Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Reds Bullpen 2023

Re: Cincinnati Reds Bullpen 2023

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Is there evidence that control issues improve upon a move to the bullpen? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm legitimately curious
    Sure. no facing guys multiple times per game so shelve the weakest pitch and cut the arsenal down to only the good ones. This either leads to less walks because the pitch he shelved he couldn't control or he shelves the one that gets tattooed and the walks become less detrimental.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sure. no facing guys multiple times per game so shelve the weakest pitch and cut the arsenal down to only the good ones. This either leads to less walks because the pitch he shelved he couldn't control or he shelves the one that gets tattooed and the walks become less detrimental.
    Do either of those apply to Phillips? I don't know much about the guy other than he's a 21 year old promising starter with control issues, so I was surprised to hear the towel thrown in so early.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-20-2023)

Fernando Cruz would be in my bullpen over some of these jabronis.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-20-2023),Ron Madden (02-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Fernando Cruz would be in my bullpen over some of these jabronis.
    He's probably as good as anyone of the other jabronis, but last year he made his big-league debut as a 33-year-old. Kind of hard not to think of him as just another jabroni.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-20-2023)

On paper this bullpen looks atrocious and has the potential to be brutally bad. Still in disbelief they could not go out and spend moderately add a piece or two that could take some late inning pressure off of Diaz.

10. Likes:

Kinsm (02-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He's probably as good as anyone of the other jabronis, but last year he made his big-league debut as a 33-year-old. Kind of hard not to think of him as just another jabroni.
    I don't disagree but given options now like Strickland, Norris, Gibeaut, etc, I'm willing to put Cruz ahead of all these guys. Fully aware of his history but he was pretty good when he got his shot. In a lost year I want to see if you can get something from the fringe players. Fairchild and Fredl would be position player types.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    On paper this bullpen looks atrocious and has the potential to be brutally bad.
    Diaz is pretty good. Sims, Young, and Farmer are above average. Sanmartin showed some promise. So did Gibaut and Santillan.

Lots of fungible arms below that.

I don't think they'll get to brutally bad because of the mass of arms-- at least a couple of them will perform well enough to keep it from being a trainwreck.

They will, however, probably be pretty poor.

Alexis and the Jabrones would have been a great 80s band
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

14. Likes:

0-2 Count (02-24-2023),herbdizzle (02-20-2023),Old school 1983 (02-20-2023)

In a lost year I want to see if you can get something from the fringe players.
    Same.

I'm looking for guys who can maybe help the next time the Reds are good.

What do Benson, Barrero, and Steer have to offer offensively? Can they be added to Fraley, India, and Stephenson as a backbone of adequacy?

In the rotation, that's Stoudt and Williamson this season. In the pen, it's Karcher, Duarte, Santillan, Sanmartin, and... who?

I don't disagree but given options now like Strickland, Norris, Gibeaut, etc, I'm willing to put Cruz ahead of all these guys. Fully aware of his history but he was pretty good when he got his shot. In a lost year I want to see if you can get something from the fringe players. Fairchild and Fredl would be position player types.
    It was 14 innings. That's about the same as zero innings. I'd rather go with a guy who was at least good in the majors in the past than a 33 year old minor leaguer. Better yet, a young up and comer over a 33 year old minor leaguer.

In general, anyone age 28 and up who hasn't already established himself as a big leaguer isn't worth messing with.

Alex Young, one of the four lefty relievers in camp, looked great during his live BP session. He drew a lot of whiffs with his changeup, drawing praise from his teammates who were watching. He struck out Jose Barrero and Jake Fraley in back-to-back at-bats.

https://post.news/article/2M9vB7zY61P2pLXpIOIvYmWXQal

When new Reds reliever Casey Legumina was struggling in the rotation for the Minnesota Twins’ Double-A affiliate last season, the organization moved him to the bullpen. He found one silver lining. When he’s pitching out of the bullpen, he gets to throw his fastball more often.

“I feel like I have a special fastball,” Legumina said. “I throw decently hard and have pretty good location with it. With my arm slot, if I throw where I need to, I have a lot of success with it. I rely on it a lot. It’s a power pitch and something I get good swing and miss on.”

The Reds acquired Legumina when they dealt shortstop Kyle Farmer at the start of the offseason. Legumina posted a 3.57 ERA with 32 strikeouts in 22 ⅔ innings out of the bullpen in Double-A last season, and he could be a part of the Reds’ long-term solution in the bullpen.

Legumina, 25, is in big league camp competing for a spot on the Opening Day roster, and his fastball is one of the most interesting pitches in camp. He releases it from a low slot, with his right arm about five feet off the ground. With his arm coming from that angle, Legumina releases the ball closer to the plate than most pitchers, which means it arrives at the plate faster than expected. He mixes in a slurve and a changeup, but Legumina’s fastball is the biggest reason that the Reds targeted him and have him on the 40-man roster.

“As a starter, I tried to think too much instead of going with my fastball, which is a strength of mine,” Legumina said. “Out of the bullpen, I was really challenging guys more with it. It led to better success.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...age=AA17TRvH|1

19. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (02-24-2023),UKFlounder (02-24-2023)

Brother's injury spoils moment of elation for Alexis Díaz
    It took only seconds for one of the most thrilling moments of Reds closer Alexis Díaz's playing career last week to turn into one of the worst.

As Puerto Rico celebrated defeating the Dominican Republic, 5-2, on Wednesday to advance to the quarterfinals of the World Baseball Classic, Díaz watched in horror as his brother, Mets closer Edwin Díaz, collapsed with a right knee injury. He was helped off with a wheelchair.

"It was supposed to be a moment of celebration, and then that happened, and just the next couple of days were tough," Díaz said

Díaz returned to Reds camp after Puerto Rico was eliminated in the quarterfinals by Mexico on Friday. He struggled in that game after entering with a 4-2 lead in the seventh. He faced three hitters and allowed one hit and two walks. All three runners scored during Puerto Rico’s 5-4 defeat.

It proved difficult for Díaz to pitch with a heavy heart.

"I try to find ways to get those thoughts out of there," he said. "I went out there trying to find that type of way, but I still had it in my mind, and I couldn't get it out."

Alexis was back in Reds camp on Sunday and was slated to pitch in a Minor League game at the team's complex on Monday.

"I'm coming back with a positive mentality, much more focused for the rest of the season, and it's going to be a great one."

"He’s going to be fine," Bell said. "I spent some time with him yesterday. Him and his brother are really close. What a great opportunity, first of all, to have that chance. When something like that happens, it’s one thing when it’s your teammate, and then a brother. … He seemed to be in a very good frame of mind and ready to get back to it."

In 59 appearances last season as a rookie for Cincinnati, Díaz led the club in both wins (seven) and saves (10 in 14 opportunities) while posting a 1.84 ERA and 0.96 WHIP. Over 63 2/3 innings, he struck out 83 batters with 33 walks and five home runs allowed.

Story Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/alexis...seball-classic

Hunter Strickland

In the middle of the season in 2022, David Bell broke from his typical managing style and named Hunter Strickland the closer.

Bell prefers to rotate a mix of pitchers through high leverage situations, but he felt like Strickland had the mentality to get the final outs. The issue was that when Strickland pitched in those big moments, he didn’t have the pitches he needed to close out the games.

The Reds counted on him to lead an inexperienced bullpen that was cobbled together with waiver claims and minor league free agents. Strickland, 34, posted a 4.91 ERA in 66 games last season, and he knew his season wasn’t good enough.

“The hitters told me,” Strickland said. “Last year wasn’t a great performance, personally or collectively as a group. It’s a game of adjustments. And it was time that I made one.”

Strickland is back in Reds spring training, this time on a minor league deal. He’s one of 11 relief pitchers in camp competing for eight spots in the Reds bullpen. He’s counting on a new splitter to better prepare him for his 10th MLB season.

Strickland had always relied on his fastball-slider combo. He never threw a ton of strikeouts, but Strickland was a solid middle reliever with a 3.18 ERA between 2015 and 2021.

Then last season, Strickland had the worst year of his career. During a 100 loss season for a Reds team that desperately needed some consistency, Strickland had seven saves and blew six.

When he hit free agency at the end of the season, Strickland wanted a second chance in Cincinnati.

“On a personal level, with my performance last year, I feel like I have unfinished business here,” Strickland said. “The relationships that were created here are real and genuine and I wanted to see those through. My heartstrings feel like I needed to come back here and finish what we started on a better note.”

Strickland’s spring training hasn’t helped him pick up much momentum. Entering Wednesday’s game, Strickland has allowed six runs and three home runs in seven innings. He’s currently competing with Derek Law, Joel Kuhnel, Alex Young and others for one of the final spots in the Reds bullpen.

Reds manager David Bell has said that he values Strickland’s experience, durability and availability. Heading into the final week of spring training, Strickland is hoping that those strengths help him lock down a roster spot.

“My (spring) numbers speak for themselves and don’t dictate how I feel personally,” Strickland said. “I’m feeling a lot of improvement with my offspeed pitches and how I’m using them. Over the course of the season, those numbers will even out and prove that what I’m doing is in the right direction.”

https://postino.gannettdigital.com/P...Q-E-NLETTER31/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-21-2023 at 12:24 PM.

2023 Reds Bullpen

Name:  D814C630-8501-4AD3-8704-8E9F803CBAAD.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  155.4 KB

23. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (03-21-2023),mth123 (03-21-2023),RiverRat13 (03-22-2023),Ron Madden (03-21-2023)

Turn Off Ads?