Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woe is me

Woe is me

Hello RedsZone. Today was the worst day of my professional life. I’m going to spend the next several paragraphs complaining about it. Feel free to stop reading now. That’s probably what I would do if the situation was reversed.

I work in the restaurant industry. I started as a server in 2013 and went in to management after about a year. I’ve worked for a few different concepts. For awhile, I had to work night shifts - my kids were pre-school age and I had to be with them during the day - my wife is a teacher. But a couple of years ago, my youngest started public school and I was able to really focus on my career. In October of last year, I was promoted to General Manager of my home restaurant. We are a large - but old and struggling - chain. I’ve put in 60 hour weeks with an inexperienced management team trying to ensure that we continue to eke out a profit in a highly competitive field. I’ve spent my own money running Facebook ads and my personal time handing out free dessert cards to apartment complexes and hotels. My restaurant has show growth - up almost 10% in YoY sales for a brand that’s down 10% overall. The last few months have been some of the most challenging and rewarding of my professional life.

A couple of weeks ago, I hosted a meeting with some executives from another concept that wants to sell their product as delivery-only using our facility as a “ghost kitchen.” We cleaned, prepared, and practiced for this meeting. Three young executives from the other concept came to meet with me. We made small talk about our shared previous employment with Chili’s. I took them on a tour of my restaurant and we lightly discussed line schematics and strategies for executing their food in our kitchen.

Today, I found out that the deal is off. The young executives I met with claimed that the restaurant is dirty and the product isn’t being held at the proper temperature. They shared this opinion with my corporate bosses. Days - not weeks - but DAYS before this visit, we got our quarterly health inspection. The inspector spent 3 hours in my restaurant and measured the temperatures of about 40 items across the cook line and our three walk-in coolers. All 40 temperatures were squarely safe and appropriate. She walked throughout the whole facility - the kitchen, bar, front-of-house, restrooms, etc and found ZERO sanitation issues. We received a score of “1” which in Texas is equivalent to an A.

But somehow… in 10 minutes, these executives found temperature and sanitation issues that a professional health inspector couldn’t find in three hours.

Now, instead of being a (relatively) young, rising star GM, I’m the guy who cost the company a boatload of money - in the corner, wearing a dunce hat. I might get fired - that’s entirely within the realm, but even if I don’t, my reputation is irreparably damaged. My building is old - but we are clean and compliant with health standards. We are crushing projected sales numbers and controlling our costs. This company wanted to back out of the deal and used my restaurant as an excuse - disregarding any personal or professional collateral damage might be pinned on me.

I’ll be fine. I’m a 35-year-old white male with loads of experience. Millions of people would kill to have the privilege I have. Still, it makes me want to stop trying. I’ve given all I can and it doesn’t matter.

Maybe I should learn to cook meth…

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Woe is me

Corporate politics is the worst. If you have the chance, break out on your own.
    I did at 30, and had to reinvent myself and the business twice since then (I'm 62 now), but ZERO regrets.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Now, instead of being a (relatively) young, rising star GM, I’m the guy who cost the company a boatload of money - in the corner, wearing a dunce hat. I might get fired - that’s entirely within the realm, but even if I don’t, my reputation is irreparably damaged. My building is old - but we are clean and compliant with health standards. We are crushing projected sales numbers and controlling our costs. This company wanted to back out of the deal and used my restaurant as an excuse - disregarding any personal or professional collateral damage might be pinned on me.
    Question- Has any of the above been communicated by the person/people you report to, or is it your own assumption of how you're now viewed, or will be perceived by your organization's leadership going forward? If it's latter, you might do well to have a fact-finding conversation with the person to whom you report. You might find out that your company values you a lot more than you think and maybe even shares your opinion that the "executives" you met with are slimeballs. Never let your actions, stress level, or feelings of your own value be impacted by anything but truth.

Even if your worst-case scenario is confirmed, you at least have closure and a good reason to start looking for other opportunities with companies who would almost certainly climb over each other to acquire a talented, highly-motivated leader with a documented history of excelling. You might not realize it, but some sections of your post represent a pretty good start to what should be an impressive cover letter. Well, except for the "meth" thing. You might want to leave that out...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-23-2023),BoxingRed (03-01-2023),dubc47834 (03-01-2023),M2 (02-27-2023),Redhook (02-23-2023),Redsfaithful (02-23-2023),redsfan9988 (02-23-2023),RiverRat13 (02-23-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Question- Has any of the above been communicated by the person/people you report to, or is it your own assumption of how you're now viewed, or will be perceived by your organization's leadership going forward? If it's latter, you might do well to have a fact-finding conversation with the person to whom you report. You might find out that your company values you a lot more than you think and maybe even shares your opinion that the "executives" you met with are slimeballs. Never let your actions, stress level, or feelings of your own value be impacted by anything but truth.

Even if your worst-case scenario is confirmed, you at least have closure and a good reason to start looking for other opportunities with companies who would almost certainly climb over each other to acquire a talented, highly-motivated leader with a documented history of excelling. You might not realize it, but some sections of your post represent a pretty good start to what should be an impressive cover letter. Well, except for the "meth" thing. You might want to leave that out...
    Most of my post was an emotional and alcohol-fueled stream of consciousness aided by insomnia.

I appreciate this response. I have full confidence in myself as an operator, and the restaurant industry is one of the top fields in which to fail upwards. I’ll be fine - and I will look for other opportunities.

The meth thing stays in the cover later. Take it or leave it.

7. Likes:

SteelSD (02-23-2023)

My son worked for a ghost kitchen when he first got to LA. They made him a ton of promises - none of which they kept. While you may end up somewhere else, you (and your company) actually dodged a bullet.

By the way, it was unclear how the ghosts were able to find the issues from the description of the tour you gave - is it possible they were trying to shake down your restaurants management (i.e. make it so expensive for them to fix these "issues" that they have to close down the kitchen and they then come in and takeover the lease themselves).
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    My son worked for a ghost kitchen when he first got to LA. They made him a ton of promises - none of which they kept. While you may end up somewhere else, you (and your company) actually dodged a bullet.

By the way, it was unclear how the ghosts were able to find the issues from the description of the tour you gave - is it possible they were trying to shake down your restaurants management (i.e. make it so expensive for them to fix these "issues" that they have to close down the kitchen and they then come in and takeover the lease themselves).
    I doubt it. I think their concerns were genuine. Our building is literally 50 years old. It’s leaky, creaky, and very lived-in. Our equipment is old and duct taped as well. When they came by, we were in the middle of lunch.

If I start soliciting bids to fix the systemic issues with the building and equipment, corporate will simply close down the restaurant. They’re not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to keep it open. I’ll be fine, but we have many long-tenured hourly employees that don’t deserve that.

In reality, our corporate office didn’t seem super serious. I’ve been in-role for a few months. They gave me like 2 days warning that this meeting was happening. They sent no one. They left it entirely up to me to wow these people in my 50 year old building during lunch with no corporate support.

My fear is that this gives my direct bosses in operations plausible deniability and an easy scapegoat. We’ll see how it works out.

And I agree about ghost kitchens. All third-party delivery is a mess. There’s no quality control. You can execute your end perfectly and some DoorDash driver can drop the food twice and eat the French fries and it’s your fault. Rubbish.

I’ve had these kinds of things happen in my just-concluded 48 year professional career. No matter how diligent you are, no matter how excellently you perform, no matter how unfair it is, something will happen. And I hate to say it, but it’s probably not the last time. Goes with the territory of ascending the corporate ladder.

All I can say is continue doing what you’re doing. You sound like you are excellent in what you do. Taking the long view, this is just a blip on the radar. I know it’s a bitter pill, I know it stings, but keep doing what you’re doing. It will pay off.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-23-2023),redsfan9988 (02-23-2023),RFS62 (02-25-2023),westofyou (02-23-2023)

Oh, and never EVER send an email or make a phone call in the heat of the moment. You can write out the email, but sit on it for 24 hours (or better yet, delete it). Never react with just emotion. Let it sit for a while. Solicit feedback like this or with trusted cohorts. But let the emotions bleed out first.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-23-2023),Redhook (02-23-2023),RFS62 (02-25-2023),Sea Ray (02-23-2023),SteelSD (02-23-2023),SunDeck (02-25-2023)

Cream rises to the top.

I'd simply be truthful with your opinion regarding this (and your effort before this) with your bosses and cite the data from the "legal" and "recorded" health inspector, tell them that you'll take that over any "they said" stories.

If you trust in yourself then you'll get by this, because as Roy said it's always bound to happen sometime.

Plus, every time a window closes a door opens elsewhere

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Oh, and never EVER send an email or make a phone call in the heat of the moment. You can write out the email, but sit on it for 24 hours (or better yet, delete it). Never react with just emotion. Let it sit for a while. Solicit feedback like this or with trusted cohorts. But let the emotions bleed out first.
    Email like it's going to be on the front page of your local paper the next day

15. Likes:

Redhook (02-23-2023),redsfan9988 (02-23-2023),RFS62 (02-25-2023),Roy Tucker (02-24-2023),SunDeck (02-25-2023)

There is a lot of great advice here. You didn't get to your current position by being lazy, uncommitted, unreliable and if the company doesn't recognize that, it's their problem and not yours. You have plenty to contribute somewhere, maybe at your current workplace, maybe somewhere else.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-01-2023)

And I agree about ghost kitchens. All third-party delivery is a mess. There’s no quality control. You can execute your end perfectly and some DoorDash driver can drop the food twice and eat the French fries and it’s your fault. Rubbish.
    Question- how much time/effort does your company put into honing the quality of their take-out packaging? I would think that package design and execution would be a growth opportunity for a restaurant at this point. My wife and I pretty consistently use DoorDash, and have so for a few years. By now, we've identified the restaurants use packaging where we can expect our order to arrive in one piece at a solid temperature, and which are less trustworthy. There are a couple of good ones locally, but mostly we see generic foam to-go boxes with multiple staples in them. That seems wrong.

Then there are restaurants where we love the food, but know we shouldn't dare order it for delivery. But my wife is heavily addicted to French onion soup, so she keeps playing the roulette wheel with one of them. This usually results in a plastic bag full of chunky warm liquid, me peeling pseudo-melted Havarti off the container holding the burger she lovingly "ordered" for me as nothing more than a pretense to justify the soup, and fries that now need life jackets. If you can fix that for everyone, you'd be her hero. I would also be very appreciative, as it would avoid me needing to play additional rounds of the "So, who's fault is this REALLY?" game when she inevitably brings up requesting a refund. Thank you.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Most of my post was an emotional and alcohol-fueled stream of consciousness aided by insomnia.

I appreciate this response. I have full confidence in myself as an operator, and the restaurant industry is one of the top fields in which to fail upwards. I’ll be fine - and I will look for other opportunities.

The meth thing stays in the cover later. Take it or leave it.
    Walter White.... Rage and venting is a part of life. Imo it is hard enough as is to get through life. So be it is not some outburst in public or directed at someone. On another forum recently I went off on a profanity tirade against some family members.

Working 60 hour work weeks in the restaurant industry shows you work very very hard. I'm sure you'll be fine

Take a step back.

Breathe.

Don't rush into ANYTHING.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I doubt it. I think their concerns were genuine. Our building is literally 50 years old. It’s leaky, creaky, and very lived-in. Our equipment is old and duct taped as well. When they came by, we were in the middle of lunch.

If I start soliciting bids to fix the systemic issues with the building and equipment, corporate will simply close down the restaurant. They’re not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to keep it open. I’ll be fine, but we have many long-tenured hourly employees that don’t deserve that.

In reality, our corporate office didn’t seem super serious. I’ve been in-role for a few months. They gave me like 2 days warning that this meeting was happening. They sent no one. They left it entirely up to me to wow these people in my 50 year old building during lunch with no corporate support.

My fear is that this gives my direct bosses in operations plausible deniability and an easy scapegoat. We’ll see how it works out.

This was going to be my take: they wanted to back out for another reason and used that as a reason. When it comes to business people often back out with cold feet or become disinterested and then they need to find a reason that sounds different than that because they dont want to become known as a tire kicker.

When I have to let an employee go, often the reason is not the reason I give. Same with hiring. if you passed an inspection, then clearly they had another concern- and it may or may have had anything to do with you.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (02-27-2023),REDREAD (03-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    This was going to be my take: they wanted to back out for another reason and used that as a reason. When it comes to business people often back out with cold feet or become disinterested and then they need to find a reason that sounds different than that because they dont want to become known as a tire kicker.

When I have to let an employee go, often the reason is not the reason I give. Same with hiring. if you passed an inspection, then clearly they had another concern- and it may or may have had anything to do with you.
    So, if their lips are moving, they're lying?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?