Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Reds Bullpen 2023

Cincinnati Reds Bullpen 2023

Reds have key bullpen role up for grabs
    The Reds currently have one left-handed reliever expected to be in the eight-man bullpen this season in Reiver Sanmartin. Manager David Bell wouldn't mind having a second southpaw.

"Ideally, you want to have a mix," Bell said on Friday. "Typically, you always carry more right-handers than left-handers, but having left-handed options, more than one, can really help us win. It can take some pressure off Reiver. It’s not the most important factor in who makes the team, but it is something that would be nice."

Before Sanmartin emerged as a rookie, Cincinnati didn't have enough reliability from lefty relievers in 2022. Justin Wilson was limited to five games before an elbow injury. Ross Detwiler was added in April and released by the end of August.

The competitors for the second lefty role this spring are a pair of non-roster pitchers in offseason addition Alex Young and Daniel Norris, who was signed on Wednesday.

Young, who pitched last season for the Giants and Guardians, came up with the D-backs where Bell's brother, the late Mike Bell, was a player development executive and manager.

In 25 big league appearances combined for Cleveland and San Francisco, the 29-year-old Young had a 2.36 ERA and a 2.89 FIP. He had a 54.2% ground-ball rate and did not allow a home run in 26 2/3 innings a small sample for a season but one that could be very helpful at Great American Ball Park.

notes from Friday at Reds camp

The Reds learned that infield prospect Christian Encarnacion-Strand's back injury is not serious.

“It was a little bit of a scare at first," Bell said. "Now I think he’s going to be fine in a matter of a few days. ... He had an exam done. It was something he had in the past that’s not an issue. A small aggravation. He should be back next week.”

Catcher Chuckie Robinson, a non-roster player, has yet to arrive to camp after his family welcomed a new baby.

story here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/alex-young-...n-reds-bullpen

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Reds Bullpen 2023

Sounds like Sanmartin is a relatively sure thing. That makes sense, as he was quite solid as a relief option last year after moving from the rotation.

I'd bet on Young as that second lefty too, if only because of the Bell connections.

Right now, with the news of Santillan's health issues, I'd think the following are Opening day favorites due to the mixture of experience and options:

- Diaz
    - Sims
    - Farmer
    - Sanmartin
    - Young
    - Gibaut
    - Bracho
    - Law

Norris might well take the spot of either of the last two, but no one, IMO, ahead of that.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-17-2023)

Tony Santillan looks like himself again.

Following a 2022 season that tested him physically and mentally, he could be one of the Reds best relievers.

“I see pitching from a different perspective now.”

https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/statu...DR6aeuoJQtAAAA

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Reds re-signed reliever Hunter Strickland to a minor league deal with an invite to camp.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-18-2023 at 11:09 PM.

Lucas Sims on recovery: 'Back to feeling like a ballplayer'

At the start of Spring Training in 2022, Reds reliever Lucas Sims was already feeling back soreness, and did not get into any Cactus League games. Once the right-hander debuted on April 23, his regular season lasted all of six appearances before it was all over.

By July, Sims had undergone surgery to repair a bulging disc in his lower back. He began throwing again in October, and came to Spring Training 2023 feeling 100 percent.

“It’s just night and day. It’s rekindled the love for it," Sims said of pitching pain-free again this spring. "Any time something is taken away from you, you kind of realize how much it means to you. I am back to feeling like a ballplayer, back to feeling healthy and I’m very excited.”

On Saturday, Sims was among Reds pitchers who threw to hitters in live batting practice. It's certainly a small sample, but his stuff looked good. "It was encouraging," Curt Casali said after catching Sims’ session.

The work began in Cincinnati last fall before Sims came to Arizona in December and threw at the Reds complex.

Two weeks ago, he started facing hitters for the first time in eight months."It felt great. That was a big stepping stone for me," Sims said. "This was the build-up, building up the volume, building up the intensity over time. I probably touched the mound a little more than I would in years past. I know the importance of coming in ready. Luckily we still have spring to face some hitters, iron out some kinks -- hopefully there aren’t many -- and fine-tune it for Opening Day.

Having a healthy and effective Sims back in a late-inning role to supplement closer Alexis Díaz would be a big plus for Bell's bullpen this season.

"You need multiple guys that can pitch in the ninth and get saves," Bell said. "I get having one go-to guy. If you’re winning enough games, they need help. If Lucas stays healthy, I’d anticipate him getting opportunities at the end of games."

Sims is ready to take that on again.

“It’s what I want," he said. "I want to come in for the most important part of the game. You want to be the guy that gets the job done a lot more than you don’t.”

Full Story Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/lucas-sims-...g-after-injury
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-19-2023 at 12:38 AM.

I see three lefty's now. Here is the opening day pen I think will emerge.

Diaz
    Sims
    Farmer
    SanMArtin
    Young
    Norris
    Strickland
    Santillan (if he's not ready Gibaut who will be DFA when Santillan is ready).

Strickland and Norris were terrible last year, but I think those additions improve the pen. Lets keep the career minor leaguers in AAA and off the big league roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I see three lefty's now. Here is the opening day pen I think will emerge.

Diaz
    Sims
    Farmer
    SanMArtin
    Young
    Norris
    Strickland
    Santillan (if he's not ready Gibaut who will be DFA when Santillan is ready).

Strickland and Norris were terrible last year, but I think those additions improve the pen. Lets keep the career minor leaguers in AAA and off the big league roster.
    If the choice is Norris or Gibaut for a roster spot, Gibaut would seem to have all but one of the tie-breakers in his favor: he was better last year, projects to be better this year, is cheaper, keeps the ball in the park, tends to get more ground balls (if you add his AAA numbers), gets more K's, and owns a far superior FIP. Norris has name recognition and pitches LH.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If the choice is Norris or Gibaut for a roster spot, Gibaut would seem to have all but one of the tie-breakers in his favor: he was better last year, projects to be better this year, is cheaper, keeps the ball in the park, tends to get more ground balls (if you add his AAA numbers), gets more K's, and owns a far superior FIP. Norris has name recognition and pitches LH.
    They may keep Gibaut if for no other reason than he is out of options and would have to be DFA. He gives up a ton of baserunners though. Walks 4.5+ per nine and WHIPs over 1.5 pretty consistently in his big-league time. He's 29 and has never been able to stick in the big leagues. Norris is about the same age and has at least had some history of big-league success (though he's been terrible the last couple of years). I'd rather have what's behind door number 3, but I'm not sure there are better options in camp. My hope is somebody with a future like Daniel Duarte or Ricky Karcher grabs that last spot, but I don't think they will on opening day. Duarte is my pick to emerge from the pack this year.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

When the dust settles I think Kuhnel will be vying for a spot. High ERA last year but x-ERA, FIP, x-FIP all below 4, high ground ball rate. Good K/BB ratio. BABIP victim with LD rate below 20%. HR/FB also unlucky for a GB pitcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-19-2023 at 11:10 AM.

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-20-2023),Ron Madden (02-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    When the dust settles I think Kuhnel will be vying for a spot. High ERA last year but x-ERA, FIP, x-FIP all below 4, high ground ball rate. Good K/BB ratio. BABIP victim with LD rate below 20%. HR/FB also unlucky.
    Options limit him to a second-round of look-sees in late May, I think. Similar to Duarte and Karcher.

Duarte is my pick to emerge from the pack this year.
    If Duarte can emerge like Antone and Diaz, the Red could end up with a monster bullpen... in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If Duarte can emerge like Antone and Diaz, the Red could end up with a monster bullpen... in 2024.
    I think that could happen, especially if they move some of the dubious starting candidates to the pen. Diaz, Duarte, Williamson, Boyle and Phillips would be a good start. Go get a couple legit starters and let the kids fix the pen where the chance for success is much greater.

I think that could happen, especially if they move some of the dubious starting candidates to the pen. Diaz, Duarte, Williamson, Boyle and Phillips would be a good start. Go get a couple legit starters and let the kids fix the pen where the chance for success is much greater.
    Why is Connor Phillips being relegated to the 'pen?
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    He won't be.

- - - Updated - - -

Dunn? Overton?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Too many walks to be a starter.

Too many walks to be a starter.
    Is there evidence that control issues improve upon a move to the bullpen? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm legitimately curious
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Turn Off Ads?