Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Spring Training 2023

Re: Reds Spring Training 2023

I know we want the bullpen to be a meritocracy but so many of these guys are fungible so you play the game to keep as many in the organization as you can. Within reason, you keep some guys who can opt out of their contract or would be DFA'd if they don't make the 26, use them early, DFA them and call up another one.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-15-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

The Reds have optioned outfielder Michael Siani to Triple-A and IF Noelvi Marte to Double-A.

Here's where the spring training roster stands.

https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/statu...318024/photo/1

There are 54 players remaining in Major League Camp
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-12-2023 at 12:13 PM.

Siani intrigues me. I think at the very least, he will be a #9 batter/starter at the MLB level who doesn't completely kill you at the plate, and plays excellent in centerfield and is a good baserunner with impressive wheels. those types of players can be valuable. and there's a chance something "clicked" (relatively speaking) with him as a hitter last year. Added some pop. Gonna be interesting to see how he fares at AAA.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I know we want the bullpen to be a meritocracy but so many of these guys are fungible so you play the game to keep as many in the organization as you can. Within reason, you keep some guys who can opt out of their contract or would be DFA'd if they don't make the 26, use them early, DFA them and call up another one.
    Probably true. Gibaut is the only one out of options who might be on the bubble. Farmer, Sims etc are locks (right or wrong).

Put me down for tying the kid starters out there. The flaws they have as starters can be easily hidden in relief. I'd be OK with Williamson as a lefty in the pen. I like that better than Williamson in the rotation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    There are 54 players remaining in Major League Camp
    Siani and Marte were obvious cuts. Starting get clear away some of the longshots.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Siani intrigues me. I think at the very least, he will be a #9 batter/starter at the MLB level who doesn't completely kill you at the plate, and plays excellent in centerfield and is a good baserunner with impressive wheels. those types of players can be valuable. and there's a chance something "clicked" (relatively speaking) with him as a hitter last year. Added some pop. Gonna be interesting to see how he fares at AAA.
    I like Siani as well. I can see him becoming the LH side of a CF platoon when Myers is traded with Benson shifting over to RF. I'm also interested to see how he does in AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

JFLegal (03-12-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

David Bell says the Reds are really high on prospect Noelvi Marte, and "he can really swing."

Bell says Marte can play shortstop, but third base "is the right spot."

Bell says he can "find a home at third," and Marte is getting ready to move over to that spot.

David Bell: "I do think third base is the right spot for him. Can he play short? Probably. He has done it.

I think he’s going to find a home at third base. I love the actions he has there, he has plenty of arm. I think it’s going to be a good home."

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-12-2023 at 02:06 PM.

I think the Siani option signals that the Reds like Benson in CF for 2023.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-13-2023),Ron Madden (03-12-2023)

Siani has played a total of 8 games at AAA. He’s not known as a strong hitter. Absent a number of OF injuries, Siani was always going to AAA this year.

14. Likes:

mth123 (03-12-2023),Old school 1983 (03-12-2023),RED VAN HOT (03-13-2023),Revering4Blue (03-13-2023),Ron Madden (03-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Siani has played a total of 8 games at AAA. He’s not known as a strong hitter. Absent a number of OF injuries, Siani was always going to AAA this year.
    Until Benson arrived, the Reds didn’t have anyone better for CF than Siani. I thought he would be in the mix at least for a backup CF role the whole spring.

- - - Updated - - -

We’ve entered the “dead arm” period of spring training as the Cowboy likes to call it. Be prepared for more tough pitching lines.
    Last edited by 757690; 03-12-2023 at 08:02 PM.

Ashcraft looked really good until he got a muscle cramp in the 2nd. Lots of K's.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-12-2023),Ron Madden (03-12-2023)

Never been that high on Siani for some reason.

The closer we get to opening day the more the reality sits in with me that this isn't going to be a very good team. The injury scare with Ashcraft is a reminder how paper thin the rotation is if we have to replace him, Greene, or Lodolo. The bullpen has been a dumpster fire so far in ST. The offense could be ok, but there's more questions than answers on that side IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The closer we get to opening day the more the reality sits in with me that this isn't going to be a very good team. The injury scare with Ashcraft is a reminder how paper thin the rotation is if we have to replace him, Greene, or Lodolo. The bullpen has been a dumpster fire so far in ST. The offense could be ok, but there's more questions than answers on that side IMO.
    In what universe could this be anything but a terrible team this year?

If everything breaks right, and I mean everything, the ceiling is like 80 wins. And that is a scenario where like three rookies come up and become all stars.

The rotation is young and not good. The bullpen is probably the worst in MLB. The lineup is full of young players with little to no experience. Jonathan India might be a one year wonder. Votto is recovering from major surgery. Stephenson is returning from multiple injuries. Myers is mediocre. This team is going to win like 65-69 games, brother.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 03-13-2023 at 12:07 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This team is going to win like 65-69 games, brother.
    Yeah I predicted 72 wins in the win prediction thread, but if one of the top 3 SP goes down this is a low 60's win team. It was fun watching the prospects in ST for a week though.

I don’t know if the Reds will win more games this year than last year, it’s quite possible that they don’t.

But the development and rise of the current crop of prospects makes me believe that at the very least, this years team will be less dreadful to watch than last years team.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-13-2023)

Turn Off Ads?