Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Spring Training 2023

Re: Reds Spring Training 2023

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I figure they will need roster spots for Pinder and Alex Young (bullpen lefty) and possibly Vosler (lefty hitting Infielder) before opening day. Seems like Antone and Vlad will create two of those spots.
    I believe Vosler signed a major league deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Latest On Nick Senzel’s Injury Rehab

Nick Senzel saw his 2022 season cut a little short after fracturing a toe in his left foot in September. The injury cost him the final couple weeks of the year and lingered into the offseason, as it didn’t heal as anticipated. Senzel underwent surgery to correct the issue in the middle of November. Initial reports suggested that wasn’t expected to affect his readiness for Spring Training, though it’s not clear whether that’s still the case.

Bobby Nightengale of the Cincinnati Enquirer writes that Senzel has spent most of the offseason in a walking boot and suggests it’s now undermined when he’ll be a full-go for exhibition action. There’s still no indication the start of the regular season is in jeopardy. Nevertheless, it’s certainly not an ideal lead-up to what’s shaping up to be a pivotal year for the 27-year-old.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...ury-rehab.html

Tommy Eveld Signs With Reds

Free-agent right-hander Tommy Eveld signed a minor-league deal with the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday, according to sources. Eveld was great out of the bullpen for Triple-A Jacksonville in the last two years.

In 2022, he posted a 3.38 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 31 strikeouts and 10 walks in 34 2/3 innings pitched over 23 outings (one start). The 29-year-old has yet to make his major-league debut, but he could have a better shot of doing so in 2023 with the rebuilding Reds.

In his six minor-league seasons, Eveld has a 2.91 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 307 strikeouts and 82 walks in 266 1/3 innings covering 216 appearances (only one start).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ds/ar-AA17goZk

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Latest On Nick Senzel’s Injury Rehab

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/...ury-rehab.html
    Can anyone be surprised?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

MLB gives pitchers OK to call own PitchCom signals in spring training

Bases loaded, one out, full count and Justin Verlander knows exactly what pitch he wants to throw.

Starting this month, he can call it himself.

In yet another nod to new technology, Major League Baseball will permit pitchers in spring training to wear wristbands that will let them signal to the catcher what's coming next.

The experiment will begin Feb. 24 when exhibition play opens with Seattle-San Diego and Texas-Kansas City matchups in the Cactus League. All 30 teams are scheduled to be in action the next day.

It's an extension of the PitchCom system that MLB teams were allowed to employ last season, when catchers could push buttons on their wristbands to call for fastballs, curves, changeups and anything else, along with the location. The pitcher would then hear the result on an earpiece inside his hat.

Now, pitchers can make the calls themselves.

MLB will evaluate how things go and then decide whether to approve it for the regular season, executive vice president Morgan Sword said Thursday.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...pring-training

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I believe Vosler signed a major league deal.
    he was a non-roster invitee. do you mean he signed a contract where if he makes the club, he already has his MLB contract in place? he certainly did not sign any type of guaranteed contract. i figured he was just the typical minor league contract with an invite to spring training.

8. Likes:

mth123 (02-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    he was a non-roster invitee. do you mean he signed a contract where if he makes the club, he already has his MLB contract in place? he certainly did not sign any type of guaranteed contract. i figured he was just the typical minor league contract with an invite to spring training.
    From MLB .com Transactions

02/01/23 Cincinnati Reds signed free agent 3B Jason Vosler to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

10. Likes:

JFLegal (02-14-2023)

Re: Cincinnati Reds Spring Training 2023

Same. It's just been that way since the 60's. I cannot stop it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Antone's injury is no "little setback" if he's going to be out till the second half
    I wish the guy well; but he's had two TJ surgeries in four years, and is having issues (elbow) recovering from the second. And the fact is - fewer pitchers recover from a second TJ surgery. Those sliders and curve balls. The human arm can only take so much. He hasn't thrown a baseball in two seasons. What kind of rehab assignment is he going to need?

I hope I'm wrong as rain, but I don't see him contributing much this season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don't follow the Reds (players) as much as some of you on here do. So I am no longer as knowledgeable as many of you are. I use to, from a statistical analysis perspective; but other variables (retirement, golf, MLB in general, not being able to watch the games thanks to Bally), have greatly diminished that interest (lol). And it looks like another season of not being able to watch them.

Anyhow. What is your opinion of the two ex-Pirates the Reds have signed (Wil Myers RF, and Kevin Newman SS). The only thing I can say about Newman and the SS position is that he fits right in with the rest of the SS gang with that career .660 OPS. The guy has to be filler until Barrero or whoever shows they want the job. Sheldon seems to think he will be the OD starter at SS.

Myers has some nice career numbers; but that age (33) stares at me.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    MLB gives pitchers OK to call own PitchCom signals in spring training

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...pring-training
    I hope they encrypt the dialogue or something similar. The next wave of stealing signs.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Spring Training Awaits

Spring Training is right around the corner and this could be the most interesting Spring Training of the last decade for the Reds. While I don’t expect the Reds to have a fantastic 2023 season, Spring Training will give all Reds fans a glimpse of the future and an understanding of where the young players are at in their careers.

Elly De La Cruz and many other young individuals look to make a name for themselves this Spring, while many other roster positions will be a competition for the Opening Day roster.

Spencer Steer, Jose Barrero, Kevin Newman, Stuart Fairchild, Will Benson, and a few others will be fun to track over the month of Spring Training, as they are potentially playing for their claim of the position in March.

I am eager to see how things play out in the field, as well as the pitching rotation, as Weaver, Williamson, Cessa, and Dunn look to make an immediate impact with the Reds roster as well.

So many questions about this roster come to my mind when thinking about this season: Can Votto still play and remain healthy? Can India repeat his rookie year or was that a one-year wonder? Can Stephenson play an entire year healthy behind the plate?

Will the team be able to produce enough runs to stay competitive in the NL Central? With so many questions and zero expectations, this Spring Training will be entertaining and give us all an idea of what 2023 has in store for us. Good or bad, I am eager to watch this team progress and young players continue to improve, as there is a ton of talent in the Reds organization

https://www.nkytribune.com/2023/02/m...-brennaman-qa/

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-13-2023),Sea Ray (02-13-2023)

Jonathan India

Jonathan India broke onto the scene winning the 2021 NL Rookie of the Year with the Reds. In 2022 he dealt with nagging injuries and had a disappointment of a season.

Slashing .269/.376/.459 with 21 home runs and 69 RBIs in his rookie campaign. India struggled in 2022 posting a .249/.327/.378 with 10 home runs and 41 RBIs.

Not only did his offense take a hit, but his defense also took a huge hit. India wasn't a Gold Glove candidate but he was a very capable defender during his rookie year. He ranked as one of the worst at his position in 2022.

India is thought to be one of the franchise cornerstones, so 2023 will prove to be a big season for him as he looks to be a bright spot on a rebuilding team.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...23/ar-AA17taza

Haunted by walks

Pitchers and Catchers Day should be a national holiday, but is it today, for the Reds, when they report, or Wednesday, when they work out? Maybe it should be Pitchers and Catchers Week.

19. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-14-2023),Sea Ray (02-15-2023)

Spring Training ... "Hope springs eternal."
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-14-2023)

Turn Off Ads?