Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker 'Feeling Strong' After Serious Spinal Surgery

Re: Jesse Winker 'Feeling Strong' After Serious Spinal Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except Kolten wong is an excellent player. 2 Time Gold glover who had a 110 OPS+ in 2021 and a 118 OPS+ last year. I'd trade those three pitchers for him in a heartbeat.
    Wong is solid, not sure I would call him excellent. With that said, the Mariners could have had him for just money when his option wasn't picked up by the Cardinals and he was a free agent. Usually excellent players don't effectively get released by their team in the middle of their prime, but I digress...

And Winker isn't the only player they gave up for Wong, either.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wong is solid, not sure I would call him excellent. With that said, the Mariners could have had him for just money when his option wasn't picked up by the Cardinals and he was a free agent.

And Winker isn't the only player they gave up for Wong, either.

They also gave up Toro, who they had traded Giles for the previous June and caused a HUGE clubhouse rift. Dipoto is the modern-day Frank Lane, he trades to trade sometimes it feels like. Both Winker and Toro were got for their bats, both flamed out in Seattle and Dipoto didn't want to wait to see if it could be corrected evidently

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-04-2023)

Any way you look at it, it was a Wong trade to make, for both teams.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

6. Likes:

Chip R (04-05-2023),dubc47834 (04-05-2023),Red Raindog (04-04-2023),RedTeamGo! (04-04-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Kind of funny, everyone was saying how much of a genius the GM of the mariners was for trading for Winker and crickets now that he gave up on Winker immediately and traded him to the Brewers for Kolten Wong.
    So the GM realized he'd made a mistake and did his best to rectify the situation? I'm not sure what we're trying to dunk on here.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    So the GM realized he'd made a mistake and did his best to rectify the situation? I'm not sure what we're trying to dunk on here.
    Because he sold low on Winker after an injury plagued season. Legit exactly what the Reds did with Suarez.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Because he sold low on Winker after an injury plagued season. Legit exactly what the Reds did with Suarez.
    I see two reasons why he sold low, Winker was bad fit.. there is noise about that, Winker is a DH only and the M's don't want that currently on their team.

Nonetheless they are weaker LH and they are OB challenged now, Winker solved some of that.

So I'm just going with the match was bad fit, it happens al the timer (Ask Sonny Gray)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Any way you look at it, it was a Wong trade to make, for both teams.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

11. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-05-2023)

I wish Jesse Winker nothing but the best. He's goofy and a bad defensive player but I always liked his hitting.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (04-05-2023)

Greeting alls. Wanted to join for a while. Figured after I saw a few ex reds position player updates yesterday I would.

Winker is, well, very bad. He is slugging .261 while not even playing in the field.

3 doubles 0 hrs. .610 ops

Well on his way to a second negative WAR season.

He was also recently given an automatic strike for dilly dallying outside of the box and promptly ejected.

Didn't it feel like for 3 full years from 2015-2018, winker and r Stephenson were the reds back and forth top 2 prospects for years over years over years.

Quote Originally Posted by ShuffleRed View Post
    Greeting alls. Wanted to join for a while. Figured after I saw a few ex reds position player updates yesterday I would.

Winker is, well, very bad. He is slugging .261 while not even playing in the field.

3 doubles 0 hrs. .610 ops

Well on his way to a second negative WAR season.

He was also recently given an automatic strike for dilly dallying outside of the box and promptly ejected.

Didn't it feel like for 3 full years from 2015-2018, winker and r Stephenson were the reds back and forth top 2 prospects for years over years over years.
    Welcome to the Resistance
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

16. Likes:

goreds2 (05-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by ShuffleRed View Post

This is what drove me crazy with Winker as a Red.
    The guy could not control his emotions.
    Granted, I don't know the guy, but he SEEMED very childish.
    I'm not surprised he's having trouble with new timer rules.
    That said, I hope he is able to rebound and save his career, I Don't wish anything bad on him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    This is what drove me crazy with Winker as a Red.
    The guy could not control his emotions.
    Granted, I don't know the guy, but he SEEMED very childish.
    I'm not surprised he's having trouble with new timer rules.
    That said, I hope he is able to rebound and save his career, I Don't wish anything bad on him.
    This was not that at all. He was not in the box and the pitcher was not on the mound either. They called a strike on him, he argued and they had to confer together and go over what they should do even if the pitcher was off the mound. And Winker got the strike, that enraged him and he got tossed. So now the question is, who really is at fault if both players languish before getting set? Seems like currently it's a judgement call

19. Likes:

pahster (05-24-2023),Ron Madden (05-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    This was not that at all. He was not in the box and the pitcher was not on the mound either. They called a strike on him, he argued and they had to confer together and go over what they should do even if the pitcher was off the mound. And Winker got the strike, that enraged him and he got tossed. So now the question is, who really is at fault if both players languish before getting set? Seems like currently it's a judgement call
    King Solomon would say, "Start the plate appearance with a 1-1 count."
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

21. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-24-2023),Old school 1983 (05-24-2023),REDREAD (05-24-2023),westofyou (05-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    King Solomon would say, "Start the plate appearance with a 1-1 count."
    There you go. Problem solved.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm glad we have Jake.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Turn Off Ads?