Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MLB’s Joint Competition Committee Votes To Make “Ghost Runner” Rule Permanent;

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: MLB’s Joint Competition Committee Votes To Make “Ghost Runner” Rule Permanent;

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    I don't mind the ghost runner rule, but either do it or dont. If you have to one one set of rules for the regular season and another set of rules for the post season that typically means it's a dumb rule. .
    Completely disagree with this. The difference between a 15 inning regular season game and a 15 inning post season game is that people shut the first one off and go to sleep. People at the balllpark for the first one leave and go home early. Minimum wage stadium workers don't get to go home to their families. By contrast, post-season extra inning games are great. The drama is worth all the strain on the players, broadcasters, umpires, stadium employees, etc.

The hockey analogy applies here. I'll stop watching post season hockey forever if they ever go to shootouts in the playoffs. For regular season, it's fine. .
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2023),M2 (02-18-2023),sjjones (02-20-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB’s Joint Competition Committee Votes To Make “Ghost Runner” Rule Permanent;

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    A historical thing to think about. If this rule had been in effect in 1959 then Harvey Haddix would never had a perfect game through 12 innings. It would have ended in the 10th all because of a ghostie. What a shame that would have been.
    Not necessarily. The run expectation with no outs and a runner on 2nd in the modern game is 0.54. In 1959 it was probably quite a bit less than that. The ghost runner is not an automatic run. It's slightly-more-likely-than-not an automatic run.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, I'm already there, but it's due to tanking.
    I can see why some people don't like the ghost runner rule, I like it, but I can see the other point of view.
    Point being, these new rules (DH, ghost runner, smaller expanded roster in the fall, etc) are relatively minor compared to what the tanking owners have done to this sport.
    100% yes. It's so solvable too. First round pick goes to the best record for a team not making the playoffs. Second pick goes to the second best record for a team not making the playoffs. Do this and tanking goes away immediately. Do this and every team plays to win.
    Stick to your guns.

6. Likes:

goreds2 (02-18-2023),M2 (02-18-2023),mth123 (02-18-2023),redsfan9988 (02-18-2023),sjjones (02-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Former All-Star reliever Rob Dibble says Rob Manfred's 'idiotic' rule changes won't help MLB
    continue reading here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...lb/ar-AA17CZsW
    I'm no Rob Manfred fan and I've always liked Rob Dibble but Dibble kinda reminded me of Goose Gossage in this interview. Haha
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-18-2023 at 12:22 PM.

8. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2023)

In the minor leagues the changes coming to MLB this season shaved 24 mins off the average game time. Not having a ghost runner would add a bit back on to the average game time but so what? My objection to the ghost runner is that it only penalizes pitchers (not fielders or hitters) for the game being tied, especially cases where they have pitched really well and maybe haven’t allowed a base runner reach second in 9 innings.

I escaped Hell, this is nothing.

Solomon: MLB's rules changes will require adjustment, but they'll bring better game
    Most sports fans have a love-hate relationship with new rules.
    Old-school baseball fans tend to have a hate-hate approach to change.

Baseball is a great sport. Major League Baseball isn’t always a great game.

With that in mind, MLB passed a set of rules that will make the 2023 season unlike any we have seen. That the league is willing to take serious steps to improve the game will not ruin the sport.

It will be better.

Progress is often messy. So, there will be confusion when the rules start to be enforced when spring training games begin next week.

I’m not sure the changes are all that drastic, but the baseball world will act as if the world is ending when a rule change leads to a game-winning run.

Tightening up the pitcher movement rules will affect only a handful of players, including the Astros’ Luis Garcia.

Taking the dance steps out of a handful of pitchers’ windups won’t grow the game, just take some of the personality out of it.

Not that we need more balks in baseball, but there is not much there to complain about. Umpires will just enforce the rules that are in place.

The rule says a pitcher is allowed to take a single step back and one forward, not do the Griddy before a pitch.

It’s incredible for a game that has changed so little in its basic form to have stretched so drastically in length over the years.

MLB games averaged three hours, 11 minutes in 2021. They took only 2:33 in 1981.

Much of the added time is due to the amount of time taken (wasted) between pitches. Spitting, scratching, thinking, walking, rubbing, thinking … it takes forever. Then the batter steps out of the box and the maddening process starts all over again.

The pitch clock will fix that.

It could be problematic for some. Creatures of habit will find it difficult to adjust.

But the next generation of players will play like their grandfathers did. In a reasonable amount of time.
    continue reading here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...me/ar-AA17ED3Y
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-18-2023 at 03:24 PM.

12. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, I'm already there, but it's due to tanking.
    I can see why some people don't like the ghost runner rule, I like it, but I can see the other point of view.
    Point being, these new rules (DH, ghost runner, smaller expanded roster in the fall, etc) are relatively minor compared to what the tanking owners have done to this sport.
    I'm with you on liking the ghost runner. Adds constant tension to extras. Makes sense in the regular season.

I'll probably watch more baseball this season. The big change is almost none of it will be Reds games. Kind of looking forward to it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-18-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Not necessarily. The run expectation with no outs and a runner on 2nd in the modern game is 0.54. In 1959 it was probably quite a bit less than that. The ghost runner is not an automatic run. It's slightly-more-likely-than-not an automatic run.
    Doesn't matter if the run scores or not. In my book the perfect game ends with that runner on base that really should not be there except for a little league rule.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'd accepted that the ghost runner was likely here to stay, but I REALLY dislike the league telling teams at what point in the game they can put any of their active players on the mound. If a team wants to use a shortstop as an opener for whatever insane reason, it should their business and not MLB's.

17. Likes:

M2 (02-18-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The more I think about this, the more it makes me want to not watch baseball at all. I genuinely despise the ghost runner that bad and how amateurish and little league it feels. It honestly feels just as stupid and inconsequential as a tie. And the problem is, any game could end up in extras and end up being decided by ghost runner BS. So it could strike any otherwise exciting game that you’ve been on the edge of your seat for the first 9 innings.

Really appallingly stupid change by MLB. It’s to be expected by Manfred at this point (although the pitch clock, shift ban, and bigger bases actually are good ideas!!)

I’m more pissed off at the players for whining and pushing for this because they have to play a 14 inning game once every couple years or so, whatever the stat was about that. Beyond pathetic on their part.
    I’m rooting now for them to get hit with a salary cap, because the last thing on earth I can tolerate is millionaire entertainers moaning about having to very occasionally work overtime and watering down their overall product as a result of that. MLBPA can kiss my ass.

MLB Establishes Local Broadcasting Group in Preparation to Air Games of Teams Formerly Covered by RSNs
    Diamond Sports Group (DSG) may still be working its way toward bankruptcy proceedings, but it doesn’t sound as if Major League Baseball wants to wait for the parent company of Bally Sports’ regional sports networks (RSNs) to come up with a solution to its problems.

A report from the Associated Press indicates that MLB has set up a local broadcasting group, complete with multiple executives with experience in regional sports broadcasting in preparation to take over the airing of games from DSG. If the league is not satisfied with the debt servicing plan that the company must present at the end of the 30-day grace period that began Feb. 15 when DSG missed an interest payment on its debt, it plans to take back the broadcasting rights to the 14 teams DSG currently holds.

“We’ve been really clear that if Diamond doesn’t pay under every single one of the broadcast agreements, that creates a termination right, and our clubs will proceed to terminate those contracts,” said MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said during a mid-February press conference.

DSG has the rights to air Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Guardians, Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, Minnesota Twins, St. Louis Cardinals, San Diego Padres, Tampa Bay Rays and Texas Rangers.
    continue reading:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ns/ar-AA188PGp

20. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2023)

"No, it won’t, because it’s idiotic," Dibble said. "You’re taught, and I teach this at the Little League level, and I’m saying 'Little League' very loud, that you pitch in a certain manner, a timely manner, so that your infield stays ready to play defense, your outfield plays defense. They’re ready.
    Dibs thinks he's smarter than he really is. Always been like that. He's just making MLB's point for them. That's exactly why people want pitchers working quickly. Your defense stays on their toes. And, if the games are played quicker, that's an added benefit.

People think it's about getting games over quicker. Again, that's a benefit but the real reason is pace of play. Get in the box and hit or get on the rubber and pitch. We want to see action, not some guy going back to the on deck circle for some more pine tar or some pitcher walking around the mound. I watch an NBA game and I don't see LeBron go off the court in the middle of a play to adjust his knee pads or wristbands. I watch an NFL game and I don't see Joe Burrow going to the line of scrimmage and then walking off to adjust his helmet or his socks. As much as Americans like to bag on soccer, it's nothing but action until a player is injured and acts like he's dead for 5 minutes. Even then they tack on time at the end of the half to make up for the time that was wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

M2 (03-02-2023),REDREAD (03-08-2023),Ron Madden (03-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The more I think about this, the more it makes me want to not watch baseball at all. I genuinely despise the ghost runner that bad and how amateurish and little league it feels. It honestly feels just as stupid and inconsequential as a tie. And the problem is, any game could end up in extras and end up being decided by ghost runner BS. So it could strike any otherwise exciting game that you’ve been on the edge of your seat for the first 9 innings.

Really appallingly stupid change by MLB. It’s to be expected by Manfred at this point (although the pitch clock, shift ban, and bigger bases actually are good ideas!!)

I’m more pissed off at the players for whining and pushing for this because they have to play a 14 inning game once every couple years or so, whatever the stat was about that. Beyond pathetic on their part.
    I’m rooting now for them to get hit with a salary cap, because the last thing on earth I can tolerate is millionaire entertainers moaning about having to very occasionally work overtime and watering down their overall product as a result of that. MLBPA can kiss my ass.

I did some research about a year and a half ago. I didn't look at every club -- I just chose the Reds as a sample, and looked at the number and length of their extra-inning games over the 10 years before COVID. I realize that other clubs might have slightly different totals, but it seems like a fairly decently sized sample.

In the final 10 years under the pre-COVID rules (2010-19), the Reds played 159 extra-inning games out of 1620 total games (9.8%). Only 10 went longer than 13 innings.

2019: 15 games
    10 innings - 8
    11 innings - 4
    12 innings - 2
    13 innings - 1

2018: 19 games
    10 innings - 9
    11 innings - 5
    12 innings - 4
    13 innings - 1

2017: 10 games
    10 innings - 6
    11 innings - 2
    12 innings - 1
    17 innings - 1

2016: 13 games
    10 innings - 4
    11 innings - 5
    12 innings - 1
    13 innings - 1
    14 innings - 1
    15 innings - 1

2015 - 17 games
    10 innings - 4
    11 innings - 6
    12 innings - 1
    13 innings - 6

2014: 13 games
    10 innings - 5
    11 innings - 2
    12 innings - 4
    15 innings - 2

2013: 22 games
    10 innings - 8
    11 innings - 6
    13 innings - 6
    14 innings - 1
    16 innings - 1

2012: 14 games
    10 innings - 8
    11 innings - 4
    12 innings - 1
    14 innings - 1

2011: 17 games
    10 innings - 6
    11 innings - 3
    12 innings - 2
    13 innings - 4
    14 innings - 1
    19 innings - 1

2010: 19 games
    10 innings - 11
    11 innings - 5
    12 innings - 3

10-Year Totals
    10 innings - 69 games
    11 innings - 42 games
    12 innings - 19 games
    13 innings - 19 games
    14 innings - 4 games
    15 innings - 3 games
    16 innings - 1 game
    17 innings - 1 game
    19 innings - 1 game

Seems like the "ghost runner" was a solution in search of a problem.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

24. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-03-2023),cumberlandreds (03-03-2023),goreds2 (03-03-2023),Wonderful Monds (03-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

I like it. Extra innings are way more watchable. I've started turning games on when I see they're in extra innings over the past three season as opposed to before that when I'd turn games off at the start of extra innings because the prospect of no action didn't seem worth the time investment.

Maybe if everything else makes the games shorter, they'll reconsider it. Yet I'd put my money on it being a forever thing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-03-2023)

Turn Off Ads?