Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Favorite beers?

Re: Favorite beers?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't drink a lot of beer anymore, but when I do I prefer the lighter fare. Its the kind of beer you can pretty much drink in any setting, hot, cold, nice, etc. I like Trotwood at Warped Wing, and is my go to if I see it on a menu. Clean, crisp, refreshing, that is what I look for in a beer.

I always thought Rhinegeist's initial offering was fantastic. Truth may be my favorite IPA (although it will knock you on your ass) and Cougar is my favorite Rhinegeist beer of all time. I do like their Mathlete, a very drinkable IPA, and Cheetah is a quality lighter beer. But if you go to their location, you will be smacked over the head with IPA after IPA after IPA. I guess it gives the master brewer more control and creativity to brew a beer. But after a couple your taste buds are gone!

I haven't been in a while, but Taft's used to have my favorite beer lineup.

While we are on the topic of beer, I went to Brink a few months ago and they had a a chili mexican beer on tap and while it was good, the after taste had a real kick to it. Its one those beers where you drink it, like it, then are chugging water a few minutes later.
    Ironically IMO the best beer Rhinegeist ever made was a brown ale called Squirrel. I think it comes out once a year. Try it if you ever get a chance

To me it's OK if a brewer has its specialties even if it's not my thing so I have no problem with all the IPAs Rhinegeist does. A lot of craft brewers like IPAs 'cause they're cheap to make. It only takes about 2 weeks

2. Likes:

SunDeck (05-19-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Ironically IMO the best beer Rhinegeist ever made was a brown ale called Squirrel. I think it comes out once a year. Try it if you ever get a chance

To me it's OK if a brewer has its specialties even if it's not my thing so I have no problem with all the IPAs Rhinegeist does. A lot of craft brewers like IPAs 'cause they're cheap to make. It only takes about 2 weeks
    Rhinegeist Squirrel is excellent. Probably among my top two from there along with Ink (and its cousin Cafe Ink).

They also made a chocolate version of their Panther (Chocolate Panther) that was terrific too, but I think they've only brewed it once or twice.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Don't like my beer tasting like the leftover in a glass the morning after a party.

Don't care what kind as long as it's ice-cold.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Heavily hopped ales are easy. More hops and more suger means less subtlety, which is why, aside from taking longer, lagers are more difficult to brew.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

For an out-of-towner, give me your top 3 must-visit Cincinnati breweries. I like most styles but lean towards ales. Atmosphere counts too. It’s ok if a place is busy (because that’s generally a good sign) but if it’s packed to the gills, no thanks.

Go!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    For an out-of-towner, give me your top 3 must-visit Cincinnati breweries. I like most styles but lean towards ales. Atmosphere counts too. It’s ok if a place is busy (because that’s generally a good sign) but if it’s packed to the gills, no thanks.

Go!
    If you want atmosphere included ... Rhinegeist, MadTree and Taft's Ale House.

And I say that as someone who likes stouts, porters, marzens, winter warmers, etc ... which Rhinegeist and MadTree typically shy away from. I've griped to the guys at Rhinegeist multiple times for brewing too many IPAs and Pale Ales. But the atmosphere at those places is top notch.

Taft's is special because their Maverick Chocolate Porter is out of this world, though last time I was there it wasn't available. And the setting in a renovated old church is really neat.

Honorable mention goes to the Samuel Adams taproom and Fifty West. If you like a beach setting, Fifty West has a nice outdoor area in white sand. I could list more too, but I already cheated and gave you five when you asked for three so I'll just stick with this for now.

9. Likes:

RichRed (06-29-2023)

Go!
    Depends on the atmosphere you’re looking for. All of them have at least one good ale. Some have outdoor areas, some lean towards young 20’s, some are further out in the suburbs, etc.

My favorite ale is sold by MadTree, but it tends to be much busier - a college age crowd - than I prefer for example. Where as Sonder and Third Eye are much more breathable atmospheres yet lesser quality beer imho.

There are so many breweries within a 25 mile radius of downtown, I’d almost argue we’re getting over saturated.

11. Likes:

RichRed (06-30-2023)

Definitely not at the top of my list, but I'm currently drinking a pretty tasty Founder's All Day IPA. With my daughter going to Western Michigan next year, I was already excited about Bells in Kalamazoo, but I feel like having Founders in Grand Rapids is a nice bonus!

13. Likes:

moewan (06-30-2023)

Founders is a lawn mowing on 90 degree day beer.

Bell’s is a million times better.

If you want a milder version of MadTree, go to MadTree Alcove. Nice vibe, little more civilized, same beer, and great food.

Oh, and my son is executive chef
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

RichRed (06-30-2023)

Go!
    Impossible to pick three for me and my answers will likely vary based on recency. But I like to think of it almost by parts of town…

I feel like Urban Artifact, just because of its’ sheer uniqueness, should be on the list. Solid taproom/outdoor space also. Fruited sours aren’t everyone’s thing tho… You could, from there head a little further north to West Side and Brink and not get a bad beer at either place. If you’re not a sour beer person, replace UA with Fibbonacci. They probably have the most unique taproom experience in the city.

If you’re sticking to the core, Rhinegeist, the Sam Adams taproom, and up the hill to Esoteric would be a great troika.

Slightly further north and west… Listermann, Nine Giant (killer food here also, and they don’t distribute much, so this is the only place you can find them), and High Grain would make an amazing afternoon.

All the way north, I’d say Third Eye, Sonder, and Common Beer Company in Mason. Common is tiny and understated, which is my jam.

If you made me pick 3 for all the money in the world: the Sam Adams taproom is pretty incomparable. Their co-ops from Cincinnati State’s brewing program craft a lot of their taproom-only specialties, so you’ll get something unique, and the quality of their brew house technology and the quality of ingredients they can get make them a pretty special spot. It’s super lager-heavy though.

For the other two, I’d say West Side and High Grain. They both have a super solid core group of beers and their seasonals don’t miss. Both are solid taprooms as well. High Grain has good food also.

Esoteric would probably be 4th. Beer is great and super chill vibe. More jazz club than brewery.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

18. Likes:

RichRed (06-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If you want a milder version of MadTree, go to MadTree Alcove. Nice vibe, little more civilized, same beer, and great food.

Oh, and my son is executive chef
    Too far for me to go and drink. I don’t drink that often, when I do it’s in my neck of the woods. Actually, 90% of my summer beers are from Armco softball complex.

Edmund’s Oast in Charleston SC has a few of my faves. Something Cold (Blonde Ale) and Out of Time (IPA).

In-laws live just off Kiawah Island. Low Tide Brewing makes The Ocean Course Pale Ale. As in the official beer of the Ocean Course. Available at about 3 places on the planet. So so good.

Terrapin Brewing in Athens GA with a nice Mexican Lager: Los Bravos. Ubiquitous around here during baseball season.

Edit: Also gotta give a shout out to Red Oak in North Carolina..Super good amber.
    Last edited by 15fan; 06-29-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Definitely not at the top of my list, but I'm currently drinking a pretty tasty Founder's All Day IPA. With my daughter going to Western Michigan next year, I was already excited about Bells in Kalamazoo, but I feel like having Founders in Grand Rapids is a nice bonus!
    Founders is my all-time favorite brewery.

I've been to their Grand Rapids taproom three times, all due to vacationing somewhere in northern Michigan and deliberately driving through Grand Rapids because of Founders. It's worth a stop every time you're in the area.

I've been to Bells once. It was nice, though it was more of a restaurant type setting than hybrid brewery/restaurant. But still worth visiting if you're in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    There are so many breweries within a 25 mile radius of downtown, I’d almost argue we’re getting over saturated.
    Never speak these words again.

That said, the competition is going to knock a few off over time. It happened with Blank Slate a number of years ago, which was disappointing because their Opera Cream Stout was amazing. Platform picked it up, but it wasn't the same. Then Platform tried selling out to ABI only to have that blow up in their face.

Valley Vineyards/Cellar Dweller is hanging on by a thread this year after a mistake business deal (scam artist) almost put them out over the winter. I think it'll survive, though the winery will take priority over the brewery if something has to shut down.

And that's the risk with some awesome beers ... you may never see them again.

All that said, every time I travel somewhere out of town I'm reminded of how good we have it for craft beer in Cincinnati. I've never been to any other city that has as much to offer for craft beer/breweries in a 25 mile radius.

Turn Off Ads?