Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Spring Training 2023

Re: Reds Spring Training 2023

Love spring training. Especially the first part of it when the younger players get time.

2. Likes:

757690 (02-03-2023),goreds2 (02-03-2023),Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'd planned on staying in Arizona for a couple of weeks in order to watch Spring Training games. Had set up a rough draft of my itinerary, including at least a week's worth of games. Had budgeted a couple thousand in hotel and food-- and another thousand for Red stuff.

After this off-season, I decided I wasn't all that interested in going.

Maybe once ownership decides to spend money.

Maybe if the Reds plan on competing.

Then again, maybe not.

I have other things I can do-- and other places I can go.

5. Likes:

mth123 (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Love spring training. Especially the first part of it when the younger players get time.
    Well you're in luck because that's going to be the entire 2023 season.

7. Likes:

fondfoat (02-07-2023),stlwahoo (02-06-2023)

Well in my heart I have hope for the Reds but my head is telling me there is no hope because the ownership are not backing the baseball people by giving them the resources they need to build a winner. They are also setting a very bad tone for the team by saying they cannot compete. They are setting a low bar. I hope the team take it as a challenge like Major League.

Also you never know that is why they play the game just look at Orioles last year.

Plus as stated by others there is plenty of interesting things to follow with the Reds.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Well, there are a few people here who have been posting for more than a year about how they're done with this team and they can't understand why anyone else is still a fan. They post pretty regularly. Go figure.
    I don't know
    I'm not saying everyone but maybe some of those people were bigger fans of posting on social media than they were baseball fans to begin with.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-03-2023 at 05:58 PM.

11. Likes:

mth123 (02-03-2023),NebraskaRed (02-03-2023)

Maybe someone who works in broadcasting can shed a little light on this: Why does MLB TV wait until the last minute to let you know which spring training games they'll air?

At the very least it seems like something they could advertise to get people to sign up.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

Re: Cincinnati Reds Spring Training 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I've never been as disappointed with the Reds Ownership, my expectations for the coming season have never been so low but here I am getting anxious for pitchers and catchers to report for spring training.
    Same here. I always come into a season holding out hope that we can have a magical run and somehow get in the playoffs. Not this year. I'm expecting close to 100 loses, but I'm still ready for Spring Training. After 45 seasons as a fan the Reds are a hard habit to break.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-03-2023)

Cam Miller ��
    @cammillerfilms

FYI: The 2023 #Reds Clubhouse hats feature the 1999-2006 Mr. Red Running Man.

Photo Here:
    https://twitter.com/thejousky/status...290114/photo/1
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-04-2023 at 01:41 AM.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (02-04-2023),RedsFanInMS (02-04-2023)

I'll be watching every day and rooting for a win every day, just like I've done for the past 52 years. I'll be damned if I let these disgusting Casteloonies destroy my love for the Reds. Besides, the off season wasn't without some good news ...No More Moose.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

19. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (02-04-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds are going to be awful, but this will still be an interesting year to see how the future may shape up. Lots of long-term pieces will be arriving this year and several who arrived the last couple of years who need to take the next step

The only thing about this team that "peaks my curiosity" is seeing if these young, highly touted, prospects are going to pay dividends. And, IMO, everyone should be watching this process because it will either be a vindication or indictment of this organization when it comes to their farm system, player development, and the direction of this organization.

Is the reason why they drafted so many SS's is the hope they might finally hit on one? lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I'll be watching every day and rooting for a win every day, just like I've done for the past 52 years. I'll be damned if I let these disgusting Casteloonies destroy my love for the Reds. Besides, the off season wasn't without some good news ...No More Moose.
    I'm beginning my 5th year of retirement. Even though the team continues to struggle, and basically sucks, I still envisoned the times when this old man could be watching them from his recliner, yelling at the TV, while the wife is yelling at me that it's just a stupid ballgame! It's what life is all about (lol). But since they ripped the RSNs off of streaming I haven't been able to watch any of their games on TV.

But with the streaming channels continually raising their monthly fees (we're paying YTTV over $90/month), I may consider going back to cable. Maybe.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The only thing about this team that "peaks my curiosity" is seeing if these young, highly touted, prospects are going to pay dividends. And, IMO, everyone should be watching this process because it will either be a vindication or indictment of this organization when it comes to their farm system, player development, and the direction of this organization.

Is the reason why they drafted so many SS's is the hope they might finally hit on one? lol

Sometimes a season like this can serve as a building block to future success.

Cam Miller ��
    @cammillerfilms

In 1933, the #Reds traded Leo Durocher to the Cards for Paul Derringer. Paul went 7-27 that year.

Asked later about that season: "...it was one of my best seasons because I learned so much." Two yrs later, he began a string of 4 straight seasons winning at least 20 games.

The idea of drafting so many short stops is if a player is athletic enough to play SS he could pretty much play any other position
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-04-2023 at 10:53 AM.

23. Likes:

corkedbat (02-07-2023),Old school 1983 (02-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Sometimes a season like this can serve as a building block to future success.
    I've been writing a bunch of season capsules for Redleg Nation that I hope to roll out soon and one is on 1933, just a horrible year.

Derringer had an ERA+ of 104 with the Reds and went still 7-25, they went 58 – 94, a .382 winning percentage, sixth worse in franchise history, right in front of 2022.

In a depressed year for offense the Reds turned in their worse output in decades scoring only 496 runs, the second worse in team history behind 1908, the peak of the deadball baseball, before there was a cork in the ball. They were the oldest team in Reds history with an average age above thirty for both pitchers and hitters.

Following the season the bank took possession of the team from the owner.

The Reds will be hard pressed to be worse than that

25. Likes:

757690 (02-04-2023),lollipopcurve (02-04-2023),NC Reds (02-05-2023),NebraskaRed (02-04-2023),Ron Madden (02-04-2023),Roy Tucker (02-07-2023),UKFlounder (02-04-2023)

10 key questions that will decide the NL Central
    Opening Day is now less than two months away. That’s so soon! Every year, we preview a different division every two weeks leading up to the start of the season.

Today we continue with the National League Central, which, for all the talk of a clear hierarchy, has featured a different division champion each of the past three seasons.

Reds
    Do they have two of the best five starters in this division?
    The Reds are a few years away from serious contention, particularly with a lineup that looks … let’s call it patchwork. (There’s hope in the farm system, but not in 2023.)

That’s a shame, because you can make an argument that the Reds have a 1-2 punch that would be the envy of a lot of teams in baseball -- and they’re both young. In Hunter Greene (age-23 season) and Nick Lodolo (25), the Reds have the sort of foundation any team would want:

Two cost-controlled starters with ace potential, perhaps as early as this season. Greene, in particular, seems poised to make an All-Star team this year. The rest of the rotation doesn’t have their upside, but when it lines up right, the Reds will be a headache to go visit on many a weekend.

Can Votto have a fond goodbye?
    It has been 11 years since Joey Votto signed his $251 million, 12-year extension, and if the Reds don’t pick up his $20 million option for 2024, this could be his final year in a Cincinnati uniform. (And maybe any uniform.)

Considering how much Votto has meant to this franchise -- according to Baseball-Reference WAR, Votto is Cincinnati's fourth-best player ever, behind only Pete Rose, Johnny Bench and Barry Larkin -- you’d love to see him have the sort of sendoff Albert Pujols had in St. Louis last season. One thing has definitely changed since 2012: The AP story about that extension said that Votto’s “shy personality came across during a news conference.” It is fair to say that no one considers Votto shy anymore.

It really feels like people are sleeping on the Brewers. They looked like a legitimate World Series contender until last season’s Trade Deadline, and they still have a killer rotation, solid bullpen and an underappreciated lineup.

And after the backlash to the Hader trade, it sure feels like they’ll have to try to keep them together. Meanwhile, the Cardinals not only seem short on pitching, it should be mentioned that they will probably miss Pujols more than people think. He was the third big bat alongside Nolan Arenado and Paul Goldschmidt the team had been looking for over the past few years, and now he is gone. They should still end up with a Wild Card berth, but the Brewers, to these eyes, look a little bit better over the long haul.

Brewers: 88-74
    Cardinals: 87-75
    Cubs: 81-81
    Pirates: 68-94
    Reds: 66-96

https://www.mlb.com/news/nl-central-preview-for-2023
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-05-2023 at 10:22 PM.

BallySports announces⁩ Reds spring training games it will televise

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/16...593474/photo/1

28. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-06-2023),goreds2 (02-06-2023),NebraskaRed (02-06-2023)

Turn Off Ads?