's as part of the Big League Weekend in Las Vegas. The two teams will play at Las Vegas Ballpark on Saturday, March 4 and Sunday, March 5.

Full Cincinnati Reds 2023 spring training schedule Here:
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cinc...010349996.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-03-2023 at 05:52 AM.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (02-03-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Reds Spring Training 2023

I've never been as disappointed with the Reds Ownership, my expectations for the coming season have never been so low but here I am getting anxious for pitchers and catchers to report for spring training.

5. Likes:

757690 (02-03-2023),dfs (02-05-2023),goreds2 (02-03-2023),Joeyjection19 (02-07-2023),mbgrayson (02-08-2023),mth123 (02-03-2023),NebraskaRed (02-03-2023),OldFashionedRed (02-03-2023),Red Raindog (02-04-2023),Tuff Nut (02-03-2023),WVRedsFan (02-10-2023)

Re: Reds Spring Training 2023

I use to look forward to Spring for varied, and obvious, reasons. The most important though was baseball, pitchers and catchers report, the opening of ST, and finally the season begins! I always had that sense of optimism. Not just this organization, but MLB has pretty much drained that from me.

[gives me more time to play golf]

I will do the best I can to follow the Red's ST, and all the young players/prospects, in hopes of trying to get some sort of grasp of whose going to make the team and trying to learn all those new names (lol).

For an old man who can't remember why he walked into a room sometimes - these constant roster rotations and musical chairs with players has me exhausted anymore. I'll just buy a program and match pictures to players.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-03-2023),Red Raindog (02-04-2023)

I used be excited too about the opening of spring training as it seemed like everything was fresh and starts a new. But this ownership has totally drained me of that. I have no hope or any expectations for this season or any season forward with this group of owners. Also it seems MLB has no interest in trying to level the playing field for all teams, such as cap, floor or whatever. What was predicted nearly 50 years ago when free agency started is now happening. A certain subset of markets are dominating the landscape with others just going by the wayside while the others don't seem to mind as they making tons of money by just standing still. I'm not going out of my to watch games this season or plan an evening around a game. The most news of baseball I will see will be right here on RZ but that will be mainly in the historical sense as I like the history and past of the game much better than the current version.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-03-2023)

The Reds are going to be awful, but this will still be an interesting year to see how the future may shape up. Lots of long-term pieces will be arriving this year and several who arrived the last couple of years who need to take the next step, The game outcomes won't be fun, but there will be lots of interesting stuff to follow. My list:

1. Will Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft take the next step and do over a full season what they flashed last year?
    2. Will anyone else emerge to round out the future rotation?
    3. Will Stephenson and India be players who can be offensive leaders over a full-season?
    4. Can Jake Fraley be an above average bat over a larger sample of Plate Appearances?
    5. Will Spencer Steer hit in the big leagues the way he did in AA and AAA and become an answer?
    6. Can Jose Barrero look more like he did in AAA in 2021 and show that last year was just a lost year that went downhill after injury? Or is he another failed prospect in the making?
    7. When will Elly De La Cruz arrive and will he perform as we hope?
    8. Same goes for Matt McLain (who I think Redszone is sleeping on a bit), Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Noelvi Marte and several pitchers?
    9. Where will all these infielders eventually end up playing?
    10. How soon will the Reds turn the page from many of the failed prospects and retreads who make up the bulk of the roster to the kids on the brink?

Finally, Joey Votto! When will he be back? Will he regain some of his old excellence? Is this his last season in Cincy or will the Reds renew his option for next year at an incremental cost of $13 Million? I suspect he'll hit well when he returns and be well worth it. Will he still want to play if he does?

2023 is going to see a lot of losing baseball, but it seems like a pivotal season to me. I'm ready for it to get started.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

JFLegal (02-07-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023),Tuff Nut (02-03-2023)

Re: Cincinnati Reds Spring Training 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I've never been as disappointed with the Reds Ownership, my expectations for the coming season have never been so low but here I am getting anxious for pitchers and catchers to report for spring training.
    Just admit it, you're a sucker for MLB and our beloved Reds
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds are going to be awful, but this will still be an interesting year to see how the future may shape up. Lots of long-term pieces will be arriving this year and several who arrived the last couple of years who need to take the next step, The game outcomes won't be fun, but there will be lots of interesting stuff to follow. My list:

1. Will Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft take the next step and do over a full season what they flashed last year?
    2. Will anyone else emerge to round out the future rotation?
    3. Will Stephenson and India be players who can be offensive leaders over a full-season?
    4. Can Jake Fraley be an above average bat over a larger sample of Plate Appearances?
    5. Will Spencer Steer hit in the big leagues the way he did in AA and AAA and become an answer?
    6. Can Jose Barrero look more like he did in AAA in 2021 and show that last year was just a lost year that went downhill after injury? Or is he another failed prospect in the making?
    7. When will Elly De La Cruz arrive and will he perform as we hope?
    8. Same goes for Matt McLain (who I think Redszone is sleeping on a bit), Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Noelvi Marte and several pitchers?
    9. Where will all these infielders eventually end up playing?
    10. How soon will the Reds turn the page from many of the failed prospects and retreads who make up the bulk of the roster to the kids on the brink?

Finally, Joey Votto! When will he be back? Will he regain some of his old excellence? Is this his last season in Cincy or will the Reds renew his option for next year at an incremental cost of $13 Million? I suspect he'll hit well when he returns and be well worth it. Will he still want to play if he does?

2023 is going to see a lot of losing baseball, but it seems like a pivotal season to me. I'm ready for it to get started.
    Generally agree. Everything will be interesting this year except the W-L record, which will probably be abysmal.

Look at it the big league Reds as a house that needs gut renovation. Last year it was torn down. This year (and next IMO), it’s under major construction. Then you fine tune it and hopefully it’ll be a beautiful place to be.

The vice is that it’s the second, nearly consecutive rebuild. But the rebuild itself is a well-established process and Reds are just beginning to build at the big league level.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-03-2023 at 09:04 AM.

15. Likes:

lollipopcurve (02-03-2023),mth123 (02-03-2023),Old school 1983 (02-03-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

I agree with everyone's disappointment and frustration.

I'm still excited about baseball. Can't help it.

17. Likes:

Joeyjection19 (02-07-2023),lollipopcurve (02-03-2023),mth123 (02-03-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023),westofyou (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I agree with everyone's disappointment and frustration.

I'm still excited about baseball. Can't help it.
    Yep, if you can't get excited about baseball period I have to wonder why even bother logging onto this site

19. Likes:

Chip R (02-16-2023),lollipopcurve (02-03-2023),mth123 (02-03-2023),NebraskaRed (02-03-2023),Old school 1983 (02-03-2023),Red Raindog (02-04-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023),Sassy Sal (02-04-2023),TRF (02-14-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, if you can't get excited about baseball period I have to wonder why even bother logging onto this site
    You can see the end of my post as to why I am still here. I am also a moderator and like the "pay".
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-03-2023),mth123 (02-03-2023),NebraskaRed (02-03-2023),westofyou (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You can see the end of my post as to why I am still here. I am also a moderator and like the "pay".
    Count on liking something about this season is a mantra I like to lean on. There is always a surprise

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well, there are a few people here who have been posting for more than a year about how they're done with this team and they can't understand why anyone else is still a fan. They post pretty regularly. Go figure.

25. Likes:

mth123 (02-03-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023),texasdave (02-03-2023),westofyou (02-03-2023)

I am Charlie Brown kicking a football and the Reds are the Lucy football holder. I keep hoping that this time will be THE time and success will be had.

No matter what the logical side of my brain says, the emotional fan side starts to pop up the closer we get to spring training.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

27. Likes:

mth123 (02-03-2023),NebraskaRed (02-03-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023),Sassy Sal (02-04-2023)

I've noticed a number of players who are already in Arizona. Stephenson and Antone have been posting Arizona pictures.

29. Likes:

goreds2 (02-04-2023),mth123 (02-03-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

I'm sure I'll get to the point of excitement by opening day. I love the Reds, and have sat through plenty of seasons I knew they had no chance but still couldn't contain my excitement. I'm just not there yet. I actually like a lot about what the Reds are doing, but when your team destroys all hope weeks before a season, ownership comes out and spits in the face of the fans, and then tries to sell us the acquisitions of Luke Weaver and Wil Meyers? It's a little tougher to be as enthusiastic for spring training....but where am I gonna go?

31. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

Turn Off Ads?